Hi All. 

First time grad applicant here. Do people usually apply to CIHR OGS-M before entering grad studies or in their first year of study? From my limited experience, it seems like its easier if you apply in first year of masters given support from your supervisors and how you probably have a clearer idea of your research.  

Hi I am from Winnipeg, and did my BS in exercise science in Minnesota. So far I have applied to U of A, U of S, University of Waterloo and University of Manitoba. U of A is my top school. I am so nervous about getting in, I have submitted all my apps already I guess it is time to play the waiting game. Does anyone know the earliest they send out acceptance/declined letters for any of the schools I listed?

Also did anyone apply for the University of Manitoba? They have a 3 year work experience requirement which I find unusual seeing a lot of others schools do not have this, but do prefer work experience. I still applied to try my luck. Good luck to everyone applying and I hope to hear back soon! Also good luck with the application process because that was a stressful time getting all of those done!

Thanks friends!!

3 hours ago, AspiringDove said:

Hi everyone,

International applicant here. 

Can anyone please tell me what is the difference between a Letter of Intent and a Statement of Purpose? Does the letter of intent have a specific format to be followed?

Please help.

Hi there, when I wrote my letter of intent I addressed it to the MPH program director including my address, their address and date in the top left corner. So basically wrote it in the form of a regular letter.

Ms/Mr. My Name

Address

City, Province, Postal Code

Date

University of Saskatchewan

MPH Program Director

Saskatoon, SK S7N 2Z4

Attn: Master of Public Health

However for my statement of purpose I wrote this more like a paper without the additional demographics such as my address and date. I just titled it:  

Statement of Purpose, Name

Master of Public Health- Health Promotion On-Campus

University of Alberta

After that my content was generally the same for both the letter and statement. Hope this helps!! Would like to hear other people's input also

9 hours ago, dentistdoc said:

Can anyone please explain what is meant by "unofficial transcripts" as mentioned by few colleges.

An unofficial transcript is an academic record without signature, seal, date, or sealed envelope (usually submitted by you to the school on their application portal).  Official transcript is certified by the university you are attending, printed on security sensitive paper and contains the University seal and signature (mailed by your institution directly to the college you are applying to).

Edited by thaniecs

17 hours ago, dentistdoc said:

Are there any scholarships available for international students for MPH ...can anyone suggest /guide on this?

I just came across this chart from U of T, it might be helpful. Lists the awards for grad school (in general, so you'd have to check to see if each one is available for the MPH) by type of citizenship (and other info): http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/Documents/Graduate+Awards+Eligibility+Chart.pdf 

On 10/29/2017 at 2:15 PM, sickening_wreck said:

At U of T*, a term-long (e.g. fall) course is 0.5 credits or called full course equivalents (FCEs). So yes, if you took 5 courses worth 0.5 credits (per course) each term, it would be your last two full terms from when you apply.

To determine my expected GPA, I looked at the end of my transcript for the courses that will have grades when I apply in January, and counted backgrounds up to 5 FCEs. I then plugged them in to this calculator: http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/webapps/aacc-tools/GPA_calculator/index.cgi And I estimated my grades for the courses I'm currently enrolled in, to guess what my GPA would be for admission.

*I don't know if it works the same at other universities so I thought I'd explain. Hope that helps!

Does anyone know if the admission actually looks at just last two full terms at uoft rather than cGPA?

At McMaster the website says minimum  B+ in the final year of study, but when i talked to an admissions rep at an info booth, she said she looks at the entire transcript. 

Anyone planning on applying to the MSc in Population and Public Health at UBC? I am not applying to the MPH for lack of thesis based program and research centred (I want those experiences as a masters student). 

I have a below-accepted quantitative background a B instead of a B+ which is required (due to personal reasons during my undergrad stats course-bummer!). But hoping strong references, a supervisor, funding, and hired into a research project will make up for it. Hoping they offer conditional acceptance upon redo of a stats course! #fingerscrossed

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of applying for various MPH programs in Canada for 2018 but I am having such a hard time with the letter of intent, I have good grades and solid academic and professional references however I feel like the LOI will be my downfall. Does anyone have any good resources to help with writing LOI, such as formats and examples? Anything would help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 11:27 AM, sickening_wreck said:

Hey, I'm also planning to apply to U of T's Dalla Lana MPH health promo stream. I attended the Dalla Lana open house last week and they talked a little about the stats requirement for health promo. From my notes on it, the B is a minimum but they like to see higher than that, and they look at the grade in the most advanced stats course you took. I'm assuming that means the grades you have when you apply, though. So if you have a B in a stats course that fulfills all the requirements (i.e. up to ANOVA and regression) when you apply, and you take another stats course in winter semester to get a better grade, I personally don't think they would do a conditional offer based on waiting for the 2nd grade, and I think they would just look at your first stats course (as long as it fulfills the requirements) and base your admission on that.  

