@imunster If you can afford it, I recommend paying for their transcript services. It made my life a whole lot easier last year when I was applying, and you have less of a chance of it getting undeliverable. 

Edited by Auuudriana

At @imunster, where in California are you located? The program that I am in takes volunteers on a rolling basis and you might be able to get in! Today is the last day to submit an application for the Winter cohort! http://copehealthscholars.org/prospective-applicants/cce-key-dates-and-deadlines I can tell you more about the program if you like but the website does a pretty good job of explaining it. You end up getting a certificate of completion through UCLA school of Public Health as well as the COPE Health Scholars Program. You rotate on different floors of the hospital (although I've always stayed in Rehab) and get a lot of hands on experiences with patients. I've seen A TON of really cool stuff! Apraxia, Dysarthria, Fluency disorders, tracheotomies, traumatic brain injuries from falls, other stoke patients who weren't as severe, etc. My fiance who is applying to Med School is also in the program and has seen the most INSANE things in the ICU and ER. When I'm talking you get hands on, you get hands on.... he's performed CPR on patients before and helped drill a hole into someone's bone. Luckily on the rehab floor I don't see that :) but I get to see the SLPs and other health care professionals work with patients and it's pretty awesome.

I also ended up getting volunteering experience at the most amazing office by cold calling/cold-emailing private practices in my area. I would tell them a little bit about myself, explain why I would like to shadow them, offered to do free office work, and would attach a resume. I started at one 3hour shift a week and after the first day they increased it to 3x a week. It sucks putting yourself out there, but just go for it! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised..it just takes one yes! :) 

Retook the GRE today! My quant went up...which is what I needed. Meanwhile, my verbal went down 2pts, haha. Overall, I increased my score a few points. My GRE's are still really average, but at least I don't have a total red flag quant deficit going on. 

Also, CSDCAS transcript request forms are a bit confusing to me. Looks like I'll have to go into the registrar for all of my transcripts, which does not sound like fun. Whenever I try to order transcripts online, I can't add the request form anywhere. 

On 8/13/2016 at 1:59 AM, CLCD said:

ElKel87, how do you like your professors/classes there?!

I'm taking my classes at Northwestern online so can't speak for the in person program. Overall I'm happy with it though. The professors seem very knowledgeable and I was even able to meet my Anatomy professor in person when he was in my area for a conference in June. I know it's one of the top schools in the country for SLP so I'm sure you can't go wrong!

One note on NYU - I have yet to meet someone who has good things to say about the program, and I've spoken to both graduates, applicants, and someone who worked with ASHA on their accreditation a few years ago. I'm still applying because my options are very limited in the NYC area (only because I don't have the undergrad degree or time to take many pre-reqs) and I want to better my odds at getting in somewhere. But if you're looking to cut down on your list that might be a good one to lose. I also spoke with someone who graduated from Teachers College Columbia who said that if you think you might want to go into the medical field they are not the best choice (especially given the costs) as their program focuses more on working in schools. She said she enjoyed her time there and works in a hospital now so I'm sure it's fine, but just thought I'd share in case that is an area you're interested in.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, ElKel87 said:

I'm taking my classes at Northwestern online so can't speak for the in person program. Overall I'm happy with it though. The professors seem very knowledgeable and I was even able to meet my Anatomy professor in person when he was in my area for a conference in June. I know it's one of the top schools in the country for SLP so I'm sure you can't go wrong!

One note on NYU - I have yet to meet someone who has good things to say about the program, and I've spoken to both graduates, applicants, and someone who worked with ASHA on their accreditation a few years ago. I'm still applying because my options are very limited in the NYC area (only because I don't have the undergrad degree or time to take many pre-reqs) and I want to better my odds at getting in somewhere. But if you're looking to cut down on your list that might be a good one to lose. I also spoke with someone who graduated from Teachers College Columbia who said that if you think you might want to go into the medical field they are not the best choice (especially given the costs) as their program focuses more on working in schools. She said she enjoyed her time there and works in a hospital now so I'm sure it's fine, but just thought I'd share in case that is an area you're interested in.

