57 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Anyone planning on doing their econ prereqs this summer? Carleton has an online micro/macro summer course! 

53 minutes ago, YellsHeah said:

I will have to, I think, if I go for NPSIA (which I'm leaning more toward atm). My university also offers online micro/macro summer courses; I figured I would take those, but I'm not sure if I still can since I've already applied to graduate after this semester...? :x I'll probably have to have a chat with my school and with Carleton I suppose!

I will have to do the required micro and macro required (if I do end up going to NPSIA). I'm in the same position, I already applied to graduate. I was wondering if I can still graduate, but take econ as non degree courses? I don't want to include those classes in my GPA. I'll have to talk to my home school about this. Seriously dreading econ. Math is definitely not my strong suit. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but for Munk you don't need econ, right? If you're accepted, you can just take econ while you're there? 

Edited by pixiedustxo

2 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Do you think it's better to do Econ in person? The online course in the summer looks good - but I'm wondering if an online econ course would be easier/harder

I took a few online courses, and it was ALOT of work. They were social science courses, so I did well in them, since that is my area. I would love to take carleton's online econ courses, but for me personally.. I feel that with a subject like econ, I need to be in person to learn lol 

5 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Do you think it's better to do Econ in person? The online course in the summer looks good - but I'm wondering if an online econ course would be easier/harder

I'm doing online right now. My girlfriend is an econ major so I can get tutored. Without that I would be 100% screwed. So in person I would say is easier because you can meet people in class and form study groups and of course you can see the prof work through the problems etc. But I have always really struggled with this stuff. For someone who takes to it much easier, perhaps the pros of an online course would outweigh the cons

Edited by mchutchi

12 minutes ago, pixiedustxo said:

I will have to do the required micro and macro required (if I do end up going to NPSIA). I'm in the same position, I already applied to graduate. I was wondering if I can still graduate, but take econ as non degree courses? I don't want to include those classes in my GPA. I'll have to talk to my home school about this. Seriously dreading econ. Math is definitely not my strong suit. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but for Munk you don't need econ, right? If you're accepted, you can just take econ while you're there? 

Yup - this is correct for Munk. I wish it was like that at NPSIA too. I know for GSPIA you can take the courses in the summer or you can do one course in the fall that's a pass or fail. 

12 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I work full time so my preferred option was online. I met the prof before the course began in sept, and went in office hours whenever I could, though. Just never went to the in-person classes, only watched his videos and read the books. It's been great. Exams are the only thing required in-person, for this course. The bi-weekly quizzes online really ensured I knew my material and studied regularly. Got a great grade micro. But I'm not sure if this course fulfills reqs for any of the Ottawa programs. I only know it completes my Munk req. 

16 minutes ago, pixiedustxo said:

I took a few online courses, and it was ALOT of work. They were social science courses, so I did well in them, since that is my area. I would love to take carleton's online econ courses, but for me personally.. I feel that with a subject like econ, I need to be in person to learn lol 

Yeah I tried doing an online history course last semester and my god... it was more time than an in person course. Also, the online micro/macro course at Carleton goes from may-august. I know uOttawa offers a micro and macro courses in the summer and you can do the course in "sessions" aka like may 1-june 12, june 19-july 31, etc. 

I would personally rather get it over with early in the summer so I think I would almost rather do the two in-person econ courses at uOttawa. I also suck at math so this should be interesting! 

Edited by Hopeful2017

4 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

I work full time so my preferred option was online. I met the prof before the course began in sept, and went in office hours whenever I could, though. Just never went to the in-person classes, only watched his videos and read the books. It's been great. Exams are the only thing required in-person, for this course. The bi-weekly quizzes online really ensured I knew my material and studied regularly. Got a great grade micro. But I'm not sure if this course fulfills reqs for any of the Ottawa programs. I only know it completes my Munk req. 

Did you do this course at Carleton? 

5 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Yup - this is correct for Munk. I wish it was like that at NPSIA too. I know for GSPIA you can take the courses in the summer or you can do one course in the fall that's a pass or fail. 

