Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

3 hours ago, namarie said:

I applied to Alabama and still haven't heard anything. The status bar at the top of my application page still says 'evaluation'. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. 

Same here. It just says that the application has been sent to the dept for review. According to last year's posting, it should be anytime now or mid Jan. The stress of waiting is indeed killing me too... :/ 

Has anyone heard back from the schools they've applied to yet? I've heard back from two so far (one interview, one rejection).

Anyone?

Just now, emhopefulme said:

Same here. It just says that the application has been sent to the dept for review. According to last year's posting, it should be anytime now or mid Jan. The stress of waiting is indeed killing me too... :/ 

Yes, mine has said that since mid-December! I really hope it comes soon. When I looked through last year's results it seemed like there weren't a ton of postings for UA? Can't exactly say seeing those postings helped the stress though! 

7 hours ago, emhopefulme said:

Anyone out there who applied to the clinical psych program in University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) and University of Louisville? 

Have you guys receive anything from the schools? 

I also haven't heard anything from U Alabama T yet! Fingers crossed for both of us :) 

7 minutes ago, namarie said:
5 minutes ago, lola4 said:

I also haven't heard anything from U Alabama T yet! Fingers crossed for both of us :) 

Yes, mine has said that since mid-December! I really hope it comes soon. When I looked through last year's results it seemed like there weren't a ton of postings for UA? Can't exactly say seeing those postings helped the stress though! 

Seems like the few of us here have not heard from U of Albama T. I guess we will just have to wait... Stay positive! :) 

12 minutes ago, lola4 said:

Has anyone heard back from the schools they've applied to yet? I've heard back from two so far (one interview, one rejection).

Anyone?

I have also heard back from two programs with the same result. Although it is looking more and more like a rejection from another program as I see interview invites build up. I'd say it is deserved because I did not specifically address the points in the SoP for that program (and a few others..).

@lola4 if you're not familiar with the results page, you can search for your specific field (and even program/school) to see if people are hearing back. Although people may not post right away or at all! Psychology is here, you can change parameters to say "clinical" or whatever: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=psychology

I've heard definitively from 2 (invites) and had a positive phone interview the other day with a 3rd. Waiting on several others. One program I applied to notified applicants before xmas break, and I've heard nothing. I'm trying not to anticipate a rejection just because I haven't heard anything--I see no reason to think negatively about what I "should" have done better in that application. Getting invites from my top choices definitely helps me feel better though.

Good luck everyone :)

55 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

@lola4 if you're not familiar with the results page, you can search for your specific field (and even program/school) to see if people are hearing back. Although people may not post right away or at all! Psychology is here, you can change parameters to say "clinical" or whatever: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=psychology

I've heard definitively from 2 (invites) and had a positive phone interview the other day with a 3rd. Waiting on several others. One program I applied to notified applicants before xmas break, and I've heard nothing. I'm trying not to anticipate a rejection just because I haven't heard anything--I see no reason to think negatively about what I "should" have done better in that application. Getting invites from my top choices definitely helps me feel better though.

Good luck everyone :)

Thank you!!!

9 hours ago, emhopefulme said:

Anyone out there who applied to the clinical psych program in University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) and University of Louisville? 

Have you guys receive anything from the schools? 

I was just reading on the results page (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=psychology) and it looks like one or two have heard from U of Alabama T. :( Not sure what this means for us yet...

9 minutes ago, lola4 said:

I was just reading on the results page (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=psychology) and it looks like one or two have heard from U of Alabama T. :( Not sure what this means for us yet...

I know, I'm trying not to feel devastated, but it's hard. :( 

Edited by namarie

You guys are amazing.  I JUST found out today that I did not get into Temple (reasonable safe to conclude at this point) - I wanted to check up on when my schools (Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Georgetown, Temple, Boulder, New Mexico, SUNY Buffalo, Syracuse, URI) were beginning the invite process.  I saw on Temple's website that the interviews were being conducted Jan 16 - and was like woah, that is in 10 days.  Until today I was pretty sure that I would at least get an invite, coming from Stony Brook with a high gpa, lots of research and TA experience, and shining recommendations from well known psychologists - boy was that bubble burst haha.  Until I found you guys, I was pretty butt-hurt, and started to be all, "well if I didn't get in to Temple, I can say goodbye to Georgetown, Princeton, Boulder, Carnegie, and maybe UNM)," but the wise grad student overseeing my current research project explained to me that she was rejected from St John's and other lower tier schools, yet got accepted to Stony Brook (clinical), and I mean I know that it is all about fit and such, but man, I def feel the salt.

TLDR; Temple apparently did phone notifications over vacation break, and I did not get one :((((

Edited by haiqtpi

14 hours ago, emhopefulme said:

I'm trying to tell myself that they are of a different track to comfort myself... ????

