Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

5 minutes ago, lydia616 said:

@smntoronto Have you heard anything from York yet? MyFile still hasn't been updated and I'm sure Ammad said that MyFile should be updated by thursday...

Hey! Ammad had only mentioned that MyFile would take a "few" days to update with the accept/decline link but that we should be receiving an email indicating there's a notification on MyFile beforehand. Mine still says "No Decision Yet" and I haven't received any letter in the mail. Tomorrow and Monday are holidays so I'm not sure there will be any changes until Tuesday, but I'm not worried about it. I know I had also mentioned I'd let you know what he says about practicums! I haven't forgotten - he just put me in touch with the practicum coordinator and I'm currently waiting on a response from her :)

11 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

I currently work for a regulatory body so I can verify this is true! By 2020 I believe anyone providing mental health care services (ie: psychotherapy, therapy) must be a member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists, OCSWSSW, College of Occupational Therapists, College of Nurses of Ontario or the College of Psychologists. 

Thank you for the information. :)

30 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Hey! Ammad had only mentioned that MyFile would take a "few" days to update with the accept/decline link but that we should be receiving an email indicating there's a notification on MyFile beforehand. Mine still says "No Decision Yet" and I haven't received any letter in the mail. Tomorrow and Monday are holidays so I'm not sure there will be any changes until Tuesday, but I'm not worried about it. I know I had also mentioned I'd let you know what he says about practicums! I haven't forgotten - he just put me in touch with the practicum coordinator and I'm currently waiting on a response from her :)

holidays. ugh. haha. i bet they're all happy that they'll be closed and they can stop answering all our phone calls and emails :P

59 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

I currently work for a regulatory body so I can verify this is true! By 2020 I believe anyone providing mental health care services (ie: psychotherapy, therapy) must be a member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists, OCSWSSW, College of Occupational Therapists, College of Nurses of Ontario or the College of Psychologists. 

This is an interesting change. Do you mind passing on any information on this legislation I'm interested in reading more about it. Thanks!  

1 hour ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Hey is this for the 2 year online program part time? Also who did you speak to? Were they just calling to give you a heads up? sorry for all the questions lol i am just really interested in this program 

Yes! My girlfriend got a call earlier today. I am not too sure if i got a call as i am out of the city. And she told her the same thing! And my girlfriend told me that Miljana was talking as if she already got in saying that they will set her up with a success advisor? Or something like that. Not sure

2 hours ago, SWMommy said:

Hi Everyone!

Did anyone else receive a call from the Laurier’s part time program admissions department today? I got a call around one. She said she would call with the decision on Monday, Tuesday latest. Not sure about the full time program though. 

Yes! My girlfriend got a call earlier today. I am not too sure if i got a call as i am out of the city. And she told her the same thing! And my girlfriend told me that Miljana was talking as if she already got in saying that they will set her up with a success advisor? Or something like that. Not sure

Congratulations, meerkitty (from one 'kitty' to another ;))!! Thank you for so generously sharing your experience with us – it's a testament to your perseverance and reflexivity, and to the admission committee's commitment to assessing applications comprehensively and holistically. I look forward to being classmates!

7 hours ago, meerkitty said:

Hey All!

I just wanted to chime in the conversation. Long time lurker. I also got accepted earlier this week (I have the 'Invited' on my Acorn account). My last name starts with 'A'. I was previously a student at UofT. I did really badly due to health and mental health issues. My GPA was around 2.4. I did do really well in the research courses, which I know they take into consideration. I decided to do a certificate program at York and did extremely well (8/9 GPA). I applied to UofT Sept 2017, and was put on the waitlist. I was hesitant applying for 2018. I have a lot of volunteer experience in the social services field. I showed a lot of vulnerability in my essay, and showed how I overcame it.

I might sound like a broken record, but don't give up! Don't take rejection as a reflection of your self worth. Work on yourself first. Find inner happiness and strength. It took a while to learn that. I am in a much better place now because I learned the proper tools for self care.

