18 hours ago, plume said:

@Puffer Fish Shoot! I would keep calling in for those observation hours (I am running into the same problem of no one calling me back, too!) or maybe a short-term low-commitment volunteer experience? I know it's not ideal, but I was told by a professor at a program's open house to call and get a LoR fro a professor, even if it's been many years. You already have two academic letters, so maybe that would be your last choice.

I unfortunately have not had a chance to make any calls today but I may try tomorrow (the curse of having a 9-5 job when most of the places you want to volunteer are also 9-5!).

Today's mission was to register for the GRE, but GRE's system is being updated (aka: currently borked) so I can't even login. I did re-register for Magoosh though, so at least I can start reviewing tonight if I choose. Now to just actually sign up for the silly test and I can start getting really back into the groove of applications. I NEED to get my writing score up if I want to even consider a certain in-state school that's currently off my list due to their hard 4.0 writing cutoff..

ETS has been glitchy for days...weeks? Last week  it kept saying that certain dates were open, and when I went to click to see times, it would then say "no available seats." Frustrating, and took a few days for me to finally be able to register. 

1 hour ago, jmk said:

ETS has been glitchy for days...weeks? Last week  it kept saying that certain dates were open, and when I went to click to see times, it would then say "no available seats." Frustrating, and took a few days for me to finally be able to register. 

Mine was telling me my username/email combo didn't exist! I had to be on hold with CS for one 20 minute stint and then one 30 minute stint. My problem was fixed in about 2 minutes and I was able to register for my test. Blaaaagh.

Now I just...have to actually study and try not to think about how much the GRE costs. T_T

Hi everyone! I got into grad school last cycle (Fall 2016 cohort)! If anyone is looking to get personalized help from someone who went through the process and got in on their first try then please feel free to contact me on the "mentr " app. I am very familiar with CSDCAS and California programs, here's my link:

https://mentr.app.link/RCyh9dPSFw

I feel like I'm accidentally turning this thread into "pufferfish complains about her application problems" but here we are again.

I still can't find a backup professor to write letters for me! I'm gonna try to contact more SLP places today about internship stuff. But I'm still probably gonna get nothing. Blarg.

• 2 weeks later...

After spending all summer stalking these forums, I'm so excited to be able to begin the application process this cycle! My signature says it all, but I'm especially hopeful for CU Boulder and CSUF. I'm just worried that my GRE scores might not be high enough! Good luck to everyone applying! 

@Puffer Fish I feel you about finding a backup professor! A professor who told me at the end of Spring semester that he would write me a letter hasn't been responding to my emails and his office hours are at a really inconvenient time for me. Hopefully I'll be able to catch him soon and that he keeps his word! 

On 9/14/2016 at 8:23 PM, OneTwenty3 said:

Hi everyone! I got into grad school last cycle (Fall 2016 cohort)! If anyone is looking to get personalized help from someone who went through the process and got in on their first try then please feel free to contact me on the "mentr " app. I am very familiar with CSDCAS and California programs, here's my link:

https://mentr.app.link/RCyh9dPSFw

I clicked the link but curious is there a cost?

On 8/9/2016 at 3:11 PM, ElKel87 said:

Out-of-field/career changing applicant (completed undergrad in 2009), applying for Fall 2017! Very impressed and maybe a little intimidated by everything I've been reading on this forum. I've spent this year taking pre-reqs online through Northwestern's Pre Speech Pathology program and I'm just excited to get going on applications!

Anyone here applying to schools in the NY area? I'm looking at Columbia, NYU, CUNY Hunter and NY Medical College.

I'm also applying to some NY schools including columbia and hunter, good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, I finally remembered my password! lol

Better news: My backup professor agreed to write for me, and I finally got that observation at the hospital! It turns out the assistants were directing me to the voicemail of a guy who DOESN'T HAVE A PHONE...so that's why he wasn't returning my calls.

Now to spend my downtime at work working exclusively on application stuff today and I'll be feeling awesome. Gotta get this stuff done!! I'm so tired of having letters and app fees and etc hanging over my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh.  Rant incoming. I don't feel like making a new thread so I'm reviving my dead one.

I've changed my mind in the past two weeks. A lot.

I went from being stoked about SLP two weeks ago to being very 'meh' late last week, to having an identity crisis over the weekend and wanting to be a veterinarian of all things...only to finally, *finally* land in the 'I want to do computational linguistics and research' side of things. I've toyed with this for a long time on and off and only recently started feeling like I'm smart enough that I could actually do it...I know I've always been smart enough but being depressed makes you lie to yourself. :-P (also I don't mean that you aren't smart if you're in slp! that takes a lot of smarts and dedication too as we all know)

But I now have like...maybe 5% interest in slp and my family is still insisting I finish my applications. I still have a month of student observation/shadowing to go. I honestly don't know if I'm going through a phase or if I genuinely don't want this anymore. I am starting to feel like I'm worried I *will* get in somewhere instead of the opposite. I also have outside pressure to get done with school by 26 and have a career with insurance so my parents can stop putting me on their insurance but that's only 3 years from now and that's not enough time aaaaah /panic

Please help I don't know what i'm doing and I can't get my brain to un-stick on compling research. T_T

Edited by Puffer Fish

6 hours ago, Puffer Fish said:

Ugh.  Rant incoming. I don't feel like making a new thread so I'm reviving my dead one.

