2 hours ago, mchutchi said:

GSPIA just told me that they had accidentally labelled my letter of intent as 'resume' which is why my file is still incomplete. Now they say that they are going to correct the mistake and move on to calculating my admissions average and I should hear back before the end of the month. If I hadn't called who knows how much longer it would have taken for them to see that. So anyone who still has an incomplete file, I would suggest calling and asking them to check all your documents. Talk to Nancy, not Daniela though. 

Wow, I would be furious with them if that was me. Like, my application is gonna be pushed off because YOU messed up? I get the impression that their staff is pretty unorganized.

48 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Is it bad I still haven't gotten the official offer from NPSIA yet? Getting nervous lol 

No! They are still rolling them out and I'm pretty sure we'll get it by early next week! Don't sweat it, you got in! :)

Hey everyone, just found this thread and decided to jump into the fray. Congrats to everyone who's gotten an offer so far! Glad to see I'm not the only one who was slowly eaten alive by this waiting process.
I've been accepted to both Carleton's MPPA (28,000 funding) and NPSIA (still waiting on the official offer, but specialization just changed to Int'l Org's and Global Public Policy). I thought the application process was tough, but deciding between the two will definitely keep me up at night. 

In response to Nirenight, I can't speak with any real authority about TA positions, but I believe you could still apply to be an "out-of-priority TA" through Carleton Central and hope, though positions can be pretty limited.

The co-op, however, is paid. From their brochure - "What is more, students in the MPPA program can take up to two paid, co-operative education work terms."
Also, don't know how up-to-date this is, but an idea of salaries for different Carleton co-op programs: https://mycareer.carleton.ca/home/hirestudent/HireACo-op/HiredAStudent/Salary.htm
Finally, general info on SPPA co-op: https://sppastudents.wordpress.com/co-op-info/ 

1 hour ago, Mr.Caffeine said:

Hey everyone, just found this thread and decided to jump into the fray. Congrats to everyone who's gotten an offer so far! Glad to see I'm not the only one who was slowly eaten alive by this waiting process.
I've been accepted to both Carleton's MPPA (28,000 funding) and NPSIA (still waiting on the official offer, but specialization just changed to Int'l Org's and Global Public Policy). I thought the application process was tough, but deciding between the two will definitely keep me up at night. 

In response to Nirenight, I can't speak with any real authority about TA positions, but I believe you could still apply to be an "out-of-priority TA" through Carleton Central and hope, though positions can be pretty limited.

The co-op, however, is paid. From their brochure - "What is more, students in the MPPA program can take up to two paid, co-operative education work terms."
Also, don't know how up-to-date this is, but an idea of salaries for different Carleton co-op programs: https://mycareer.carleton.ca/home/hirestudent/HireACo-op/HiredAStudent/Salary.htm
Finally, general info on SPPA co-op: https://sppastudents.wordpress.com/co-op-info/ 

Did you get a TA/RA position?

On 2017-03-03 at 0:07 PM, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I just got accepted into Carleton's M.A Political Science program!!!!! With a great scholarship package that will leave me debt-free and a T.A ship!!!!! This is gonna make my decision so much harder if I get into NPSIA or GSPIA.... Would I be a fool to reject (if I get in) those offers for a less prestigious program if the funding is small or if I don't get any funding whatsoever?

Hi 

I got my offer for Ma political science Carleton but doesn't said anything about TAship is it separate or included in department scholarship?

21 minutes ago, Polici said:

Hi 

I got my offer for Ma political science Carleton but doesn't said anything about TAship is it separate or included in department scholarship?

It was displayed separately to the department scholarship but on the same page. Here's what it looks like for me.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 7.45.27 PM.png

41 minutes ago, InsertChangedName said:

For me the TA offer was displayed on the same page as the other funding.

