Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

1 hour ago, CanadianPoliGuy said:

oh wow, mine just changed again from "Review in progress by department" to "Recommended for Assessment."

same here!

what's your status at Munk? still say "under review?

From reading previous years' threads it looks like Munk has had mixed reviews; has anyone heard anything new about the MGA?

I applied to NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA and Munk. Originally I thought BSIA would be my first choice due to the small size and generous funding opportunities, but the idea of living right in Toronto is now growing on me...always hearing of conferences and lectures there I wish I could attend. Plus I think my enthusiasm for working for the government has waned lately and I'm now looking more into the private sector.

For GSPIA I'm not even sure what my application status is. They seem pretty disorganized, I'm not impressed. After initially applying they asked for all my supporting documents by e-mail, but a few days after sending everything in I got a reply saying they didn't have time to print my documents, so I would have to mail them...and even now after several e-mails and calls their web portal claims they're still missing one of my transcripts.

For NPSIA I'm on "Recommended for Assessment" and with BSIA it says "No decision has yet been made by the academic department."

From Munk I got an e-mail offer of admission on Tuesday, but they didn't say anything about funding. Deadline is March 15 to respond.

My status changed from review in progress to recommended for assessment this afternoon too! 

I too had some difficulty with GSPIA, but it just seems like they are very slow to update Infoweb. Despite what Infoweb said, there actually ended up being no problem with my application.

I don't know very much about Munk, but I know a little bit about BSIA. I didn't apply because I am interested in the public service and I would like a change from Waterloo after doing my undergrad here, but I have had many classes with profs affiliated with Balsillie/CIGI and I have gone to events and panels put on by CIGI. The campus is beautiful and the faculty are great. I know a few people who are currently attending and they all seem more than happy. Waterloo is not the most exciting city, but at least it is pretty cheap there! If you are considering it, you should definitely find the time to visit.

Also waiting on NPSIA like a lot of others here, good luck to us all :o

I applied to a bunch of programs but left out Munk because of 1) the cost, and 2) desire to work in the public sector. Heard good things about the MGA program but it definitely seems to have more of a private sector, business-like vibe, which doesn't align with my own interests. I'm sure many of you have seen this but here's an article about what Canadian scholars think:
https://www.opencanada.org/features/canadas-ir-scholars-who-they-are-and-where-they-think-you-should-go-to-school/

My top choices were NPSIA and GSPIA, so I was happy about acceptance into GSPIA! For anyone else choosing between NPSIA and GSPIA, I'm curious as to how you're going to choose between the two once you inevitably get in ;) 

Here's a reddit thread that's helped me somewhat. Still interested in your opinions though, and hope to meet some of you in Ottawa!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/3qllk8/international_affairs_masters_in_ottawa_npsia_vs/

On March 4, 2016 at 5:19 AM, JmaJeremy said:

From reading previous years' threads it looks like Munk has had mixed reviews; has anyone heard anything new about the MGA?

I applied to NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA and Munk. Originally I thought BSIA would be my first choice due to the small size and generous funding opportunities, but the idea of living right in Toronto is now growing on me...always hearing of conferences and lectures there I wish I could attend. Plus I think my enthusiasm for working for the government has waned lately and I'm now looking more into the private sector.

For GSPIA I'm not even sure what my application status is. They seem pretty disorganized, I'm not impressed. After initially applying they asked for all my supporting documents by e-mail, but a few days after sending everything in I got a reply saying they didn't have time to print my documents, so I would have to mail them...and even now after several e-mails and calls their web portal claims they're still missing one of my transcripts.

For NPSIA I'm on "Recommended for Assessment" and with BSIA it says "No decision has yet been made by the academic department."

From Munk I got an e-mail offer of admission on Tuesday, but they didn't say anything about funding. Deadline is March 15 to respond.

How do you check BSIA status online? Which of their programs did you apply for? I haven't managed to do that for MIPP through WLU's site. 

14 hours ago, jeandan said:

Also waiting on NPSIA like a lot of others here, good luck to us all :o

I applied to a bunch of programs but left out Munk because of 1) the cost, and 2) desire to work in the public sector. Heard good things about the MGA program but it definitely seems to have more of a private sector, business-like vibe, which doesn't align with my own interests. I'm sure many of you have seen this but here's an article about what Canadian scholars think:
https://www.opencanada.org/features/canadas-ir-scholars-who-they-are-and-where-they-think-you-should-go-to-school/

My top choices were NPSIA and GSPIA, so I was happy about acceptance into GSPIA! For anyone else choosing between NPSIA and GSPIA, I'm curious as to how you're going to choose between the two once you inevitably get in ;) 

Here's a reddit thread that's helped me somewhat. Still interested in your opinions though, and hope to meet some of you in Ottawa!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/3qllk8/international_affairs_masters_in_ottawa_npsia_vs/

Waiting on NPSIA like most people here and freaking out because you guys all sound AWESOME haha

Thanks for sharing these links again jeandan. I also referenced the same when doing my research :). I come from a business background and looking to switch up my career. I have to agree that when I read up on Munk, the school sounded too business-like and not academic focused, which is not what I'm looking for.