I've changed my mind in the past two weeks. A lot.

I went from being stoked about SLP two weeks ago to being very 'meh' late last week, to having an identity crisis over the weekend and wanting to be a veterinarian of all things...only to finally, *finally* land in the 'I want to do computational linguistics and research' side of things. I've toyed with this for a long time on and off and only recently started feeling like I'm smart enough that I could actually do it...I know I've always been smart enough but being depressed makes you lie to yourself. :-P (also I don't mean that you aren't smart if you're in slp! that takes a lot of smarts and dedication too as we all know)

But I now have like...maybe 5% interest in slp and my family is still insisting I finish my applications. I still have a month of student observation/shadowing to go. I honestly don't know if I'm going through a phase or if I genuinely don't want this anymore. I am starting to feel like I'm worried I *will* get in somewhere instead of the opposite. I also have outside pressure to get done with school by 26 and have a career with insurance so my parents can stop putting me on their insurance but that's only 3 years from now and that's not enough time aaaaah /panic

Please help I don't know what i'm doing and I can't get my brain to un-stick on compling research. T_T

Oh man, that's a lot to deal with! If I were you, I'd probably try to stick out the rest of the application process and shadowing/observing. Keep applying because it's always good to have a back up plan! And while you're observing try to think about what it is about this field that you won't like and don't want. I think anything you can learn about yourself through your experiences (even if it's that you don't like what you're observing) is super helpful and worth learning. As someone who frequently wonders if big decisions are actually phases, I'd recommend writing down your thoughts so you can revisit them when you aren't feeling as intensely or forget why you were feeling a certain way. 

What process/schooling would you need to go through to pursue computational linguistics and research? Would it require pre-req classes? 

My heart goes out to you, friend. Life is stressful but you seem rather determined and resilient! 

Hello everyone. 

Question. I just submitted my CSDCAS to 11 different schools. Today my calculated gpa was posted and I was a little caught off guard. I read all the FAQ's but afraid that my GPA is much lower than the work I have put in since becoming a major in CSD. 

Since I am a transfer student, my GPA did not transfer, only the credits did. My freshman year was not the best and I got 2 C's as an Education major. Those C's arereally affecting my calculated GPA on the CSDCAS along with a few classes in the major that I retook as a CSD major that are calculated into this new GPA  

My question is do people know if schools look at the last 60 credits? Or look at the overall GPA and use that as an accurate measurement? Feeling nervous if I should apply to more schools outside of the CSDCAS. Thoughts?

Hi Kerp! I am in the same boat as you in terms of my GPA being altered by my teen years -- I also did not know they would count because the institution I transferred to did not take the GPA.

I have been told that you can write a short, appropriate note in your SOP explaining the lower GPA (it depends on HOW much lower to see if it is worth it). Also, there are many schools that focus on the last 60 credits but some programs focus on the cumulative. Maybe if you list the schools you're applying to we can let you know if we know that they focus on the last 60? There is also a thread on this forum of schools people have found that do this.

Is anyone else stressed out about applications right now?? I'm starting to think I need to change my school list a little now and it keeps growing... eek! Must stop!

17 hours ago, plume said:

Is anyone else stressed out about applications right now?? I'm starting to think I need to change my school list a little now and it keeps growing... eek! Must stop!

YES! I had a nightmare last night about the interview process at one of the schools I'm applying to and I'm still 2 weeks away from even submitting my application! I also recently added two more schools to my list and they require most of the materials to be mailed in which is an extra layer of stress I wasn't worried about before. Plus... I'm an out-of-field applicant and am working full time until I start school and the reality of what it's going to be like to go to school full time with little to no source of income is starting to sink in.

Sorry... I know that wasn't reassuring or helpful at all but just know you're not the only one stressing out! :)

Would anyone be willing to share how many schools they are applying to? I have heard/read different advice, and clearly this differs depending on how competitive of an applicant you are, but I am curious! I have a low cumulative GPA so I have a pretty long list as of now.

Hello, I'm from Nepal and planning to apply for Fall 2017 in MSc CS. Currently preparing for my GRE. Though I'm not from the "Speech-Language Pathology" field excited to be a part of this thread.

PS: It would be very helpful if anyone could recommendation me with some universities that provides better assistantship to international students in these program.

Thanks.

Edited by sthshilu

2 hours ago, sthshilu said:

Hello, I'm from Nepal and planning to apply for Fall 2017 in MSc CS. Currently preparing for my GRE. Though I'm not from the "Speech-Language Pathology" field excited to be a part of this thread.

PS: It would be very helpful if anyone could recommendation me with some universities that provides better assistantship to international students in these program.

Thanks.