My therapist mentioned to me that they are pretty big on mental health (She has MSW from UofT). Also advised me to get volunteer experience where they train you in counselling (eg. Distress Centre).

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Typo and sentence structure.

I'm so sorry that you didn't get the news you were hoping for today, Erin :( – but, as many others have said, being waitlisted is a huge achievement, especially when you're applying straight from undergrad. I have to say, your application is incredible and very well-rounded – I think you have an excellent chance of making it in off the waitlist. Obviously, proceed with cautious optimism to protect your heart, but it's NOT over.

Moreover, I'll say this: if this year isn't the year, I don't think you necessarily need to be looking into college programs at this point. Your application is SERIOUSLY solid – I really believe that if you bulk up your social service experience (via paid or volunteer work – it doesn't matter), you'll be a shoe-in. I read that you've applied for victim services aide and youth probation assistant positions – those have competencies that are 100% applicable to social work, as long as you contextalise them in your statement. I think you'd see equal or better results from spending all the hours you'd dedicate to a post-grad diploma/certificate to volunteering in positions that include direct work with clients (e.g., Hospice Toronto, Philip Aziz Centre for Hospice Care, Toronto Distress Centre, Victim Services Toronto, Community Living, etc.), regardless of the paid work you end up securing. Only my opinion, of course, but though I'd share it to give you more to chew on.

Hope you have something special planned this weekend for your birthday, to get your mind off of this for now!

6 hours ago, Erin32796 said:

I just got my letter from U of T as well. I was placed on the waitlist...They only accepted 130 applicants this year which seems ridiculous to me. Hope some people reject their offers so I can be considered but who knows. :/

Nope – nothing to stress about! I didn't get anything today either and I'm also 'Invited' on ACORN. Just the post office being flaky ^_^...I've never seen an invite not result in an acceptance.

AND CONGRATULATIONS!! Can't wait to be classmates!

9 minutes ago, mswworrier said:

I haven’t gotten my letter yet! Should I be worried? Said I was invited on Acorn

Edited by cat_not_kitty

8 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

I'm so sorry that you didn't get the news you were hoping for today, Erin :( – but, as many others have said, being waitlisted is a huge achievement, especially when you're applying straight from undergrad. I have to say, your application is incredible and very well-rounded – I think you have an excellent chance of making it in off the waitlist. Obviously, proceed with cautious optimism to protect your heart, but it's NOT over.

Moreover, I'll say this: if this year isn't the year, I don't think you necessarily need to be looking into college programs at this point. Your application is SERIOUSLY solid – I really believe that if you bulk up your social service experience (via paid or volunteer work – it doesn't matter), you'll be a shoe-in. I read that you've applied for victim services aide and youth probation assistant positions – those have competencies that are 100% applicable to social work, as long as you contextalise them in your statement. I think you'd see equal or better results from spending all the hours you'd dedicate to a post-grad diploma/certificate to volunteering in positions that include direct work with clients (e.g., Hospice Toronto, Philip Aziz Centre for Hospice Care, Toronto Distress Centre, Victim Services Toronto, Community Living, etc.), regardless of the paid work you end up securing. Only my opinion, of course, but though I'd share it to give you more to chew on.

Hope you have something special planned this weekend for your birthday, to get your mind off of this for now!

I really do appreciate your support and encouragement @cat_not_kitty and I will maintain hope that I will get off the waitlist, but I will definitely take your advice regarding gaining more work experience within the field. I think it is important to add more hours to my resume as it seems like this may be one of the reasons I was not accepted right off the bat. I will look into some positions that are more permanent, as the ones that I have already applied to are temporary summer positions, which are great, but as it says, temporary. Truthfully I would rather not have to take more schooling, but if I do decide to go that route, I plan to find a program with a field work practicum/placement so I can gain experience that way.

