Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

On 1/16/2017 at 3:10 PM, Jay's Brain said:

Updates on York University: I don't think any shortlist has been sent out yet, and I don't think faculty members have begun to meet with prospective students yet. The Open House for Clinical and Clinical-Developmental was around February 12th of last year so presumably those of you who have applied may hear back late January/early February.

^UTSC tend to have interviews where prospective applicants go through a roundtable of meeting several of the core clinical faculty members, even those that you didn't include on your statement as prospective PIs.

Hope that helps! 

Hi Jay's Brain - I was wondering if you had any insight into how the selection process at York works?

2 hours ago, hsnl said:

Has anyone heard from Queens yet? I think there was an interview posted in the results section a few weeks ago but I haven't seen anything since. 

I've spoken to two of my three profs- one has completed his interviews a few weeks ago, and the other is only considering applicants that listed her as first choice for supervisor. I'm pretty sure most have sent out their interview invites at this point.

3 hours ago, BeezKnees said:

I've spoken to two of my three profs- one has completed his interviews a few weeks ago, and the other is only considering applicants that listed her as first choice for supervisor. I'm pretty sure most have sent out their interview invites at this point.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected. 

On 2017-01-20 at 0:49 PM, delmoon said:

Has anyone heard back from UTSC ? Do you know if they interview outside the official interview weekend ?

Very limited, and only if they want to look at a few more candidates that did not make the initial cut. But that means it is still a possibility! Contact their go-to person to see if where they are in the application timeline.

19 hours ago, prospectclin said:

Hi Jay's Brain - I was wondering if you had any insight into how the selection process at York works?

I have a vague understanding about how it works, but I think there is a round table where the clinical faculty figures out which PIs will be taking on students this year, and then the PIs will contact the students individually and a shortlist of students will be invited to the Open House in February. That's usually when they meet other grad students and some of the other faculty members. The PIs then submit the request for the student(s) they want to take, and there's an adcom that makes sure the student(s) is okay and approved. I know there's an internal waitlist too of students that may be contacted if the students ranked above them decline. These ones may or may not be invited to the Open House. York is pretty slow on all fronts, so you may hear from them late and know about acceptance/rejections later too.

22 minutes ago, Jay's Brain said:

I have a vague understanding about how it works, but I think there is a round table where the clinical faculty figures out which PIs will be taking on students this year, and then the PIs will contact the students individually and a shortlist of students will be invited to the Open House in February. That's usually when they meet other grad students and some of the other faculty members. The PIs then submit the request for the student(s) they want to take, and there's an adcom that makes sure the student(s) is okay and approved. I know there's an internal waitlist too of students that may be contacted if the students ranked above them decline. These ones may or may not be invited to the Open House. York is pretty slow on all fronts, so you may hear from them late and know about acceptance/rejections later too.

thanks! appreciate it

Hey guys! New to GradCafe, this is awesome. Just wanted to share results I've gotten. I'm a Canadian student, applied to 10 schools across the country, first time. Clinical Psych btw.

I did apply to Ryerson and was feeling discouraged but from what I got, there's still hope?

I applied to Concordia and apparently they already had their orientation/interview, can anyone confirm that that's basically out of the bag?

I applied to Calgary and had a positive response until my POI told me they can no longer take students, which was really upsetting consdiering how much time and money goes into this phase (let alone stress)

I applied to Dal and also had a very positive response, interviewed but was told if you don't hear back from the first round, not to lose hope cause they send out a second round.

Currently interviewing for SFU.

Can someone please tell me the status of Western and UVic? I see people with interviews? :S

4 hours ago, superfruitpsych said:

Hey guys! New to GradCafe, this is awesome. Just wanted to share results I've gotten. I'm a Canadian student, applied to 10 schools across the country, first time. Clinical Psych btw.

I did apply to Ryerson and was feeling discouraged but from what I got, there's still hope?

I applied to Concordia and apparently they already had their orientation/interview, can anyone confirm that that's basically out of the bag?

I applied to Calgary and had a positive response until my POI told me they can no longer take students, which was really upsetting consdiering how much time and money goes into this phase (let alone stress)

I applied to Dal and also had a very positive response, interviewed but was told if you don't hear back from the first round, not to lose hope cause they send out a second round.