Perhaps you should try the computer science subforum instead! They'd be able to have better, relevant suggestions for you. :)

Hey @plume, I'm applying to 14. My list was at 27 but I had to have a "come to Jesus" moment on a lot of schools. My fiance (soon to be husband in April--whoop whoop!) is applying to med school so we both had to really narrow down our choices to what was not just attainable with our grades, but also affordable. Plus, holy moly, each application costs a minimum of $100 due to fees, transcripts, GRE scores, etc. Most of the programs I am applying to are online that way I can follow him wherever he goes, but I am starting to really second guess whether or not I will get in.

I had posted my stats earlier on but I would love for others to weigh in on my chances (if you don't mind): First degree: 3.2 (business), Second degree: 3.9 (COMD), GRE: V151 Q151 W4. I have tons of experience; ABA instructor, aide at a pediatric deaf and hard of hearing clinic, 300+ clinical hours at a hospital, and over 100 hours at a private pediatric SLP practice.... plus working full time for the company I've been with for four years. I don't know if it's enough though. A part of me feels like I need to take the GRE again to raise my verbal score but, UGHHHHH, I really really don't want to do that. I have so much other stuff to do :( Help?

16 hours ago, plume said:

Would anyone be willing to share how many schools they are applying to? I have heard/read different advice, and clearly this differs depending on how competitive of an applicant you are, but I am curious! I have a low cumulative GPA so I have a pretty long list as of now.

Me again :) I'm applying to 6 schools. I had 4 on my list initially, but because my undergrad GPA from 2009 isn't amazing (3.38) and I don't have a ton of experience like so many of the other in-field applicants, I added two more to better my odds. Of those 6 I would say there are 3 I really like and feel I can afford, and 3 that are expensive and might take me longer to complete (and I would probably only go if they were the only places I was accepted). I can't move so that and prerequisites have limited my options. I think as long as you can afford the fees and would really go to those schools if you were accepted it doesn't hurt to apply to more than less. Personally I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the statement of purpose essays and paperwork, so I could also see getting burnt out and not putting as much effort as possible into each application. But that's the only downside I can think of other than cost.

2 hours ago, CLCD said:

Hey @plume, I'm applying to 14. My list was at 27 but I had to have a "come to Jesus" moment on a lot of schools. My fiance (soon to be husband in April--whoop whoop!) is applying to med school so we both had to really narrow down our choices to what was not just attainable with our grades, but also affordable. Plus, holy moly, each application costs a minimum of $100 due to fees, transcripts, GRE scores, etc. Most of the programs I am applying to are online that way I can follow him wherever he goes, but I am starting to really second guess whether or not I will get in.

I had posted my stats earlier on but I would love for others to weigh in on my chances (if you don't mind): First degree: 3.2 (business), Second degree: 3.9 (COMD), GRE: V151 Q151 W4. I have tons of experience; ABA instructor, aide at a pediatric deaf and hard of hearing clinic, 300+ clinical hours at a hospital, and over 100 hours at a private pediatric SLP practice.... plus working full time for the company I've been with for four years. I don't know if it's enough though. A part of me feels like I need to take the GRE again to raise my verbal score but, UGHHHHH, I really really don't want to do that. I have so much other stuff to do :( Help?

Just read your post and I think you have a great chance of getting in! Your GPA is awesome and your experience will really help. I applied to 9 schools first time around and didn't get in anywhere, so I starting working as a speech and language clinician, applied again, and was accepted to all the schools I applied to!  My experience made a huge difference in my application. My GPA for comdis was 3.8 and my gre was 151 verbal and 149 quant and 3.5 AW. How are your letters of rec and statement of purpose? Those are also a big factor in getting accepted.

I'm also stressing out over applications. I had a dream last night I got an interview notification for my top choice lol. 

@plume

I'm trying to keep my list of schools around 8 because I don't have the money to apply for more. Also, it's my understanding that many programs for speech pathology heavily weigh your CSD GPA. and many may only look at your last 60 units. 

@CLCD

I agree with what Florida Speechie said. If you don't want to retake the GRE, then I suggest working on your letter of intent and/or resume, I think that's probably the most important aspect that you can change. I'm a second-year applicant, but I have made major edits to my resume and statement this time. I had about eight people, including SLP's and graduate students, read my statement that I will be submitting.

@CLCD It's so hard to know what schools are looking for but I really do not think you need to retake the GRE. You made the 300 mark. I might say you need to retake it if you didn't have such an amazing CSD GPA and experience. I think your SOP is going to be the important thing to work on. And if you are worried, apply to a few "safer" schools that only look at CSD GPA or specify that they look at both cumulative and CSD GPAs or the last 60 credits. Also, another applicant gave me this advice when I was worried about my score, which was: Are you really going to be able to improve your score THAT much for this application cycle? You would need to take the GRE very soon and would not have adequate time to study. So really, maybe the best thing to do is work on the other aspects of your application! 

@panda1991 @ElKel87 @CLCD Thank you for sharing how long your application lists are! I guess it just varies per applicant, and it's making me think I can keep my list as-is (which is 10 or 11 schools). panda - Thank you for the advice. I am applying to schools that look at the last 60, but I will only have ASHA prereqs completed before starting, which really limits the schools I can apply to. I am fully prepared to enter a postbacc program if this cycle doesn't work out for me!