Hi

hoping someone may be in the same boat or has a similar experience 

i received an invitation to a telephone interview from U of T epidemiology

im unsure if this common practice or what to expect. They’ve stated the purpose of the interview is to “make sure program is good fit for you”

Any thoughts or advice?

Edited by Lalamelon

2 hours ago, Lalamelon said:

Hi

im unsure if this common practice or what to expect. They’ve stated the purpose of the interview is to “make sure program is good fit for you”

Any thoughts or advice?

I’ve never heard of anyone actually having a phone interview from the 2017 cycle. But they do state this on their Epi application process page. 

Normally, telephone interviews are shorter than face-to-face/Skype interviews. They likely think you’re a qualified applicant, and found something from your application that needs some probing. Maybe go through your CV/letter of intent and be very clear on your expectations and aspirations within the program and from epi ad a field. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, blind_faith said:

I’ve never heard of anyone actually having a phone interview from the 2017 cycle. But they do state this on their Epi application process page. 

Normally, telephone interviews are shorter than face-to-face/Skype interviews. They likely think you’re a qualified applicant, and found something from your application that needs some probing. Maybe go through your CV/letter of intent and be very clear on your expectations and aspirations within the program and from epi ad a field. Good luck! 

Thanks!

the fact that it’s uncommon and only done when necessary (according to website) is what’s making me nervous! Feels like I’m about to get interrogated! And that they used if program is good fit for me doesn’t sit well either!

10 hours ago, Lalamelon said:

Hi

Any thoughts or advice?

Hmm interesting. Are you an international student by any chance? I'm a current MPH Epi student at U of T (will finish this April), and I know we never had to do interviews back when I applied. I guess things have changed! The GRE was never required/recommended back then either :P

On March 2, 2018 at 6:44 PM, And1 said:

Hmm interesting. Are you an international student by any chance? I'm a current MPH Epi student at U of T (will finish this April), and I know we never had to do interviews back when I applied. I guess things have changed! The GRE was never required/recommended back then either :P

I am however a canadian citizen. I also graduated a long time ago!

not sure what to make of this!

since you’re in the program, what kind of questions do you think they’ll ask?

On March 2, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Lalamelon said:

I am however a canadian citizen. I also graduated a long time ago!

not sure what to make of this!

since you’re in the program, what kind of questions do you think they’ll ask?

Well since I don't know anyone who did an interview, I'm really just guessing here but I suppose they would be asking the standard things like what made you apply, what you hope to get out of the program, and your career goals? I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to throw in some stuff about your skill set and how that aligns with the program's purpose and all. Best of luck! 

50 minutes ago, Inkblaze said:

My guess is SFU MPH offers start this week, UBCs MPH offers start this week or the following week and UofT MPH offers (Health Promo) start in early to mid-April. I don’t actually know if this is the case but I think that would somewhat align with last year.

source / reason for this guess?