What schools in NY would you recommend for SLP?? I'm currently in FL and I'm looking into applying at schools in NY. But not sure which :/ @ElKel87

19 hours ago, natashao said:

What states or schools would you all recommend for SLP?! I'm currently in FL and looking to go out of state. opinions plsss!

Do you have a background/undergrad degree in Speech? I ask because there's a ton of schools in the NY area but many of them have a lot of pre reqs.

On August 17, 2016 at 7:39 PM, natashao said:

What schools in NY would you recommend for SLP?? I'm currently in FL and I'm looking into applying at schools in NY. But not sure which :/ @ElKel87

Hello ☺️ I'm from NY and I am currently in grad school. I would recommend Yeshiva University because they just started their program so a bit easier to get into, Mercy College, SUNY New Paltz, NY Medical College (if you want to do Medical SLP and want to go to a school that doesn't require pre reqs), Adelphi, Hofstra and SUNY Cortland. There's a bunch of others too! Your best bet is to go to ASHA EdFind, look for schools by state, then click each school and see the stats they require and see if it matches up with yours. Hope that helped! 

On 8/16/2016 at 1:02 AM, jmk said:

Also, CSDCAS transcript request forms are a bit confusing to me. Looks like I'll have to go into the registrar for all of my transcripts, which does not sound like fun. Whenever I try to order transcripts online, I can't add the request form anywhere. 

You don't need to use the form ordering online; the CSDCAS instructions say what to do in that case under "How to Send A Transcript:"
https://portal.csdcas.org/csdcasHelpPages/instructions-and-faq/transcripts/sending-u-s-canadian-transcripts/index.html

I'm applying for this cycle as well! I'm a way out-of-field applicant, and I've been out of school for 6 years now. My undergrad GPA was a 3.75 and my (first) grad degree GPA was a 3.95. I'm taking the GRE in 3 weeks (eep!) and trying to stay calm about the pesky Quant section. I've done some observations, and they got me SO excited about this field! I'm particularly interested in voice disorders.

My current plan is to apply to Vanderbilt, Iowa, MGH, and the University of Washington's postbacc program… with the assumption that I won't get into any of those masters programs and will (hopefully) get into the UW postbacc. 3 years of tuition is 3 years of tuition, regardless of how you break it up, and at least the postbacc would allow me to apply anywhere I wanted to next year (Wisconsin, UW MedSLP, etc). We'll see how it shakes out! 

Best of luck to everyone! This is scary, but it's also exciting. :-)

Edited by SopranoSLP

Me, too @SopranoSLP! I have been out of school for five years. Also taking the GRE soon - in 4 weeks - and trying to take deep breaths about the quant section, ha ha. 

I am applying to post-baccs as well as leveler programs, though it is unlikely I will get into any grad programs this round.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

3 hours ago, plume said:

Me, too @SopranoSLP! I have been out of school for five years. Also taking the GRE soon - in 4 weeks - and trying to take deep breaths about the quant section, ha ha. 

I am applying to post-baccs as well as leveler programs, though it is unlikely I will get into any grad programs this round.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Thanks, @plume, and best of luck to you too! It's so hard to have any idea how things will turn out, but let's hope for the best. :-) 

This might be really dumb, but can someone explain what exactly the  CSDCAS is? I'm applying to schools this fall. I guess it's like one central place to simplify apps but is that necessary if i'm only applying to four schools? Ugh I feel so unprepared 

Edited by Kate22192

@Kate22192 You're not unprepared to apply this Fall! There are a lot of moving pieces I'm realizing as I'm getting ready to apply.

As you guessed, CSDCAS is a centralized website to submit applications. I think most (but not all schools) REQUIRE this application - it is decided by the school, not the applicant, on whether you need to use this. You submit all application materials through this (transcript info, LoR, POS, etc.) Schools often also ask for a supplemental application (just to make things more stressful!) Here is a link to their website: http://www.capcsd.org/csdcas-student-page/

Make sure to check application information/requirements for each school individually - they vary by school.

@Kate22192- out of the 4 programs you are applying too, you say only one is on CSDCAS. So, for that program, you will apply through CSDCAS as well as read the program's own website to see what materials you need to send for that program. For the three programs that are not on CSDCAS, you should look at the program websites to see when and what materials they want sent in. 

