Playwriting MFAs

dampka

@Tarantinoverse Congrats! I had read somewhere that Brown doesn't do interviews so it's good to know that they actually do! 

I just had my UCLA interview today with the entire playwriting faculty and they are all such amazing people! If anyone else has an interview there and is nervous, don't worry, they were super nice!

35 minutes ago, ZoraNeale2021 said:

@Tarantinoverse any advice for Brown? I have an interview with them as well! kind of nervous about it. Not to mention it's gonna be super early in the morning my time (west coast).....I'll barely be functioning and awake. ?

congratulations!! basically, my best advice would be to just 100% be yourself. definitely be prepared to talk about your work; that's what we spent most of the interview talking about. they made some reference to specific lines/moments, so just make sure you're able to speak on those points and your thoughts behind them, and you should be all set! it's super low-key. i am very sorry that you have to wake up so early though!

Quick update here, had a lovely conversation with Christine Scarfuto, playwriting program director at Hunter, and the head of the theatre dept, Gregory Mosher. As @Agez had promised, Christine was very kind and warm; it was really easy to talk to both of them. They asked questions about my journey as a playwright and then talked about Hunter's program and answered my questions. As it might pertain to everyone waiting on notifications, she told me their current timeline is to interview folks for the next two weeks (today was the first day of interviews), and then make a decision. 

Congratulations to everyone with NYU and Brown interviews! Very exciting!!! @seasickmermaid so glad to hear you had such a great experience in your UCLA interview!

Sending positive vibes to all for interviews to come and the continued waiting game!!

Edited by sandringham

@yoinky That's awesome! Congrats! @Applicant2021meI am in the same boat with Pace, I keep checking my applicant portal and nothing has changed but during my interview he said I'd hear soon...I have no idea when would be appropriate to email them, but let me know if you end up doing it, I'm debating on whether to as well. 

@Applicant2021me @seasickmermaid Last year I did an interview with Austin, mid Feb. They said they'd get back to me 'by the end of the week'. (I believe I interviewed on a Tuesday or Wednesday.) Didn't hear a peep from them and waited to email until the end of March. They apologized for the delay, blamed COVID (even though this was the very start of the pandemic and I interviewed several weeks before it hit the US) and very shortly after getting back to me, my rejection was posted on the application portal. All of which made me think that they forgot to get back to me. I wish I had emailed them sooner for my own piece of mind. 

Take this for what you will. My opinion is that if you've waited 3 weeks, you're probably fine to send a brief, polite email asking about your status. Best of luck!

21 minutes ago, TrailMix said:

@Applicant2021me @seasickmermaid Last year I did an interview with Austin, mid Feb. They said they'd get back to me 'by the end of the week'. (I believe I interviewed on a Tuesday or Wednesday.) Didn't hear a peep from them and waited to email until the end of March. They apologized for the delay, blamed COVID (even though this was the very start of the pandemic and I interviewed several weeks before it hit the US) and very shortly after getting back to me, my rejection was posted on the application portal. All of which made me think that they forgot to get back to me. I wish I had emailed them sooner for my own piece of mind. 

Take this for what you will. My opinion is that if you've waited 3 weeks, you're probably fine to send a brief, polite email asking about your status. Best of luck!

Thank you so much! Maybe I’ll wait til Monday and see.

I had my NYU interview and I felt very nervous going in so I wanted to help the peeps out who have upcoming interviews. I had read on this forum that your interviewer may have not read your play, so I prepared for that. To my surprise, my interviewer had read my play and we had a great discussion about it. I would say be prepared to talk more about your play. That may seem like a given, but talking about your own play can be hard, so coming in with your main pitch ready to go will make you feel so much better. And there will be a lot of time for questions so make sure to come in with a list, the more the better! I would also definitely suggest looking into the mirror before your interview and saying: I'm the hottest, smartest, coolest playwright in the world. ~~manifesting~~

Hi all. I'm interested in applying to a few more places, and wondering if folks know of schools who accept applications on a rolling basis? I know University of New Mexico accepts applicants until April 1st if there are available spots, wondering if there are any others out there. So far, I've applied to Columbia, USC, UCLA, and UCSD. 

47 minutes ago, nickelmoop said:

in @ ut. cried on the floor. wrote my mom a poem. danced to sylvan esso. monday! :)

FUCK YEAH! CONGRATULATIONS! You deserve that cry! w00t!