@plume I know none of it was directed at me but you give really good advice! :) Thank you!

Good news on my end, I'm over my total meltdown the other week. I'm still applying to 9 of my original 13 schools, and I've decided to combine my computer interests with speech and try to get into AAC research after my master's. Not enough of us go into research!

The main reason I'm posting is sticker shock. I just looked at the costs of U of Central Florida as an out-of-field, out-of-state student and I legitimately want to cry. It's my top choice and all, but I don't know if even that can justify THAT kind of cost!!!

Edited by Puffer Fish

Hi everyone! 

I'm new to the GradCafe/this forum, but also freaking out about applications, etc... The university I go to now doesn't have a Communication Disorders major or minor, only tons of the prereqs. :( So I'm taking some courses from USU next semester to get the necessary courses. 

I've been working on my SOP, and I'm basically just worried about everything at this point. My cumulative GPA is pretty okay, it's currently a 3.69 (might go a tiny bit lower after this semester only because I'm taking so many credits at once - oops). My GRE scores are not very good; I got 151V 148Q 4.0W. Didn't break the 300 mark agh - also mostly upset about my Verbal considering I'm majoring in English and Linguistics. :( I'm applying to a couple of schools that, luckily, do not require it, but I'm applying to I believe 8 schools. 

Have you guys sent official transcripts or are you waiting until the end of this semester? I feel like I need to send them in, but I also don't want to send them twice? I'm unsure what to do about that, but I want to make sure that at least most of them make it in on time. I feel like many of my schools are saying Jan. 1st is the deadline. Wish more of mine were due in February. 

Nice to meet you all! Glad we can all freak out together! haha

Hey y'all,

For those you who have submitted your apps on CDCAS already, how long was the verification time? I have two 12/15 deadlines coming up and I'm minor league really worried about the timing. Ohio State just needs to have everything submitted by the deadline but Cinci needs to have everything verified by then.

Any input is appreciated; thanks!

A day? What does this mean when I've had this unclickable button for 2 weeks now, after I've gone through my transcript and reviewed it? Does this mean it's in the process of being verified?

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 8.53.58 PM.png

15 hours ago, genyslp said:

A day? What does this mean when I've had this unclickable button for 2 weeks now, after I've gone through my transcript and reviewed it? Does this mean it's in the process of being verified?

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 8.53.58 PM.png

You have to manually enter all of your courses you've taken under transcript entry!

Thought I'd join the party, I'm also applying for fall 2017 and I'm an out-of-field applicant! I'm almost done with applications, just finishing up personal statements and making sure they're individualized for each school. Trying to be done by Christmas at the very latest but I want to be done before then if I can! My Marquette app is due Dec. 15th and I'm almost done with my essays for that one, since there are multiple, but it's taking me forever and finals are coming up so I'm worried! Best of luck to everyone :) I'm so nervous but I hope we all make it in. Doesn't seem like anyone is really applying to the same programs as me but let me know if you are!

Anyone else going for bilingual populations?

46 minutes ago, julianorts said:

You have to manually enter all of your courses you've taken under transcript entry!

I actually did! I've had them manually entered in since October. And after I went through and reviewed my transcripts, it's been this button for a while. I think I'll call CSDCAS and see what's going on.... 

8 minutes ago, genyslp said:

I actually did! I've had them manually entered in since October. And after I went through and reviewed my transcripts, it's been this button for a while. I think I'll call CSDCAS and see what's going on.... 

Oh, if you've already done the review part where you review what classes were AP or study abroad or honors and all that, then yes it's just being reviewed! You're good to go!

I'm a little bit confused as well with CSDCAS/ Transcripts.

I've started inputting my courses through CSDCAS, but do I also have to request to send the transcripts from my school? There are several options I can choose (online, mail, etc), but also it says for electronic that they are valid for 30 days and can be opened up to 5 times.... which seems odd.
Also, can I have them sent now, before my deadlines and applications are submitted (most are around 1/15 - 2/15) , or recommend doing the sending when I do my submissions as well. (sorry if that is confusing)

Thanks so much in advance!

one thing I'm wondering with this process though...like if we aren't finished with fall 2016 classes, then do we resend transcripts afterwards so they include those classes? 

@Callen it seems like some places want 'unofficial' transcripts, and then if you get accepted you submit your final official transcripts with completed grades. (this is the case for one of my schools NOT on CSDCAS)

for CSDCAS you can add semesters to your Transcript Entry that are In Progress or Planned... I'm not sure how it works beyond that since I just finished that part myself today. (hopefully someone else has some more info). 

I'm planning to go talk to the Registrars Office at my school or call the schools I'm planning to apply to for more solidified information.... 

Hope some of this was helpful! :)

15 hours ago, jmk said:

@Callen- There is an option for Academic Update once you start submitting! I believe you upload your finalized Fall grades, and send a transcript, when the semester is over for CSDCAS. 

If we update our grades after we submit (let's say I submit without my fall grades, one my deadlines is in 2 weeks), then will it have to be reverified (after I submit my transcript) and will the admissions committee see an updated GPA from that semester included?

On 11/27/2016 at 1:44 PM, genyslp said:

If we update our grades after we submit (let's say I submit without my fall grades, one my deadlines is in 2 weeks), then will it have to be reverified (after I submit my transcript) and will the admissions committee see an updated GPA from that semester included?

Yep. You can read more about how it works here: https://portal.csdcas.org/csdcasHelpPages/instructions-and-faq/e-submission-payment/updating-the-applicationacademic-update/index.html

@julianorts I am applying to many of the same schools as you! With much lower stats, if that make you feel better :) I am applying to U of AZ, Emerson, NM State, and CU Boulder (there is really no way I would get in, but I live in Boulder now and it's my only chance for in-state tuition!) and I just took UT Dallas off of my list but am wondering if I should reverse that. I am also an out-of-fielder and have been out of school for five years, planning on a post-bacc as my backup. I feel so behind! Good luck!!!!

1 minute ago, plume said:

@julianorts I am applying to many of the same schools as you! With much lower stats, if that make you feel better :) I am applying to U of AZ, Emerson, NM State, and CU Boulder (there is really no way I would get in, but I live in Boulder now and it's my only chance for in-state tuition!) and I just took UT Dallas off of my list but am wondering if I should reverse that. I am also an out-of-fielder and have been out of school for five years, planning on a post-bacc as my backup. I feel so behind! Good luck!!!!

Oh my gosh no way!!! That's so exciting! We out-of-fielders have to have each others' backs :) Your stats look good to me still, I feel like we can't predict what will happen anyway. I'm sure you have great experience too since you've had some time to work after school.

@julianorts Yes, I am hoping my life and in-field experiences help get me in, but you never know! 

Also... I had thought Minnesota required all CSD prereqs to be completed before starting, but am I wrong about that?

1 hour ago, plume said:

@julianorts Yes, I am hoping my life and in-field experiences help get me in, but you never know! 

Also... I had thought Minnesota required all CSD prereqs to be completed before starting, but am I wrong about that?

On their website they say that they will accept students from out-of-field and then will have them complete prerequisites before beginning the graduate program formally. I'd give you a link but quite honestly I find all of these programs' websites near impossible to navigate.