Currently interviewing for SFU.

Can someone please tell me the status of Western and UVic? I see people with interviews? :S

Hey! I'm not sure about the other programs/schools, but I have friends who have applied to UVic and Concordia.

The first wave (presumably) for UVic received invitations to their campus during the first week ish of February. I think there was an option for a couple of days to choose from.

Also yes, Concordia had their orientation/interview earlier this month already. 

As with all schools, do not be discouraged! Until you receive an official notice or word from the department/school, there is always a possibility!

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Does anyone know when do we expect response (interview, rejection or anything) from McGill (School and Applied Child Psychology) and OISE (SCCP) usually?

Much thanks and hang in there during this hard and brutal waiting time!!! 

10 hours ago, lockman86 said:

Does anyone know when do we expect response (interview, rejection or anything) from McGill (School and Applied Child Psychology) and OISE (SCCP) usually?

Much thanks and hang in there during this hard and brutal waiting time!!! 

OISE SCCP is aiming to send out official results early March, with interviews sometime in February

is anyone familiar with the interview process at UVictoria? Previous posts have said that generally 3-4 candidates are interviewed for one spot at most universities but I received an email about the clinical grad students taking the candidates out for supper rather than a larger social gathering, which leads me to believe that it will be a smaller group. There are 6 clinical faculty accepting students and I would think that at least one grad student from each lab would be attending. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to figure out what my odds are at this point! 

at least one school in downtown toronto has sent out all invitations for interviews.  some might even call it a "visiting day".  the competition was beyond insane this year.  # of applications between 200-400.  i've received word from 2/3 schools that i didn't get in. waiting on one more school.  second time around applying (last year only applied to one school though).  

10 minutes ago, blackscotch said:

at least one school in downtown toronto has sent out all invitations for interviews.  some might even call it a "visiting day".  the competition was beyond insane this year.  # of applications between 200-400.  i've received word from 2/3 schools that i didn't get in. waiting on one more school.  second time around applying (last year only applied to one school though).  

Ryerson?

Hey all! Long time GradCafe lurker, first time poster. I've applied to the Clinical Psych PhD stream at both McGill and uOttawa (French Stream), SCCP Program at OISE, and Counselling Psychology at McGill. If anyone's applied to these programs and heard back please message me! I'll be sure to post if I hear anything, good or bad! Let's do this :) 

Edited by Piagets#1Fan

2 hours ago, psycgrad08 said:

is anyone familiar with the interview process at UVictoria? Previous posts have said that generally 3-4 candidates are interviewed for one spot at most universities but I received an email about the clinical grad students taking the candidates out for supper rather than a larger social gathering, which leads me to believe that it will be a smaller group. There are 6 clinical faculty accepting students and I would think that at least one grad student from each lab would be attending. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to figure out what my odds are at this point! 

Based on the previous stats listed by the department, it seems like they interview ~10-15 people per cycle... I think it all depends on who your POI is!

24 minutes ago, HopefulFutureGrad said:

Has anyone who interviewed with Ryerson prof T.O. (neuropsych/clinical) heard anything back from her since then? I haven't heard since my interview but apparently since all the visiting day invites have gone out it might be a lost cause... but I'm still holding out a lot of hope for it

I applied to her but never had an interview. I guess our interests are the same - where else have you applied?

On 21/01/2017 at 11:46 PM, Jay's Brain said:

Hey! I'm not sure about the other programs/schools, but I have friends who have applied to UVic and Concordia.

The first wave (presumably) for UVic received invitations to their campus during the first week ish of February. I think there was an option for a couple of days to choose from.

Also yes, Concordia had their orientation/interview earlier this month already. 

As with all schools, do not be discouraged! Until you receive an official notice or word from the department/school, there is always a possibility!

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Ok great, thank  you :) 

On 1/21/2017 at 1:01 PM, prospectclin said:

could the poster who got an interview at Western PM their POI? waiting to hear back is so brutal :'(

Same here! I know my POI was at a conference the last week, so I'm hoping there is just a delay.

Based on last year it looks like they send out all invites by January 28/29, so still crossing my fingers! :)