Me too. I was looking forward to a nice relaxing summer before grad school, but I guess my summer will be filled up with econ classes. I'm kicking myself that I didn't apply to GSPIA. The pass/fail option looks appealing. My nightmare is not getting the required grades for econ and than have my offer rescinded. The pressure is on! 

25 minutes ago, pixiedustxo said:

Me too. I was looking forward to a nice relaxing summer before grad school, but I guess my summer will be filled up with econ classes. I'm kicking myself that I didn't apply to GSPIA. The pass/fail option looks appealing. My nightmare is not getting the required grades for econ and than have my offer rescinded. The pressure is on! 

I agree. Well if anyone ends up taking some econ classes this summer in Ottawa it would be awesome if we could do some group study seshes! Just a thought :) 

I'm taking Econ this semester and it has been kicking my ass.... I'm gonna try to get a B- or C+ at this point.... Another reason I'm leaning to GSPIA, I really need to have a summer free of course work and want to work full time and relax besides that.

I know the Carleton MPPA program you need both micro/macro and a political institutions course? That is definitely turning me away from the program - two econ courses is enough for one summer IMO.

On December 1, 2016 at 9:00 PM, mchutchi said:

Hi all,

Does anybody know how GPA is assessed at NPSIA and/or GSPIA - i.e., last 60 credits, last 20 courses, cumulative?  

It's the average of your last 20 credits, or equivalent (each credit being a half year/one semester course) 

13 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Anyways, I can't wait for Monday. I know I say this every week, but I really do feel this coming week will be big for us!! More NPSIA, GPSIA offers and hopefully all the Munk applicants hear back too!! Good luck guys.

Right?! I have a job interview next week plus a back-up school's offer on the table, so I reaaaalllllly need Munk or GSPIA to speak up next week - before I make any sudden big moves!

1 hour ago, mchutchi said:

NPSIA status just updated to review in progress by fgpa. Thought I would share that because I didn't think any changes were made during the weekends.

Same! I didn't expect them to be working on weekends? Unless its automated or something. 

1 hour ago, mchutchi said:

NPSIA status just updated to review in progress by fgpa. Thought I would share that because I didn't think any changes were made during the weekends.

Same!!! 

2 hours ago, mchutchi said:

Same here. Hopefully we can finally see our offers tomorrow 

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. So far I've been accepted to BSIA's Global Governance program with full funding and a fellowship at CIGI, UVic's MPA with at least $15,000 in funding (maybe more), and SFU's MPP program with $10,000 in funding. I'm hoping to hear back from U of T's MPP program shortly. I also submitted a late application to NPSIA a few days after the deadline, so I may still get accepted but I highly doubt I would receive any funding.

I have a strong interest in foreign policy but I have no desire to become an academic. I'm looking for a degree that will give me the best possible chance at finding a solid job in government, an NGO, or the private sector.

Of these five programs, which would you recommend?? I know that NPSIA is typically seen as the best choice, but BSIA's offer of a research fellowship with CIGI plus an internship seems pretty strong in terms of professional development opportunities. 

Thoughts??

7 minutes ago, Mi5hco said:

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. So far I've been accepted to BSIA's Global Governance program with full funding and a fellowship at CIGI, UVic's MPA with at least $15,000 in funding (maybe more), and SFU's MPP program with $10,000 in funding. I'm hoping to hear back from U of T's MPP program shortly. I also submitted a late application to NPSIA a few days after the deadline, so I may still get accepted but I highly doubt I would receive any funding.

I have a strong interest in foreign policy but I have no desire to become an academic. I'm looking for a degree that will give me the best possible chance at finding a solid job in government, an NGO, or the private sector.

Of these five programs, which would you recommend?? I know that NPSIA is typically seen as the best choice, but BSIA's offer of a research fellowship with CIGI plus an internship seems pretty strong in terms of professional development opportunities. 

Thoughts??

I would go with BSIA if only for the funding. It's a very well regarded program and the people I know there say it more than lives up to the hype.  

But you also have to look into faculty, research interests, ectexact 

16 minutes ago, Mi5hco said:

Thoughts??

I would pick BSIA, followed by NPSIA if NPSIA offered me admission 

Pls do your due diligence on research interests and profs and alumni etc, and make a choice you are comfortable with. My opinion is based on very loose superficial understandings of each program.