21 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

It was displayed separately to the department scholarship but on the same page. Here's what it looks like for me.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 7.45.27 PM.png

Mine doesn't have any TAship so it means I didn't get any my total funding is $ 10450 I'm afraid doesn't even cover my Tution

got my offer today for MA in political science at Carleton with 17k in funding. Still waiting on NPSIA...! 

Question- does anyone know how many rounds of offers go out for NPSIA? Round one was early this week, round two is rumoured to be next week, is there a round three? how does it work? when will rejections go out?

Edited by hopeful9

7 hours ago, hopeful9 said:

Also, can second round offers for NPSIA include funding? or is it likely they won't?

It's weird because I technically got in first round with the email on Tuesday night... but did not receive the official offer.  I'm not sure if I'm still first round or now if I'm in the second round? It's kinda scary because I was hoping to still get good funding. Or it could be simply random? I think one person got 15k on the first day of official offers from NPSIA and yesterday someone else got 25k.. so maybe it's not necessarily that the best funding offers went out last week only. 

11 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

It's weird because I technically got in first round with the email on Tuesday night... but did not receive the official offer.  I'm not sure if I'm still first round or now if I'm in the second round? It's kinda scary because I was hoping to still get good funding. Or it could be simply random? I think one person got 15k on the first day of official offers from NPSIA and yesterday someone else got 25k.. so maybe it's not necessarily that the best funding offers went out last week only. 

Pretty sure you're first round.

10 hours ago, billballbull said:

To those that had their specialization change, as well as their status to 'review in progress by department', did this eventually lead to an official offer? 

Nope. My status and specialization changed, but I haven't received an official offer. The email said 5-8 days, so I'm just trusting that. Plus I kinda hope they send their offer on the 8th day, incase I get offers from other schools (so I have more time to decide).

Edited by pixiedustxo

28 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Yeah, again, if you got the email you're definitely first round. Waiting the weekend sucks but we've absolutely nothing to worry about. It's not like they're going to rescind the offer. 

I guess I just don't like the sound of 'unofficial offer of admission'. But I'm most likely just being paranoid. 

Just a recap for the weekend: NPSIA remaining round of fresh offers + Munk decisions are sorta expected next week. Please update here if you hear otherwise. I know some of us have other offer deadlines. 

GSPIA has told me and at least one other person to expect something by end of March. 

See ya'll Monday morning on here lol 

2 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Anyone planning on doing their econ prereqs this summer? Carleton has an online micro/macro summer course! 

I will have to, I think, if I go for NPSIA (which I'm leaning more toward atm). My university also offers online micro/macro summer courses; I figured I would take those, but I'm not sure if I still can since I've already applied to graduate after this semester...? :x I'll probably have to have a chat with my school and with Carleton I suppose!

23 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Anyone planning on doing their econ prereqs this summer? Carleton has an online micro/macro summer course! 

I'm doing micro right now so that I can do macro in the summer. Literally, doing micro right now, trying to work through this week's problem set. The average on the midterm last semester was 47%, it is really tough stuff for a lot of folks including me. The prof says he will scale the average to a C+, but to get into NPSIA a B- is needed which means I need to outperform the others in the class and so far I am not doing that. 

Edited by mchutchi

5 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

I'm doing micro right now so that I can do macro in the summer. Literally, doing micro right now, trying to work through this week's problem set. The average on the midterm last semester was 47%, it is really tough stuff for a lot of folks including me. The prof says he will scale the average to a C+, but to get into NPSIA a B- is needed which means I need to outperform the others in the class and so far I am not doing that. 

Hey I'm finishing my macro requirement this term! At least...I think this course fits Carleton's reqs. I know it's def approved for Munk, which is why im sitting in a library working on a macro quiz today lol

22 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Hey I'm finishing my macro requirement this term! At least...I think this course fits Carleton's reqs. I know it's def approved for Munk, which is why im sitting in a library working on a macro quiz today lol

Do you think it's better to do Econ in person? The online course in the summer looks good - but I'm wondering if an online econ course would be easier/harder