When I applied for the MSW, my thesis wasn't as solidified as it is now, and I have garnered amazing results with the focus group I conducted with social workers. As such, I will have more to discuss on next year's application as it pertains to the results of my thesis, if I don't get taken off the waitlist this year. Thanks for recommending all of these organizations too, I definitely have a lot of research to do. :) You have been so amazing with everyone on this forum, and you have definitely made me feel even more confident in my abilities. You are going to make an exceptional social worker, and I am very happy to hear you got accepted! Maybe we will cross paths in September, if I get off the waitlist, or next year in Fall 2019. ;) 

We're going out for dinner on Easter Sunday, so I am ready to have a delicious medium rare steak to celebrate 22 years :D 

3 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

I would take the SSW program. Ontario has changed their criteria for working in mental health and social services and in 2 years everyone working in the field will have to belong to a professional organization so it would beneficial to take the SSW diploma.  

I wrote the SWAT for McMaster and in all honesty found it much more difficult than my masters application for Laurier. I honestly do not feel very confident about it at all and the post-degree BSW was my back-up plan. :(

I know nothing about how they rank that test but I assume that it would be that they are looking for responses that represent the praxis of the program. The only thing I know is that it is ranked 50% academic and 50% SWAT. I don’t think they even take lived/volunteer/work experience into consideration which is pretty disappointing for me but for you this may be a huge advantage if you are lacking in that area. :) 

I also think that BSW, MSW, SSW programs have seen a huge increase in applicants this year because of the new legislation being implemented in Ontario. People working in the field who are not ‘grandfathered’ in have 2 years to get the schooling they need in order to have that professional designation which I believe makes all of the programs that much more competitive.

Good luck with the SWAT results. Do you know when they are supposed to send out acceptances? 

Hello! Wait what? What exactly do we have to do for this designation? 2 years from now lets say one is done their MSW, they'll have to write a test to be designated? I'm a bit confused- would you be able to elaborate if that is okay?

I wrote the lakehead admissions test which was soooooo much better than the mcmaster SWAT...I wrote it on wed from 3-6 pm and man, those 6 hours were NOT enough. I had a breakdown because I just didn't know how to write it especially the word count.....they were so tough- especially how you would advise each party....definitely didn't get into mac lol. couldnt finish the last question either

12 hours ago, Emactastic said:

I am, someone posted in response to me that people have heard back as late as end of July in past years about getting off the wait list. I'm trying to be optimistic about getting in. Its hard to try and plan for myself and my family next year not knowing, but I've been going from contract to contract at my current job so the uncertainty is nothing new.

Are you still waiting as well? did you apply anywhere else?

I am waiting as well. Really struggling in the job market explaining possibility of not returning in September, as I am currently looking for a job. 

I applied to Laurier too and was declined. Did you apply anywhere else?

The planning part is so hard!! 

Hello! Also look into lakehead's post degree HBSW- its 1 year and you can do it either in thunderbay or orillia but if you go to thunderbay, you can do your practicum in toronto- it's a general social work degree so you focus on various practices! They look at your last 10 full time credits, ask for 2 references (one professional or voluntary and one academic) and you do an online social work test! it's around 3 hours and tbh not that bad- DEFINITELY NOT LIKE MCMASTER'S SWAT. feeel free to message me if you're interested :)

8 hours ago, Nervousme said:

Thank you all so much for this very useful information! I will definitely look more into it once I finish my undergrad and accept that I won't be going to school next year...

@Emactastic Thanks so much for the encouragement! I am interested in clinical social work, specifically working in healthcare as my degree is in health. I am not sure if you know of any certificates and/or jobs that I can apply for that relate to that? 

46 minutes ago, karisma said:

Hello! Wait what? What exactly do we have to do for this designation? 2 years from now lets say one is done their MSW, they'll have to write a test to be designated? I'm a bit confused- would you be able to elaborate if that is okay?

