Fall 2016 - Master of Health Informatics University of Toronto / Master of Science in eHealth McMaster University

bluejays

4 hours ago, shee_0907 said:

congrats! i really wonder if most people get in after the interview as they would treat the interview as a formality. Or they really select/filter off people after the interview. But, looking at this trend it seems like most people do get accepted lol 

did you have your interview and recieve the email from iris?

4 hours ago, tealogic said:

No acceptance for me today :( 
But hopefully soon

honestly i think that iris has your file on the desk but she left for the day.you will hear back on monday for sure. i am just kinda worried abt the grad office..i hope they dont create a problem. i am sure they wont but you know, your mind wonders.

Good luck to all of you...if anyone still hasn't done the interview and has questions let me know and i can help you out i still remember most of the questions

UofT or Mac? 

Mac= full funding (TAship, research funding, scholarship), will be continuing my undergraduate thesis research

UofT=UofT 

Me=very confused 

28 minutes ago, elizabwur said:

UofT or Mac? 

Mac= full funding (TAship, research funding, scholarship), will be continuing my undergraduate thesis research

UofT=UofT 

Me=very confused 

thats a question for when you get he official accpetance from both schools

Just now, Dwabtit said:

thats a question for when you get he official accpetance from both schools

That's true- UofT says it will be sent shortly & same with Mac. I don't foresee any issues. 

41 minutes ago, elizabwur said:

UofT or Mac? 

UofT=UofT 

Me=very confused 

That's like me! Queens for public health or mac for ehealth? Queens needs to know by April 1 :s so confused!

1 hour ago, musicfreak said:

That's like me! Queens for public health or mac for ehealth? Queens needs to know by April 1 :s so confused!

That's awesome...have you received official acceptance from Mac? If not I would call and iris and see if she can push your up through the grad dept

1 hour ago, elizabwur said:

That's true- UofT says it will be sent shortly & same with Mac. I don't foresee any issues. 

If your goal is to stay in academia then go for uft but if you want to work in the field I think Mac has better relationships with empolyers I also spoke to some uft ppl in the program and they said that alot of the "placements" were non paid whereas at Mac only a few were unpaid. But uft has a better reputation abroad and in Canada outside Ontario. If I were in your situation I would go to uft just because thier program is shorter and I can be out working alot quicker

I am in the same dilemma. Mac eHealth or UofT Health Informatics? I will be doing extensive research prior to making my decision. I will share my thoughts in regards to both programs. Please feel free to continue to express your thoughts about both programs. It will make the decision easier for all of us.

I only applied to Mac and no other grad program since really wanted this one. (In hindsight I should also have applied to U of T as a backup but oh well). :P

I personally chose to apply at Mac for several reasons. One of them is location convenience. I also went to see Iris last year regarding this program to ask some questions and she was so helpful and kind and passionate about the program which made me feel like I would be comfortable there, she went above and beyond to follow up with me when I had questions or needed any help afterwards over email. I liked the fact that the program at Mac is relatively small (about 45 people). I am not sure about U of T program size but I like the idea of knowing everyone in your class very well and being able to make connections in this kind of a close-knit setting (friendship and professional as well). Although if U of T is bigger there may be more opportunities if you meet the right people depending on preference. I also was very intrigued by the 8 month co-op since I feel like practical experience is the most valuable aspect of getting a job in the future (me coming from a nursing background where my previous placements landed me my current job) and the longer I have placement, the more practical experience. Also as someone from a healthcare background and Mac being known for healthcare programs for me it may be beneficial to be at Mac in some ways, versus someone with a computer science or business background may benefit from the reputation of U of T. I also had asked my interviewers what they liked about Mac and how it stood out as compared to other programs since they were both alumni. They told me they liked the 8 month co-op and also the fact that Mac had a specific business stream which other universities typically don't have. They said that gives you an opportunity to take business courses and learn maybe about management or something related to that area rather than just healthcare & computer science. I guess bottom line is I dont know too much about the U of T program but those are some of the reasons I chose Mac.