I think that the best thing we can do is give ourselves a realistic date to set our expectations on. In previous years people didn't hear back until mid-late January. Some people have heard now, which is early and they are probably standout applicants, but that shouldn't necessarily deter us from thinking we will hear back with good news. I would say if we don't hear anything by Jan 20th we can be worried, but until then we should keep our heads up :) 

Edited by S.Elizabeth

I also applied to Alabama... It looks like some people have already been notified but it was by their POI. So there may still be hope! 

I have received 2 interview invitations so far which I am ecstatic about! One of them I interviewed with last year, so I feel that it is a good sign that I was invited to interview once again! 

Good luck to everyone! I have been checking my email every 10 minutes and will be for the next couple of weeks so I understand the stressfulness. I do know that several of the schools that I applied to have already sent out invitations. But going through the process again this year I expected it. Honestly the whole process is so weird because the program is looking for "fit" you could be more qualified than another applicant but not "fit" as well. So keep your heads up! 

48 minutes ago, LabyrinthianMind said:

Envious of those of you in the states... you have so much action on the response front! Why can't Canada get on it? This waiting game is torture! 

I'm right there with you.  It's torture.  I can only think of one other time in my life that I've been this anxious. We didn't apply to any common schools, though!

Just now, LabyrinthianMind said:

None in common? Really? Where did you apply? 

U of Toronto, U of Ottawa, McMaster, Trent, Carleton.  Child clinical/developmental programs. (If you know anything any of those programs, feel free to share!)

Just now, Piagetsky said:

U of Toronto, U of Ottawa, McMaster, Trent, Carleton.  Child clinical/developmental programs. (If you know anything any of those programs, feel free to share!)

Ah I see - I'm not looking to focus on child/developmental programs, so that must be why we don't have overlap. Have you heard from any schools yet? What's your top choice? I have a friend at U of Toronto in child clinical, she loves it there.

3 minutes ago, LabyrinthianMind said:

Ah I see - I'm not looking to focus on child/developmental programs, so that must be why we don't have overlap. Have you heard from any schools yet? What's your top choice? I have a friend at U of Toronto in child clinical, she loves it there.

U of Toronto is my dream school.  I'd do anything to get in there, though I understand my chances are slim being an international student and all :)  I haven't heard from any schools yet, but three of those deadlines haven't passed and Ottawa is still sorting through applications.

18 hours ago, haiqtpi said:

You guys are amazing.  I JUST found out today that I did not get into Temple (reasonable safe to conclude at this point) - I wanted to check up on when my schools (Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Georgetown, Temple, Boulder, New Mexico, SUNY Buffalo, Syracuse, URI) were beginning the invite process.  I saw on Temple's website that the interviews were being conducted Jan 16 - and was like woah, that is in 10 days.  Until today I was pretty sure that I would at least get an invite, coming from Stony Brook with a high gpa, lots of research and TA experience, and shining recommendations from well known psychologists - boy was that bubble burst haha.  Until I found you guys, I was pretty butt-hurt, and started to be all, "well if I didn't get in to Temple, I can say goodbye to Georgetown, Princeton, Boulder, Carnegie, and maybe UNM)," but the wise grad student overseeing my current research project explained to me that she was rejected from St John's and other lower tier schools, yet got accepted to Stony Brook (clinical), and I mean I know that it is all about fit and such, but man, I def feel the salt.

TLDR; Temple apparently did phone notifications over vacation break, and I did not get one :((((

It says on the interview invites page (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=temple+psychology&t=a&o=) that all Temple applicants were notified via email. I still have not heard but have decided not to give up hope until the end of the week. From what I have seen on that link in past years, it seems that some programs (Temple included) have given candidates little notice in advance before an interview...sometimes even a week's notice. Has anyone had short turn around times like that in past admissions cycles?

And your grad student is right! It hurts to have these implied rejections, yet I think that the most important thing is fit. And you also don't know what type of candidate exactly they were looking for! Basically -- don't give up hope yet!

42 minutes ago, pink_freud said:

It says on the interview invites page (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=temple+psychology&t=a&o=) that all Temple applicants were notified via email. I still have not heard but have decided not to give up hope until the end of the week. From what I have seen on that link in past years, it seems that some programs (Temple included) have given candidates little notice in advance before an interview...sometimes even a week's notice. Has anyone had short turn around times like that in past admissions cycles?

And your grad student is right! It hurts to have these implied rejections, yet I think that the most important thing is fit. And you also don't know what type of candidate exactly they were looking for! Basically -- don't give up hope yet!

I was talking to my research mentor about applications and interviews recently, and she said that many programs do have short turn around times and assume that two weeks is probably enough to plan a trip somewhere. Hope that helps!

Edited by S.Elizabeth