WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I just reserved a hotel room for my trip to Cornell this week and never has a phrase so clearly summarized my poor student status:

"Your luxurious hotel room offers the following amenities at no charge to you: toilet, shower, bed"

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I just reserved a hotel room for my trip to Cornell this week and never has a phrase so clearly summarized my poor student status:

"Your luxurious hotel room offers the following amenities at no charge to you: toilet, shower, bed"

You'll have to update us on just how "luxurious" the amenities are :P

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

A toilet, shower, AND bed?? You are living the dream. lol

Edited by marycaryne

On 2/28/2016 at 7:36 PM, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

@PattiJeane Fuller house = terrible. Had some good points, but Stephanie had an English accent, then snapped out of it. Weirddd!

Yeah I just watched the first episode and agree it wasn't great.  I think it was a huge slap in the face that the Olsen twins didn't at least do a brief cameo since their entire empire exists because of that show.  Adult Stephanie just wasn't believable to me at all.  I dunno she liked to argue so much as a kid I figured she'd be an attorney.  When the original ended I always thought they should have had Danny go to New York to reconnect with Vicky.  So now we have the reboot and no Vicky.  *lame*  And Nicky and Alex as dumb surfer kids?  Seriously?  I will say it is absolutely ridiculous how hot John Stamos still is.  Thank heavens Grandfathered is a much better show so I can get my fix.

1 hour ago, Nirvik said:

So to sum it up, it's the typical Oscar winning movies. Some particular elements of the movie was great, but overall it was Meh, so-so. Got the picture. I will consider watching The Revenant instead. 

I didn't think it would win awards at all. Lol. I didn't even realize that the movie was big enough to be noticed by the Academy. Lol. Apparently it was that good cause it won all those awards. Lol

Just now, raaawr said:

I didn't think it would win awards at all. Lol. I didn't even realize that the movie was big enough to be noticed by the Academy. Lol. Apparently it was that good cause it won all those awards. Lol

Apparently the story was really good or so I have heard. I guess that's why it got noticed. Anyways, gonna watch it soon before making further comments on it. The last good movie I saw of Leo was Django. Fabulous performance by him.

Edited by Nirvik

Happy Leap Day, everyone! Heed the advice of Leap Day William and take a chance today! Or watch a Quantum Leap marathon or something. I think it's still on Netflix. :)

As we wind down on Februgatory, may we reflect on  what we've learned lo these 29 days. Waiting is agony, and sometimes rejection is sweeter when it means the blessed relief from pain (I wouldn't know; I'm still waiting).

I'm feeling positive about this week, though, as Friday is March 4th, the only date all year that's a complete sentence. Ranking right up there with May the 4th and its connection to the Force.

Ah, but what else doth March ring in? Yea, the Ides. I declare all of March past the 4th to all be the Ides of March, despite it technically being only the 15th. For I fear that after this week, if we haven't heard, it's probably a whole lotta not good. Listen to your soothsayer, Caesar, and maybe don't let Brutus near the weapons.

Still waiting to hear from schools but right now I just don't care. One way to cure admissions stress is to have a 5 year long relationship end last night. I have buckets of tea, chocolate and reading for assignments, because let's face it, any work I do right now ain't going to be pretty. I went to buy a sports bra because in all my training and life stress, I've lost a tonne of weight, and on my way back I stepped in dog poo. Please please please tell me you guys are having a better day?

7 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Still waiting to hear from schools but right now I just don't care. One way to cure admissions stress is to have a 5 year long relationship end last night. I have buckets of tea, chocolate and reading for assignments, because let's face it, any work I do right now ain't going to be pretty. I went to buy a sports bra because in all my training and life stress, I've lost a tonne of weight, and on my way back I stepped in dog poo. Please please please tell me you guys are having a better day?

Wow.... that's really sucky. I was kind of having a shitty week last week, but now, in perspective... it really wasn't that bad. 

I will be sending happy tea thoughts your way.  

Just now, sjoh197 said:

Wow.... that's really sucky. I was kind of having a shitty week last week, but now, in perspective... it really wasn't that bad. 

I will be sending happy tea thoughts your way.  

Thanks, I do love tea! Glad I can help put shitty weeks in perspective :)  And I didn't get the fellowship at the one school I've so far been accepted at so now I gotta wait to hear about TA funding. I just want to curl up under the duvet and not come out for a week.

18 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh, gosh, I'm sorry, @hippyscientist. :( Hang in there. Breakups suck.

Can anyone suggest a good drama for me, please? As it just turned to be March (I am in Asia), my brain is so messed up and now I need a decent drama to watch to get my brain distracted. I've watched and loved 24, Walking Dead, White Collar, Newsroom, New Girls, Modern Family, Suits, etc. Any drama with no-out-of-trend season 1 will be great. 

9 minutes ago, wishthebest said:

Can anyone suggest a good drama for me, please? As it just turned to be March (I am in Asia), my brain is so messed up and now I need a decent drama to watch to get my brain distracted. I've watched and loved 24, Walking Dead, White Collar, Newsroom, New Girls, Modern Family, Suits, etc. Any drama with no-out-of-trend season 1 will be great. 

Watch Two and a Half Men or House M.D., if you haven't seen them that is.

Edited by Nirvik

7 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Thank you! Yep they suck but better now than when we'd moved in together. On a totally unrelated note, how much chocolate is acceptable to eat in a day? I'm verging on 4 creme eggs...

Way more than 4 creme eggs. :) 

I'm a trained pastry chef, and I can tell you with confidence that one can eat quite a lot of chocolate in one day. :D 

Just now, Neist said:

Way more than 4 creme eggs. :) 

I'm a trained pastry chef, and I can tell you with confidence that one can eat quite a lot of chocolate in one day. :D 

Hmmm trained pastry chef eh? Can you make gluten-free pastry?? Because I would love a pain au chocolat right about now!!!

Getting antsy since I haven't heard back from a program that has a fellowship deadline of March 1. It's not required, but it'll give a stipend of $30k vs the standard $13k GRA. Nothing has been posted on the results thread so far, so I'm holding out hope that no one has heard (vs acceptances already having been sent out last week and I just wasn't amongst them). The program told us last week that they would try to get back to us *all* by last Friday or this Wednesday at the latest. You have to be nominated by the program before applying, which entails writing a 4 page double spaced essay. Fingers double crossed. 

Edited by artsy16

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

Hmmm trained pastry chef eh? Can you make gluten-free pastry?? Because I would love a pain au chocolat right about now!!!

Hm. Gluten-free laminated dough? That's a tough one, though I think you could make something similar. 

I'd look into a gluten-free flatbread recipe, maybe a roti or something similar, then use a chocolate spread on it and roll it up. Not exactly the same thing, but I bet it tickles the same snack urges. :) 

7 minutes ago, Neist said:

Hm. Gluten-free laminated dough? That's a tough one, though I think you could make something similar. 

I'd look into a gluten-free flatbread recipe, maybe a roti or something similar, then use a chocolate spread on it and roll it up. Not exactly the same thing, but I bet it tickles the same snack urges. :) 

Oh I like your thinking. I've got a focaccia down to a tee, so maybe I'll make it super thin and stick nutella on it...

Thanks Neist!!!

I emailed POI and got rejection email today. The result is expected. I feel quite happy to finally receive the result, even though it is a rejection, from that school after waiting for so long with no response.

No more mental cost for that school :D

1 hour ago, Nirvik said:

Watch Two and a Half Men or House M.D., if you haven't seen them that is.

Thank you. I will try them once I am done with POI. The only reason I tried POI was because I was too familiar with the word during application process.