Hi all,

Just found this forum! So far I've been accepted into the MPPGA program at UBC, BSIA, and NPSIA. Still waiting anxiously on GSPIA and Munk.

I just got off the phone with someone from GSPIA (Nancy?) since they still haven't received all of my documents. She said that there are still a lot of people in the same boat so, if anyone is worried about that, you're not alone! She also said it would not affect the possibility of receiving first round admissions, so I'm not sure what kind of timeline there is on that.

Also, I saw some people were worrying about taking a course in French at GSPIA. I have a friend in his first year there right now with absolutely no French background at all. He still needs to enroll in a French class and attend it, but he is allowed to read English equivalents of the textbooks and write his tests in French. As far as I know there are only a couple of people like him in the program, but it is possible. 

Just got my official NPSIA offer as well! 20k for both years with a TA position. I thought for some reason I had opted out of positions, but I'm glad I'm not! I'll take any help I can get. :P

Anyone have any insight on what the TA position might be like? Never been one myself but I'd be happy to as long as it isn't so strenuous on top of studies.

Edited by YellsHeah

3 minutes ago, billballbull said:

Anyone know how the TA scholarship works? Specifically, do you get paid hourly on top of the awarded funding? 

It looks like you get a lump sum each term. For me its 5100 in the fall and then again in the winter, both years

Econ prerequisite -  ECON 1000 or an equivalent university level introductory micro- & macroeconomics (1.0 credit) with a grade of B- or better in each course must be completed by December 15, 2017.

I have micro done already so it looks like I can just take macro in the fall instead of this summer.

1 minute ago, billballbull said:

Anyone else seeing discrepancies when they check their funding in 'view award/funding' vs. When they check their official offer ? 

For NPSIA? Yep.

1 hour ago, IA2017 said:

Hi all,

Just found this forum! So far I've been accepted into the MPPGA program at UBC, BSIA, and NPSIA. Still waiting anxiously on GSPIA and Munk.

I just got off the phone with someone from GSPIA (Nancy?) since they still haven't received all of my documents. She said that there are still a lot of people in the same boat so, if anyone is worried about that, you're not alone! She also said it would not affect the possibility of receiving first round admissions, so I'm not sure what kind of timeline there is on that.

Also, I saw some people were worrying about taking a course in French at GSPIA. I have a friend in his first year there right now with absolutely no French background at all. He still needs to enroll in a French class and attend it, but he is allowed to read English equivalents of the textbooks and write his tests in French. As far as I know there are only a couple of people like him in the program, but it is possible. 

Have you received a funding offer from UBC yet? I received the email on the 3rd, but still haven't received any details or a funding offer. 

Well although I'm very happy I got into NPSIA, I'm a little disappointed with my funding offer after viewing everyone's here. 

Only offered 5k over the 2 years and no TA position. Disappointed considering I was offered 19k plus TA positions at carleton's political science program. 

33 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

19, 288 dollars for NPSIA plus a TAShip! Weird amount? But yay!

Congrats!!!! Also, my status on the U of T MPP program changed. It is now on "Decision made" and first round offers are going out Wednesday the 15th, and then other offers will continue until they are full in April. So I feel somewhat optimistic, but don't know if this is definitely a good sign or not? Its either I'm not even close to the cut and not going to be placed on the waitlist or I'm in? 

2 minutes ago, billballbull said:

Well although I'm very happy I got into NPSIA, I'm a little disappointed with my funding offer after viewing everyone's here. 

Only offered 5k over the 2 years and no TA position. Disappointed considering I was offered 19k plus TA positions at carleton's political science program. 

Do you have overseas stuff on your CV? I think NPSIA is pretty obsessive about whereas for the MA in pol sci they prob have their eyes on other things

3 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Congrats!!!! Also, my status on the U of T MPP program changed. It is now on "Decision made" and first round offers are going out Wednesday the 15th, and then other offers will continue until they are full in April. So I feel somewhat optimistic, but don't know if this is definitely a good sign or not? Its either I'm not even close to the cut and not going to be placed on the waitlist or I'm in? 

I think that's a good sign for sure! You should be excited

22 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Also in the same boat: my status is now "Decision Made" for the Uoft MPP. I suppose we will see what happens on Wednesday.  

Official offer in from NPSIA at 6,000 over the two years. Didn't expect anything so I am thrilled with that. Couple questions: is there any other way that NPSIA helps out students financially besides a TA/RA/funding offer?

Also, anyone else need to take ECON 1201 at Carleton this fall?

2 hours ago, mchutchi said:

Econ prerequisite -  ECON 1000 or an equivalent university level introductory micro- & macroeconomics (1.0 credit) with a grade of B- or better in each course must be completed by December 15, 2017.

I have micro done already so it looks like I can just take macro in the fall instead of this summer.

Wait, I'm confused. It says the same thing for me. I thought we had to take economics before our M.A starts...?