5 minutes ago, sickening_wreck said:

So did I! Congrats!! Received it at about 2:45pm.:) I couldn't believe it since I wasn't expecting to hear for another month.

Congratulations!! Me too, caught me totally off guard. What are your thoughts on U of T? I believe U of T is exponentially more expensive than other MPH programs I applied to…. but also the practicum is typically paid. 

6 minutes ago, 12nkv said:

Has anyone heard anything from UBC MPH? 

I just heard from UBC MSc in Pop. Public Health. Waitlisted! Probably taking this as a no.... Ugh, so gutted. Apparently having a supervisor, funding, and two years as a research assistant as a lead on a national health canada project doesnt help very much. I dont know if I will apply again to UBC after all this.

9 minutes ago, vancouverrunner said:

I just heard from UBC MSc in Pop. Public Health. Waitlisted! Probably taking this as a no.... Ugh, so gutted. Apparently having a supervisor, funding, and two years as a research assistant as a lead on a national health canada project doesnt help very much. I dont know if I will apply again to UBC after all this.

Sorry to hear that! :( Did you receive an email or check your status on the online application?

57 minutes ago, emilywpg said:

Congratulations!! Me too, caught me totally off guard. What are your thoughts on U of T? I believe U of T is exponentially more expensive than other MPH programs I applied to…. but also the practicum is typically paid. 

I am finishing my undergrad at U of T now so I'm super happy to continue here. The health promotion program seems excellent, but like you, the main downside for me is the cost. I hope it pays off! Also, just a side note, at the open house I went to in fall for DLSPH, they said the practicums may or may not be paid for health promotion (for epi, they are most often paid). 

9 minutes ago, futurejdmph said:

All the people that heard from UofT - have you all applied for the Health Promotion stream specifically and were you e-mailed or did your status change of the admissions application? Also congrats to all!!! :)

Yes I applied to Health Promotion. I was emailed, the status on SGS still says "Under Review" and I believe it will stay that way until they go through SGS and I receive my official offer.

21 minutes ago, sickening_wreck said:

Yes I applied to Health Promotion. I was emailed, the status on SGS still says "Under Review" and I believe it will stay that way until they go through SGS and I receive my official offer.

Thanks for letting me know :) Congratulations again!!!

Edited by futurejdmph

I got the acceptance email for UofT health promotion too!!

The email says "We have received 500 applications and are accepting 42 students for September 2018". I wonder if that means they sent out 42 acceptances, or a lot more than 42 to get to the desired cohort size of 42.  

45 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

The email says "We have received 500 applications and are accepting 42 students for September 2018". I wonder if that means they sent out 42 acceptances, or a lot more than 42 to get to the desired cohort size of 42.  

Congrats!

Do you mind sharing your stats so the rest of us can get an idea of where we stand?

7 minutes ago, Daisies18 said:

Congrats!

Do you mind sharing your stats so the rest of us can get an idea of where we stand?

I actually shared mine a few pages earlier, but here it is again: 

I'll go through the 5 categories that they claim to use to access applications. 

1. Academic grades
The average of my last 10 senior level courses is a high 80, although my cumulative for my entire undergrad is much lower. 

2. Social science background
I come from a social science and social work background.

3. A statement of intent 
I think that my statement was decent. I really made an effort to look up what they were looking for and talk about how my experience fit that. (For example, talk about how I my work involves social determinants of health.)
I'm also hoping to do the health research route, so I spoke specifically about my vision for public health and the kind of research I want to do. 

4. Experience 
As I mentioned above, I'm in social work, so it's quite easy to relate my work to social justice and health inequities. 
I work full-time at a mental health treatment centre. I've worked one year working with high school students in low-income neighbourhoods -- this was case management, helping them use education to break out of poverty. Also have 1.5 years volunteering at homeless shelters, community centres, schools for children with special needs, etc. 
I'm also currently working on publishing my first journal article in the field of public health. 

5. Two letters of reference 
I honestly think this was the best part of my application. I had 1 academic, and 1 work reference. Great relationships with both of them.

34 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

I actually shared mine a few pages earlier, but here it is again: 

I'll go through the 5 categories that they claim to use to access applications. 

1. Academic grades
The average of my last 10 senior level courses is a high 80, although my cumulative for my entire undergrad is much lower. 

2. Social science background
I come from a social science and social work background.

3. A statement of intent 
I think that my statement was decent. I really made an effort to look up what they were looking for and talk about how my experience fit that. (For example, talk about how I my work involves social determinants of health.)
I'm also hoping to do the health research route, so I spoke specifically about my vision for public health and the kind of research I want to do. 

4. Experience 
As I mentioned above, I'm in social work, so it's quite easy to relate my work to social justice and health inequities. 
I work full-time at a mental health treatment centre. I've worked one year working with high school students in low-income neighbourhoods -- this was case management, helping them use education to break out of poverty. Also have 1.5 years volunteering at homeless shelters, community centres, schools for children with special needs, etc. 
I'm also currently working on publishing my first journal article in the field of public health. 

5. Two letters of reference 
I honestly think this was the best part of my application. I had 1 academic, and 1 work reference. Great relationships with both of them.

Aww, thanks for sharing your stats. Well deserved!

Best of luck with your studies, now that you are in :D

Edited by Daisies18

39 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

They send more than 42. They expect some people to drop/reject the offer of admission and some people get waitlisted

Just got a conditional offer for MPH at U of T (Health Promotion) - didn't meet the stats requirement but they are allowing me to take a class this summer.

If any of you is stressing about their stats req just know that there's hope!

Congrats to everyone accepted yet, and for everyone still waiting hang in there. Was rejected from McGill so an acceptance at U of T was so out of my mind.

So excited!!!

Hi everyone, 

I received a conditional offer for the MPH program at U of T. Like the poster above, I will be fulfilling the statistics requirement during the summer. According to my admission e-mail, there were about 500 applications for 42 MPH places, this year. Best of luck to those still waiting for responses. 

36 minutes ago, mph2018 said:

Just got a conditional offer for MPH at U of T (Health Promotion) - didn't meet the stats requirement but they are allowing me to take a class this summer.

If any of you is stressing about their stats req just know that there's hope!

Congrats to everyone accepted yet, and for everyone still waiting hang in there. Was rejected from McGill so an acceptance at U of T was so out of my mind.

So excited!!!

At what time were you emailed? Congratulations!!! :)