3/4 of the schools I am applying to are on CSDCAS, but 1/4 are not. 

I second what jmk said. It sounds like you only have to use CSDCAS for one school.

Schools have specific instructions on how to send in materials on their websites. Also, don't be afraid to call admissions offices if you have questions!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2016 at 10:29 PM, SopranoSLP said:

Thanks, @plume, and best of luck to you too! It's so hard to have any idea how things will turn out, but let's hope for the best. :-) 

Hi to both of you! I've been out of school for almost 8 years if that makes either of you feel any better :)

If you're looking at post-bacc programs I highly recommend Northwestern's School of Professional Studies online program. Very knowledgeable professors and the work is really manageable. 

Edited by ElKel87

Hi all! 

I'm a new user to the site (although I have def looked through many posts by now...) and was looking for advice in regards to which schools I should look at applying to this upcoming admission cycle--fall 2017.

Most of the schools I'm interested in pretty highly ranked, and I'd like some honest opinions on if I'm reaching too high. I am looking into Boston University, MGH-IHP, University of Washington MedSLP, George Washington University, and Georgia State University

Some stats about me:

- Graduated from the University of Georgia's CMSD program in 2015. I applied for the 2015 fall cycle simultaneously with the Peace Corps. I ended up getting accepted to UGA and the Peace Corps at the same time. I decided on joining the Peace Corps (as an education volunteer in China) and declined the UGA offer and stopped my other applications. I will be returning to the states next year and so am applying for the 2017 fall cycle

- Overall GPA 3.74, major GPA 3.95

- GRE 164/V, 155/Q, 4.0/W

- Have a good bit of volunteer experience with various populations including children with developmental disorders, at-risk youth, ESL, acquired brain injuries, and teens.  

- Little research experience - did one semester of analyzing language samples for one professor. 

- Did ESL in China for 2 years (Peace Corps)

Also some bonus questions: Are there programs that you would absolutely stay away from? Are there schools that like to accept their own residents first? Based on my personal stats, do you have any recommendations for me personally? Any advice on making this process any easier I would GREATLY appreciate. 

Thank you in advance for your responses!!! I'm really nervous and excited about completing this process :)

I just found out that my third letter writer cannot write for me due to health issues. ):

As much as I hope he gets better ASAP, in the meantime I have no backup plan. I could contact professors I haven't spoken to in 3 years that I took 2 classes with...or my old boss, who would write excellent things but he writes poorly and doesn't have time, or I could ask my current boss who barely knows me but knows I'm doing an okay job at our unrelated desk job. Or I guess I could ask one of the folks in my office, cause she seems to know me pretty well. I haven't been able to score an observation so I have no direct in-field references, just my linguistics/language development professor.

Who do I ask to write for me? Anybody else have this problem? Aaaaah.

@Puffer Fish- I know you mentioned that observation hasn't worked out, but I'm pretty confident that if you went in and observed somewhere from Oct-Dec (telling them you would only be there that long from the start), you could get a letter at the end. 

Right now do you have 1 academic and 1 professional, or 2 academic? 

1 hour ago, jmk said:

@Puffer Fish- I know you mentioned that observation hasn't worked out, but I'm pretty confident that if you went in and observed somewhere from Oct-Dec (telling them you would only be there that long from the start), you could get a letter at the end. 

Right now do you have 1 academic and 1 professional, or 2 academic? 

I have 2 academics. It would have been 3 with the other professor.

Observation has only not worked out because everyone I've called either doesn't return my calls or has flat out told me they don't have any observation spots available. I just emailed another place today and if they don't respond by tomorrow I'm calling them as well. I don't understand how I live in a city with several speech clinics, a rehab hospital, a major regular hospital, and a dozen private practices and yet there are no people willing to let me observe.

@Puffer Fish Shoot! I would keep calling in for those observation hours (I am running into the same problem of no one calling me back, too!) or maybe a short-term low-commitment volunteer experience? I know it's not ideal, but I was told by a professor at a program's open house to call and get a LoR fro a professor, even if it's been many years. You already have two academic letters, so maybe that would be your last choice.