Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

Has any one else received an email from UOttawa?

They just sent me an email saying that they've used my transcript from my CGS-M application and found that my grade average does not meet their minimum requirement of 80% so I've been rejected. Which is quite a surprise as my average is well above 80%. I emailed them asking for clarification but nothing yet.

3 hours ago, prospectclin said:

Do POIs review applications individually? I still don't understand the review process 

I can confirm that at least some of them do. I know for a fact one of mine was looking at my application herself (as she emailed me asking for info about one aspect that was missing due to a clerical error).

It may just depend on the university and/or the specific POI though.

50 minutes ago, psycgrad08 said:

They just sent me an email saying that they've used my transcript from my CGS-M application and found that my grade average does not meet their minimum requirement of 80% so I've been rejected. Which is quite a surprise as my average is well above 80%. I emailed them asking for clarification but nothing yet.

Sorry to hear - to say that this would annoy me would be an understatement. I haven't received any such email (yet). Hope they re-review as that would be extremely unfair.

5 hours ago, psycgrad08 said:

I didn't get anything like that either :S very weird indeed, I hope they get back to you soon and correct this!

8 hours ago, prospectclin said:

Do POIs review applications individually? I still don't understand the review process 

It sounds like each school does it a bit differently. From speaking with some POIs, it seems like the "Clinical Decision Committee" holds most of the weight in the decision, while the POI gets to still provide their input into whether they would like to take on the student. (In contrast with an experimental program, where the decision is almost entirely in the hands of the POI for accepting students - also based on funding). 

10 hours ago, prospectclin said:

still nothing from YorkU?? :(

10 hours ago, Gossamer said:

nope...

Through the grapevine...some of the CD faculty have begun to contact students. I'm not sure about the adult clinical area yet. Open House slated for Feb 17 I think

10 minutes ago, HappyLab said:

You guys rock. Still refreshing my email every 45 seconds hoping for emails from York and Guelph... they really do like to create last minute suspense with interviews being next week. Good luck all! :)

My guess is you won't hear from Guelph until later this evening...faculty have the day to get their choices in, so don't freak out if you don't hear anything until tonight!

18 minutes ago, Current-Grad said:

My guess is you won't hear from Guelph until later this evening...faculty have the day to get their choices in, so don't freak out if you don't hear anything until tonight!

Thanks for the heads up! That is very good to know, and also hopeful :)

Edited by HappyLab

2 hours ago, Current-Grad said:

Thank you so much for this!! This is why I love this forum.. although everyone told me it would cause me more anxiety than it was worth. But this brings at least some temporary relief!

19 minutes ago, Chasing Dreams (Degrees) said:

Thank you so much for this!! This is why I love this forum.. although everyone told me it would cause me more anxiety than it was worth. But this brings at least some temporary relief!

No problem!! I went through the same thing last year so I know how much any info helps. It's so stressful to be in the dark!

2 minutes ago, Current-Grad said:

Yes! Only a week away. 

Oh wow, that is crazy last minute. Do they run into problems often with people already having interviews? Those are really popular dates.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, superfruitpsych said:

Hey guys! New to GradCafe, this is awesome. Just wanted to share results I've gotten. I'm a Canadian student, applied to 10 schools across the country, first time. Clinical Psych btw.

I did apply to Ryerson and was feeling discouraged but from what I got, there's still hope?

I applied to Concordia and apparently they already had their orientation/interview, can anyone confirm that that's basically out of the bag?

I applied to Calgary and had a positive response until my POI told me they can no longer take students, which was really upsetting consdiering how much time and money goes into this phase (let alone stress)

I applied to Dal and also had a very positive response, interviewed but was told if you don't hear back from the first round, not to lose hope cause they send out a second round.

Currently interviewing for SFU.

Can someone please tell me the status of Western and UVic? I see people with interviews? :S

Not sure if someone responded re: Western - but individual POIs have been emailing the shortlist of applicants to inform them about the interview day on February 3rd. I know that emails have been going out at different times based on the supervisor, but likely that most will be out by the end of today.

8 minutes ago, LLsApps said:

Oh wow, that is crazy last minute. Do they run into problems often with people already having interviews? Those are really popular dates.

I'm not sure! I would assume they do, but that's the case with lots of schools, scheduling is tough. I know they've also done skype interviews, but I have no idea how that affects your chances, because the day is so crucial in getting to know you. I was told there were lots of great applicants this year, so maybe that's why it's last minute...perhaps profs are having a tough time choosing!

8 minutes ago, Current-Grad said:

I'm not sure! I would assume they do, but that's the case with lots of schools, scheduling is tough. I know they've also done skype interviews, but I have no idea how that affects your chances, because the day is so crucial in getting to know you. I was told there were lots of great applicants this year, so maybe that's why it's last minute...perhaps profs are having a tough time choosing!

I definitely understand scheduling is rough, but I've never seen invitations go out this close to the date! I've had interviews scheduled for both of those dates since December, and I can imagine other people being in the same boat. Best of luck to everyone, regardless!