Can anyone shed some light on NPSIA's coop/intern situation? It sounds like the "official program" was removed but does NPSIA have a good network for summer opportunities?

I had to Email Tabbatha a few additional doc's on Friday and it looks like she's out until March 8 so I'm not sure if we'll hear anything new in the next couple of days. Her out of office says "If you have applied to the MA International Affairs (MA or MA-JD) programs we hope to have information out  mid to late March." so fingers crossed to all until then! :)

22 hours ago, Reen said:

How do you check BSIA status online? Which of their programs did you apply for? I haven't managed to do that for MIPP through WLU's site. 

I only applied to MAGG and I can check through the U of Waterloo Quest portal.

For Laurier it looks like you should be able to check here though: https://telaris.wlu.ca/ssb_prod/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

Hey guys, I just spoke to Ena from BSIA for the MAGG program - first round offers have gone out (via phone calls) and any second round offers will go out approx after 2 weeks. 

Also, any MPPPA Concordia applicants - The committee meets Tues afternoon (March 8th). Emails should go out Wednesday or later this week. You can call Julia (Poli Sci Grad officer) on Wednesday to find out the decision as well. 

Has anyone heard anything today? I haven't heard back from any of the schools and I'm wondering if they are all just going to make offers  in the second round of admissions which will be by mid-march

2 hours ago, SNowB said:

Has anyone heard anything today? I haven't heard back from any of the schools and I'm wondering if they are all just going to make offers  in the second round of admissions which will be by mid-march

I haven't heard anything.

I'm not sure if UofT's MA in European Affairs has sent out offers yet or not, but I know MGA did send their first offers in early March and has given candidates until March 15th to respond, so likely MGA's second round will go out late-March. BSIA has sent out its first offers as well.

Somebody above wrote that Carleton will make first round decisions mid-late March too.

I've had a couple of friends get offers and scholarships from UofO and BSIA now. Still nobody I know has heard from NPSIA though.

One friend also got an offer from the Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs at UBC with no deadline.

Edited by JmaJeremy

Got acceptances last week to Munk with 12,500 and to the UBC MPPGA with 10,000. Both have expensive tuition, and both admissions letters give me a March 15th deadline to accept the scholarship offer, which is stressfully soon... so many decisions, especially as still waiting to hear back from several programs (UofT MPP, SFU MPP, and George Washington U Elliott School MA)

1 hour ago, 11698242 said:

For those who are waiting on GSPIA and/or NPSIA and have March 15th deadlines for other offers, what is your plan? Ask for an extension? Pay the deposit?

My deadline for GSPIA was crazy early so I figured my best plan was to just accept it and wait to see what other offers would come in. Don't know how comfortable you feel with accepting and then rescinding, but in the end my rationale was that it's not too big of a deal for the school and you have to do what's best for yourself long term. However, if you don't have to wait too long before getting results back from other schools I'd just ask for an extension

For those who are waiting on GSPIA and/or NPSIA and have March 15th deadlines for other offers, what is your plan? Ask for an extension? Pay the deposit?

I'm turning down Munk. GSPIA is giving me until the 25th to respond, so hopefully I'll hear back beforehand!

Munk doesn't seem to want a deposit so I'll probably accept there if I don't hear from anywhere else by the end of the week, then decide what to do if I later get in elsewhere. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to answer my question. I recently noticed that on my Infoweb account there's a Grades and Registration link now under Admissions. I was wondering if that is there for everyone? I can't seem to remember if it was always there, or if it just appeared overnight.

5 hours ago, 11698242 said:

At this point I think I'll end up accepting Munk. After discussing more with my professors, really BSIA and Munk are the best two for me, and since I know BSIA has already sent out their first offers, and since I don't think I'd choose NPSIA now even if I do get an offer, Munk it is.

2 hours ago, AH1123 said:

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to answer my question. I recently noticed that on my Infoweb account there's a Grades and Registration link now under Admissions. I was wondering if that is there for everyone? I can't seem to remember if it was always there, or if it just appeared overnight.

Hello,

Not sure if this helps but mine goes from "Admission, Finance- Awards, Grade, Registration, Services, Logout"

What does the status of everyone's NPSIA say? Mine still reads 'preliminary review required' and I'm freaking out a little! I also saw that someone posted on the results page that they had been offered a place on the MA - has anyone else heard back yet?

18 minutes ago, hopefullywaiting said:

What does the status of everyone's NPSIA say? Mine still reads 'preliminary review required' and I'm freaking out a little! I also saw that someone posted on the results page that they had been offered a place on the MA - has anyone else heard back yet?

Mine says "Recommended for Assesment" so still nothing.