Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

So I had an interview over the weekend with a PI, was wondering what your guys thoughts were with sending a thank you note (email). Have any of you guys done that? Did they seem well received?  

11 minutes ago, cosimaniehaus said:

Yes I've sent out a thank you email after my interviews. Some profs dont reply to them and some do. It definately doesn't hurt to send one.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I base it off of work interview thank you note templates? Thanks!

58 minutes ago, PhDPLZ said:

So I had an interview over the weekend with a PI, was wondering what your guys thoughts were with sending a thank you note (email). Have any of you guys done that? Did they seem well received?  

I sent a thank you email after an in-person interview and my POI sent a very nice response. 

I genuinely really enjoyed my interview day and meeting everyone, so I wanted to thank my POI/their lab for everything. I mentioned a few specific things like enjoying learning about study X, meeting the lab, etc. to avoid sounding like I'd copied and pasted a generic thank you letter: 

1 hour ago, prospectclin said:

thanks. that sucks but im sure it's a sign of the quality of your app that your POI emailed you directly. good luck w your other apps :) 

Thank you so much!

Yes he was very kind. He told me I was a strong applicant but, given the competition of Clinical Psychology, it often boils down to rejecting a lot of qualified applicants. Kinda sad because I think a ton of us on here could be great students!

52 minutes ago, hsnl said:

I sent a thank you email after an in-person interview and my POI sent a very nice response. 

I genuinely really enjoyed my interview day and meeting everyone, so I wanted to thank my POI/their lab for everything. I mentioned a few specific things like enjoying learning about study X, meeting the lab, etc. to avoid sounding like I'd copied and pasted a generic thank you letter: 

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, delmoon said:

Has anyone heard from York ?

Nope, still nothing from them. I don't think anyone has heard back, but someone said that they were going to start contacting people this week. 

7 hours ago, researchjunkie said:

is it just me or is waiting for interview day more stressful than the actual interview itself?!

It's SO BAD. I'm probably more neurotic than others but I honestly must check my email several times an hour and check my app status online up to 3 or 4 times a day. It's brutal. I keep thinking, god forbid I have to apply again next year bc this year, waiting has been far worse than I expected. 

26 minutes ago, prospectclin said:

It's SO BAD. I'm probably more neurotic than others but I honestly must check my email several times an hour and check my app status online up to 3 or 4 times a day. It's brutal. I keep thinking, god forbid I have to apply again next year bc this year, waiting has been far worse than I expected. 

Oh I feel you on that one. I don't even know if I will be able to do this process over again. It is horrible!

1 hour ago, PhDPLZ said:

Oh I feel you on that one. I don't even know if I will be able to do this process over again. It is horrible!

maybe it's like the analogy ppl sometimes make when you're going through a breakup - like, the pain lets you know you really cared lol... i think it can be good to care about something so much. hang in there my gradcafe amigos.

I know this is a stressful time for many people here and I was in the same boat many times over and over (still haven't gotten in lol). But I just want to remind everyone that at the end of the day- this is just a graduate school program. I know it means a lot and may get you started on your career path, but all of you have the capability already there. Find what gets you fired up and makes you happy and follow it. Do it whether you get in or not and you will be happy anyway. This is just one option but what's needed to have fulfiling careers is already in you so try not to make this into more than it is- just one more option of making your career dreams come true. You will make it happen either way if you really want to and it will be just as amazing when you do :) 

Has anyone who received an interview at Guelph received confirmation of an interview date since initial correspondence with the program coordinator? I was told to plan for a specific date, but that I would hear last night with confirmation and further details and I haven't yet. Just not sure if I should be patient (probably the case) or email her to follow up.

1 hour ago, Generic_Applicant said:

I know this is a stressful time for many people here and I was in the same boat many times over and over (still haven't gotten in lol). But I just want to remind everyone that at the end of the day- this is just a graduate school program. I know it means a lot and may get you started on your career path, but all of you have the capability already there. Find what gets you fired up and makes you happy and follow it. Do it whether you get in or not and you will be happy anyway. This is just one option but what's needed to have fulfiling careers is already in you so try not to make this into more than it is- just one more option of making your career dreams come true. You will make it happen either way if you really want to and it will be just as amazing when you do :) 

Thank you, this made my day :)

To all those who've applied to uOttawa, I spoke with a professor today and they told me that this week was when professors would be sent their list of potential students. In the coming weeks, maybe 2 or 3, is when they will be making their decisions and sending their rankings back to the committee for final admission decisions. So, don't stress about your application being "incomplete" online - this is normal and part of the new software system that was installed last semester!