Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

4 hours ago, The Waiting Game said:

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if some of you could share the places that you've applied and in an order of preference. I think it would be useful for everyone to get a sense throughout the process what are the chances that they may get accepted off of a waiting list!

My top choices are Queen's, Ryerson, and Western. I've also applied to Calgary and Manitoba.

4 hours ago, The Waiting Game said:

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if some of you could share the places that you've applied and in an order of preference. I think it would be useful for everyone to get a sense throughout the process what are the chances that they may get accepted off of a waiting list!

My top choices are SFU, Saskatchewan, and New Brunswick, and I've also applied to UBC Okanagan and Ryerson. 

16 hours ago, The Waiting Game said:

Hey everyone,

SFU/Waterloo/OISE are my top choices. Dal, Concordia, Western.

10 hours ago, 2016PsycApplicant said:

Those who have interviewed for Clinical Masters programs...any common questions? Any specific questions for people that have interviewed at Windsor?

I can't speak for most schools, because it does vary by PI to PI, but it was a pretty relaxed conversation from my experience with Windsor. I've communicated with two prospective PIs in the past, and they were friendly, provided me with information about their research and what their students were all currently doing. There was a lot of promoting of the program as much as it was trying to get to know you as a potential applicant. Expect the general questions asking about your research interests and what you hope to achieve from your graduate degree. I would say to also ask them more about the development of their program, and the opportunities available doing practicum in Canada and the US, since they are so close to the border. I know there is also an opportunity to be invited to an Open House, but I did not attend that so cannot give you more information than that! 

Edited by Jay's Brain

16 hours ago, The Waiting Game said:

Hey everyone,

I applied to SFU (clinical-forensic), Ryerson, and Guelph (both Clinical).

My top choice was SFU, but unfortunately I received a rejection yesterday.

Did anyone hear back from Waterloo? I had a preliminary Skype interview with my POI back in early January and she said they would send out invites for a second interview around this time.

18 hours ago, The Waiting Game said:

Hey everyone,

My top choice is McGill clinical paychology

3 hours ago, Jay's Brain said:

I can't speak for most schools, because it does vary by PI to PI, but it was a pretty relaxed conversation from my experience with Windsor. I've communicated with two prospective PIs in the past, and they were friendly, provided me with information about their research and what their students were all currently doing. There was a lot of promoting of the program as much as it was trying to get to know you as a potential applicant. Expect the general questions asking about your research interests and what you hope to achieve from your graduate degree. I would say to also ask them more about the development of their program, and the opportunities available doing practicum in Canada and the US, since they are so close to the border. I know there is also an opportunity to be invited to an Open House, but I did not attend that so cannot give you more information than that! 

Thank you very much! This was helpful :)

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, prospectclin said:

i am somewhat ashamed of the lengths i just went to in order to determine if my POI could also have been at a conference over the last week.

That is awesome! Don't be ashamed... I did my own research of which professor I could slyly talk to while at that conference... felt a bit creepy but also slightly like a spy, so essentially just pretty cool.

I'm curious who your POI is! Message me? (Maybe we are waiting on the same person!)

21 hours ago, PhDPLZ said:

Did anyone get an email from OttawaU saying their account was updated? 

I did too. Apparently it's because of the glitches they've been having with the new system. Documents were not appearing as received and things like that. My application status online had previously said incomplete and it was missing my transcripts but I checked after I received that email and it's been changed to showing my transcripts have been received with status "under evaluation".

due to all the issues I'm assuming their admissions process will likely be delayed. 

2 minutes ago, psycgrad08 said:

I did too. Apparently it's because of the glitches they've been having with the new system. Documents were not appearing as received and things like that. My application status online had previously said incomplete and it was missing my transcripts but I checked after I received that email and it's been changed to showing my transcripts have been received with status "under evaluation".

due to all the issues I'm assuming their admissions process will likely be delayed. 

ah ok! thank you so much!

6 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Why are people so secretive about their POIs... 

I think people don't want it getting out to certain POI that they are talking about them. 

Fair enough. But we're all anonymized here no? How would they know who's talking about them..? What am I missing..

Also, does anyone know if all interview invites for Ryerson have gone out? Should I let go of the hope like I did with UTSC? 

3 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Fair enough. But we're all anonymized here no? How would they know who's talking about them..? What am I missing..

Also, does anyone know if all interview invites for Ryerson have gone out? Should I let go of the hope like I did with UTSC? 

Yes, but if you have only sent out invites for a few people you can take an educated guess. I think people just prefer to be cautious :)

I also believe interviews for Ryerson have gone out, but I may be mistaken (I applied as well but have not received an interview :'( )

2 minutes ago, PhDPLZ said:

Yes, but if you have only sent out invites for a few people you can take an educated guess. I think people just prefer to be cautious :)

I also believe interviews for Ryerson have gone out, but I may be mistaken (I applied as well but have not received an interview :'( )

Fair enough. 

I'm in the same boat as you! This is my third time applying to Ryerson and I got interviews last two years. Third time is definitely not a charm for me! lol

Oh well *shrug*

4 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Fair enough. 

I'm in the same boat as you! This is my third time applying to Ryerson and I got interviews last two years. Third time is definitely not a charm for me! lol

Oh well *shrug*

I guess we can both hope until final rejections have been sent lol