1 hour ago, Daisies18 said:

Hey, sorry to hear about your rejection. I know a proff who sits in the admissions committee, according to her, the letter of statement is very important, in which you have to demonstrate fit. You have an amazing profile but maybe too many people applied this time around. 

Absolutely! I completely respect the decision but after spending 4 months writing that letter (including extremely positive feedback from the dean of the school), I was quite shocked. Hoping I might get feedback on why the decision was made but until then, fingers crossed for the MSc. Thanks for your insight!

1 hour ago, vancouverrunner said:

I just got an email of rejection from UBC MA in Interdisiciplinary (where I applied to do it in conjunction with SPPH). I am a bit taken back as I also applied for their MSc in Population and Public Health but the odd's might be low for that program as it in very quantitatively based and I feel as though my background does not lend itself to it. But we will see, fingers crossed. Background

-3 years health promotion/public health Ieading a national project around changing Canadian legislation

-Nursing degree (3.9 GPA)

-Two supervisors who have guaranteed me funding and a position/office in their research centre

-Well written proposal inwhich both supervisors said was PhD level

-My stats course is a grade below the requirement therefore I think UBC will hone in on this but hoping they see all the other qualifications and make a rounded decision.... but who knows

-Presentations, publications, experience writing a nursing course module for a government body.

I am honestly shocked about the MA... The requirements are so much lower! Geez, what does it take to get into school these days?!

Your have a very strong profile. I am surprised you got a rejection. I hope they at least provide you with a feedback.

Graduate programs are so competitive, I don't think I stand a chance. 

2 hours ago, AniSabi said:

Your have a very strong profile. I am surprised you got a rejection. I hope they at least provide you with a feedback.

Graduate programs are so competitive, I don't think I stand a chance. 

I am sure you do :) It's so tough out there right now and I know UBC can be challenging to get into. 

Feedback would be nice but we will see. Have not heard anything yet... Hoping the next application is successful, if not I will take another year off, get more experience and perhaps think about applying elsewhere!

36 minutes ago, EmPeeAych said:

Anyone choosing SFU MPH? 

I will be accepting but haven't heard back from other schools I have applied to so it all depends on that :) Is SFU your #1 option/ school you are hoping to go to?

6 hours ago, vancouverrunner said:

I just got an email of rejection from UBC MA in Interdisiciplinary (where I applied to do it in conjunction with SPPH). I am a bit taken back as I also applied for their MSc in Population and Public Health but the odd's might be low for that program as it in very quantitatively based and I feel as though my background does not lend itself to it. But we will see, fingers crossed. Background

-3 years health promotion/public health Ieading a national project around changing Canadian legislation

-Nursing degree (3.9 GPA)

-Two supervisors who have guaranteed me funding and a position/office in their research centre

-Well written proposal inwhich both supervisors said was PhD level

-My stats course is a grade below the requirement therefore I think UBC will hone in on this but hoping they see all the other qualifications and make a rounded decision.... but who knows

-Presentations, publications, experience writing a nursing course module for a government body.

I am honestly shocked about the MA... The requirements are so much lower! Geez, what does it take to get into school these days?!

I'm sorry to hear this too :( You do have such a strong profile! I would email and ask about what the decision criteria was. I did the same for my rejection from McGill and they did give a good answer. 

57 minutes ago, goalsforgradschool said:

I'm sorry to hear this too :( You do have such a strong profile! I would email and ask about what the decision criteria was. I did the same for my rejection from McGill and they did give a good answer. 

Hi, 

do you mind sharing what feedback they gave you? Broadly speaking..

On 2018-02-28 at 6:58 PM, zmph2018 said:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has gotten into the MPH program at McGill with a low calculus grade?

Thanks!

Hi - I got in to McGill's MScPH with low grades in calculus and statistics:

Differential Calculus - 74%, B letter grade
Integral Calculus - 60%, C letter grade
Intro Statistics - 76%, B+ letter grade

I just finished my MBA, and had to take a statistics for business class (which was very basic compared to my undergrad intro to stats course) and got 91% (A+), although I'm not sure if this was counted as part of my application (since the info on McGill's website says "undergraduate" calculus/stats courses).

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more!

Edited by bicman

On 3/9/2018 at 3:54 PM, Daisies18 said:

Hi, 

do you mind sharing what feedback they gave you? Broadly speaking..

Yeah! They sent me the questions they pose for decision making criteria and the first item on the list was quantitative skills. It's very important to their program, and my rejection makes sense since I don't have strong grades in Calculus (we're talking Cs) and I applied just to see if there was a chance. With the program being quantitatively heavy I'm not surprised with my rejection.

Their program is relatively small but they also look for high academic achievement and a really strong personal statement that highlights the importance of public health. 

19 hours ago, rapschem said:

Anyone here apply to MPH at Western? When can we expect to hear back? Anyone have any idea about the admissions stats?

I Applied, also anxiously waiting to hear back ( fingers crossed). What are your stats like??

1 hour ago, mphkeener said:

I Applied, also anxiously waiting to hear back ( fingers crossed). What are your stats like??

I spoke with the admissions counsellor and she said they separate applicants into two categories: undergrad and public health. Students accepted right out of undergrad tend to have higher GPAs than those with public health experience. Does anyone have any more info on admission stats? 

Hi there,

Been looking for a while.

I have applied to Brock MPH, Waterloo MPH, Waterloo MHE, and Western MPH.

I have been waitlisted at brock so far. Does anyone know how many people are admitted? I was told they only have 10 students on their wait list. 

3 hours ago, SMPH said:

Hi there,

Been looking for a while.

I have applied to Brock MPH, Waterloo MPH, Waterloo MHE, and Western MPH.

I have been waitlisted at brock so far. Does anyone know how many people are admitted? I was told they only have 10 students on their wait list. 

Hi, when did you hear back from Brock? Mine still says under review. I was waitlisted last year and they have (if i remember correctly) 25 people in the program and did keep 10 on the waitlist!

1 hour ago, bailm16 said:

Hi, when did you hear back from Brock? Mine still says under review. I was waitlisted last year and they have (if i remember correctly) 25 people in the program and did keep 10 on the waitlist!

I was notified just this past friday that I was put on the wait list on my brock portal. Were you aware of what number on the wait list you were last year? The tole me they can not inform me of my place on it

2 hours ago, SMPH said:

I was notified just this past friday that I was put on the wait list on my brock portal. Were you aware of what number on the wait list you were last year? The tole me they can not inform me of my place on it

Hi SMPH, I applied to Brock too and my portal still says under review... Do you know if acceptances went out? I thought waitlist comes out after all acceptances are given

11 hours ago, mph2020 said:

Hi SMPH, I applied to Brock too and my portal still says under review... Do you know if acceptances went out? I thought waitlist comes out after all acceptances are given

When I talked to them on Friday afternoon they made it sound like the first round has gone out and those people have one month to answer 

22 hours ago, SMPH said:

Ya I called last year when i was on the waitlist and i think i was #3 but when i called there were only 2 spots left and they were just waiting to hear if those last couple people were accepting/rejecting. So close... haha I called late though, like end of April I'm pretty sure, so everything was pretty much decided at that point