Playwriting MFAs

dampka

15 hours ago, broccolini said:

got an interview for northwestern? ahhhhh!

Yay! Congrats! 

I'm wondering if anyone else happened to hear from them? There's not enough info in the results page from previous years to get an accurate picture about what this means for the rest of us. :)  

2 hours ago, space94 said:

Yay! Congrats! 

I'm wondering if anyone else happened to hear from them? There's not enough info in the results page from previous years to get an accurate picture about what this means for the rest of us. :)  

I haven’t heard yet either. And haven’t heard from UCLA yet. 

6 hours ago, sandringham said:

Congrats @seasickmermaid and @broccolini!!!! Exciting week! I just found out I got an interview at Hunter College!! Christine Scarfuto emailed asking about availability next week. Sending good vibes out to everyone for more good news!!

Congrats on Hunter! I interviewed with Christine last year and she was a delight! I was most likely gonna go if not for the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, broccolini said:

thank you everyone!!! you all rock! this is only the beginning...I believe in us ❤️ (I always talk about this forum and my dad just said "what are your friends on grad cafe up to today?" lmao)

I don't know why, but I love that so much! lol Hi brocolini's dad!

5 hours ago, Agez said:

Congrats on Hunter! I interviewed with Christine last year and she was a delight! I was most likely gonna go if not for the pandemic. 

I don't know why, but I love that so much! lol Hi brocolini's dad!

Thanks @Agez!! Great to know you had such a good experience talking to Christine, and if not for the pandemic, would have gone! What did you decide about UCSD, or did you ask for more time?

Awww, haha, sweet of him to inquire after us, hi @broccolini's dad!

4 hours ago, ctbck said:

I have a friend who applied to Iowa... Any word from them?

I applied to Iowa, but haven’t heard any updates yet. Judging by last year’s timeline, there may be a little more time (looks like interviews/offers began in March in 2020). Hoping that’s the case!

In the interest of crowdsourcing info: someone on the MFA Draft '21 Facebook page reported an acceptance to UC Riverside's playwriting program today. I didn't apply there but thought it might be useful knowledge in case someone here did.

Best of luck to those with upcoming interviews as well as those still waiting on more schools!!

On 2/19/2021 at 2:49 PM, sandringham said:

Congrats @seasickmermaid and @broccolini!!!! Exciting week! I just found out I got an interview at Hunter College!! Christine Scarfuto emailed asking about availability next week. Sending good vibes out to everyone for more good news!!

Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear from Hunter. Was it a personalized email or was it a mass email? I've still got my fingers crossed. 

8 minutes ago, jeepersjinkies said:

Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear from Hunter. Was it a personalized email or was it a mass email? I've still got my fingers crossed. 

It was a individual email to me, so notifications may still be coming! Fingers crossed!!

16 hours ago, sandringham said:

Thanks @Agez!! Great to know you had such a good experience talking to Christine, and if not for the pandemic, would have gone! What did you decide about UCSD, or did you ask for more time?

Awww, haha, sweet of him to inquire after us, hi @broccolini's dad!

Oh, thank you for asking! I did end up accepting! The relief was very welcome. I just spoke with the other incoming playwright for a little Zoom meet up which was nice lol

I also got my person email from Hunter, but I let them know I had already accepted so hopefully that opens up an interview spot! I'll starting to realize how differently timed all these programs are when it comes to responses and such

11 hours ago, c.k.thompson.playwright said:

How is everyone doing? Of the 10 schools I applied to, I have only heard one update which was a rejection from CMU - no other rejections/interviews anything. I'm hoping that's normal....

@c.k.thompson.playwright- this is totally normal. It's still a little early. ?

Longtime lurker who has appreciated the process-related transparency y'all have provided ❤️

Don't know if anyone else applied to the MFA at Royal Central School of Speech & Drama (London), but wanted to share that I applied in early December and was told I would have a decision within 4 weeks -- that hasn't happened. I attended an information session at the beginning of February and they said it might be up to another two months before we hear back. Happy to provide more deets on my application to this program if anyone else has applied. 

Also applied to UT Austin, UCSD, Iowa, NYU, and Brown -- haven't heard a peep from any of those folks. 

4 hours ago, TrailMix said:

Longtime lurker who has appreciated the process-related transparency y'all have provided ❤️

Don't know if anyone else applied to the MFA at Royal Central School of Speech & Drama (London), but wanted to share that I applied in early December and was told I would have a decision within 4 weeks -- that hasn't happened. I attended an information session at the beginning of February and they said it might be up to another two months before we hear back. Happy to provide more deets on my application to this program if anyone else has applied. 

Also applied to UT Austin, UCSD, Iowa, NYU, and Brown -- haven't heard a peep from any of those folks. 

hi! also a lurker and I applied to CSSD this year--I actually accepted an offer from them last year and didn't go due to covid, but I had interviewed/been accepted by like early January, so I'm glad to hear they're just taking their time this year! I applied to NYU, Brown, and UCSD as well we have a lot of overlap! 

congrats both of you!! i also applied to nyu, haven't heard anything yet.. wondering if i should take that as a no? although ik nyu has a rep of sending out interview reqs not all at once so who knows lol

43 minutes ago, cheesy said:

congrats both of you!! i also applied to nyu, haven't heard anything yet.. wondering if i should take that as a no? although ik nyu has a rep of sending out interview reqs not all at once so who knows lol

I wouldn't take that as a no. NYU will literally send out requests up to two weeks apart. I think it has a lot to do with individual interviewer availability. Right now, anything can happen. It's just still a awaiting game. :)