That's just my assumptions on it though, so you should shoot them an email if you want to be sure.

Yeah, I double checked with them and I guess I should just apply with a mediocre grade. I don't want it to be my downfall for acceptance, so I'm just worried about that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, jenniferkp said:

Hello Friends, 

As this academic year is coming to a close, and MPH applications will be opening in just 6ish (months depending on where you're applying to of course!), I thought a thread for us to discuss, share our thoughts, feelings, fears, and the trials and tribulations of MPH applications would be helpful. I also find it helpful to know who's applying where I'm excited to start this journey and I'm hoping we all see acceptance letters/emails in under a year! 

Schools/programs I plan to apply to: 

UBC MPH

UBC MSc in PPH (still need to start looking for a supervisor, how soon is too soon?)

SFU MPH 

Jennifer, did you ever find a supervisor for the MSc?I also decided to go for this program and wow, the application process took be the full 3 months (finding supervisors, writing the letter, etc..)

On 11/9/2017 at 10:45 PM, AspiringDove said:

Okay, Thanks for the help. 

I was wondering whether the LOI had a particular formal format which the universities ask for. Maybe it's just a regular letter to the admissions committee.

When I applied to UofT's MPH program (from which I graduated in 2016), I treated my Letter of Intent like a SOP.  There were 500 applicants to my stream, and only 12 acceptances (Community Nutrition), so that approach certainly worked for me.

On 07/11/2017 at 6:53 PM, ChelMPH said:

Hi I am from Winnipeg, and did my BS in exercise science in Minnesota. So far I have applied to U of A, U of S, University of Waterloo and University of Manitoba. U of A is my top school. I am so nervous about getting in, I have submitted all my apps already I guess it is time to play the waiting game. Does anyone know the earliest they send out acceptance/declined letters for any of the schools I listed?

Also did anyone apply for the University of Manitoba? They have a 3 year work experience requirement which I find unusual seeing a lot of others schools do not have this, but do prefer work experience. I still applied to try my luck. Good luck to everyone applying and I hope to hear back soon! Also good luck with the application process because that was a stressful time getting all of those done!

Thanks friends!!

Hi ChelMPH, I am an international applicant and I am applying for U of A and University of Manitoba too. Also Western University and Mc Master. I am not very confident after reading the discussions in other topics, But now I have to wait for the results! Good luck for us

Hello! I'm a relatively new RN looking to advance my career with a MPH degree.  I have a social sciences undergrad degree from before my BN as well, and I always knew public health was the general field I wanted to work towards.  I'm really interested in policy development and hope to one day work for a government branch.  

I'm applying to UVictoria and UWaterloo for their online MPH programs.  For financial reasons, and to continue gaining experience in the health care field, I wish to keep working as an RN in my rural town while I study, so full-time and on-campus programs were not feasible options for me.  

BTW, has anyone heard about the Waterloo Master in Health Evaluation program? I was so focused on the MPH degree, but the M.HE degree looks to be delivered in the same way and overall quite similar but just focused on evaluation of health projects and systems.  I'm considering whether to throw that in the mix as well. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, Rhcesar said:

Hi ChelMPH, I am an international applicant and I am applying for U of A and University of Manitoba too. Also Western University and Mc Master. I am not very confident after reading the discussions in other topics, But now I have to wait for the results! Good luck for us

Hi Rhcesar,

What are you not confident about that you heard? I am staying optimistic now about the results. Good luck to you too and everyone else!

2 hours ago, ChelMPH said:

Hi Rhcesar,

What are you not confident about that you heard? I am staying optimistic now about the results. Good luck to you too and everyone else!

About getting accepted! You are right!! I must be optimistic!

Good luck to everyone!!

I'm only applying to two programs - UBC and SFU MPH, since I don't really want to relocate (I love Vancouver). I figure if I don't get in, then next year I'll widen my search. I'm nervous though! I've never applied to grad school before. I just finished submitting both of my applications.

I'm hopeful - I have an A+ in both my stats courses, an honours degree (with a thesis component), and a few years of research work experience in the healthcare field. My GPA makes me nervous, cumulative it's a little over a B+, but for third and fourth year courses it's an A-. My school had a GPA out of 9, which was annoying and confusing to convert. Anyway, I'm not sure what they value most highly. But I'll be following this thread!

Best of luck to everyone!

Hello everyone, I am from Nigeria looking forward to a MPH degree from Canada. Any suggestions and please it has to be scholarship based because i am a self- funding student. You can reach me by mail mipoao31@gmail.com. Thank you.