8 minutes ago, tealogic said:

I only applied to Mac and no other grad program since really wanted this one. (In hindsight I should also have applied to U of T as a backup but oh well). :P

I personally chose to apply at Mac for several reasons. One of them is location convenience. I also went to see Iris last year regarding this program to ask some questions and she was so helpful and kind and passionate about the program which made me feel like I would be comfortable there, she went above and beyond to follow up with me when I had questions or needed any help afterwards over email. I liked the fact that the program at Mac is relatively small (about 45 people). I am not sure about U of T program size but I like the idea of knowing everyone in your class very well and being able to make connections in this kind of a close-knit setting (friendship and professional as well). Although if U of T is bigger there may be more opportunities if you meet the right people depending on preference. I also was very intrigued by the 8 month co-op since I feel like practical experience is the most valuable aspect of getting a job in the future (me coming from a nursing background where my previous placements landed me my current job) and the longer I have placement, the more practical experience. Also as someone from a healthcare background and Mac being known for healthcare programs for me it may be beneficial to be at Mac in some ways, versus someone with a computer science or business background may benefit from the reputation of U of T. I also had asked my interviewers what they liked about Mac and how it stood out as compared to other programs since they were both alumni. They told me they liked the 8 month co-op and also the fact that Mac had a specific business stream which other universities typically don't have. They said that gives you an opportunity to take business courses and learn maybe about management or something related to that area rather than just healthcare & computer science. I guess bottom line is I dont know too much about the U of T program but those are some of the reasons I chose Mac.

that is very well put. have you recieved the email from iris yet?

49 minutes ago, Dwabtit said:

that is very well put. have you recieved the email from iris yet?

I have not however I'd like to think it's because I applied for thesis stream and since I technically have no research experience they want to see if there are more preferable candidates who have more research experience before they give me an acceptance. After I applied though I thought about it and I might prefer course stream anyway...pros and cons. But yeah I'm being hopeful because my interview didn't go that horribly lol

5 hours ago, Dwabtit said:

If your goal is to stay in academia then go for uft but if you want to work in the field I think Mac has better relationships with empolyers I also spoke to some uft ppl in the program and they said that alot of the "placements" were non paid whereas at Mac only a few were unpaid. But uft has a better reputation abroad and in Canada outside Ontario. If I were in your situation I would go to uft just because thier program is shorter and I can be out working alot quicker

I don't want to stay in academia, however the funding opportunity at McMaster is amazing- I think pursuing research would allow me to get to where I want to be. Especially with an 8 month internship. 

1 hour ago, tealogic said:

I met several technical issues of the online-apply system and Iris helped me a lot. She is really a warm and helpful person. The intern opportunity is pretty attractive since I want to have a job asap. It is nice to know people from different professional areas since I am a software programmer and have no much chance to meet people from business/healthcare field.

1 hour ago, tealogic said:

I have not however I'd like to think it's because I applied for thesis stream and since I technically have no research experience they want to see if there are more preferable candidates who have more research experience before they give me an acceptance. After I applied though I thought about it and I might prefer course stream anyway...pros and cons. But yeah I'm being hopeful because my interview didn't go that horribly lol

You are probably right. The university wants to be sure for thesis candidates because thesis students get more money from university but also because McMaster is really research focused espically in healthcare.

48 minutes ago, elizabwur said:

I don't want to stay in academia, however the funding opportunity at McMaster is amazing- I think pursuing research would allow me to get to where I want to be. Especially with an 8 month internship. 

Yea the funding is amazing..I also looked at the fee schedule and its only 7-8k a year so not that expensive to start with. TA positions should help with that... I am pretty sure we have to find those ourselves. Plus the the 8 month internship should help as well.

2 hours ago, muckcityallstars said:

Has anyone else heard back from the U of T MHI program yet?

Yes, I received an acceptance on Monday. Between Mac MSc eHealth & UofT MHI. 

2 hours ago, Dwabtit said:

Hey you received an official acceptance letter from McMaster?

Not an official acceptance from the grad office

Edited by elizabwur