I wrote the lakehead admissions test which was soooooo much better than the mcmaster SWAT...I wrote it on wed from 3-6 pm and man, those 6 hours were NOT enough. I had a breakdown because I just didn't know how to write it especially the word count.....they were so tough- especially how you would advise each party....definitely didn't get into mac lol. couldnt finish the last question either

If you get an MSW or BSW you will register with the college of Social Workers and be just fine. No need to worry. Yes, the SWAT test was crazy. Too many words to be honest. I found that I was able to answer most questions under the requested word count and then felt the need to “fill” in order to meet the minimum. It took me 5 hours to complete and at that point I was finished mentally and didn’t even bother proof reading. Submit was all I did. Oh, and then proceeded to guzzle a bottle of wine. It was HARD!!!! I feel your pain. ?

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to the 2-year MSW program at the University of Toronto (so far I have only been notified via ACORN). Good news - I will NOT be accepting this offer - so someone on the waitlist will get my place! I applied last year for this program, and was waitlisted (and ultimately rejected). So, I know how it feels! I got a better offer (for what I want to do). I'll be doing my Masters of Counselling/Psychotherapy at OISE/University of Toronto.

Good luck to everyone! Be hopeful and always try again if it doesn't work out this year.  

:)

I am so happy to hear about you wonderful people getting accepted into programs, especially my fellow applicants to UofT's MSW program. My ACORN status hasn't changed from being "Financially Cancelled" since graduating 2 years ago. I haven't gotten my letter in the mail, but I am preparing myself for the worst case scenario (not getting into UofT).

If I am so lucky to get into my alternate choice MSW program (Laurier), I'm wondering if anyone here can comment on the difficulty of securing a Toronto based placement, typically one that takes UofT students. I currently work at CAMH, and have been part of a groundbreaking consultation mental health service, and have the support of a lot of Social Workers there. In addition, I would opt for the thesis route if I ended up at Laurier, and base it on research I've been working on at CAMH.

9 hours ago, Corrina_22 said:

Does anyone know from personal experience, or from other members of this blog in the past, if the invited status on acorn was not congruent with their letter in the mail? I'm getting nervous to see the letter, but I got the invited on acorn

I feel the same way... I emailed angela from admissions asking this same question and she confirmed that the invited registration status on accorn means an offer of admission. Saying

An INVITE status does mean an offer of admission.  Congratulations!

Official offer packages are being mailed out today, and will outline any conditions of admission.

I'm STILL some how skeptical. I need the official letter in my hands to believe it haha 

Edited by Casper13

24 minutes ago, Casper13 said:

I feel the same way... I emailed angela from admissions asking this same question and she confirmed that the invited registration status on accorn means an offer of admission. Saying

An INVITE status does mean an offer of admission.  Congratulations!

Official offer packages are being mailed out today, and will outline any conditions of admission.

I'm STILL some how skeptical. I need the official letter in my hands to believe it haha 

She said the same exact thing to me too! We shall be fine my friends :) so happy to finally meet my tribe <3 

1 hour ago, ciders_only said:

I am so happy to hear about you wonderful people getting accepted into programs, especially my fellow applicants to UofT's MSW program. My ACORN status hasn't changed from being "Financially Cancelled" since graduating 2 years ago. I haven't gotten my letter in the mail, but I am preparing myself for the worst case scenario (not getting into UofT).

If I am so lucky to get into my alternate choice MSW program (Laurier), I'm wondering if anyone here can comment on the difficulty of securing a Toronto based placement, typically one that takes UofT students. I currently work at CAMH, and have been part of a groundbreaking consultation mental health service, and have the support of a lot of Social Workers there. In addition, I would opt for the thesis route if I ended up at Laurier, and base it on research I've been working on at CAMH.

Hi there! Congratulations :) I'm so happy to hear you got into Laurier- that is phenomenal!! I hear its very clinical (more than uoft) but you learn alot and the faculty is spectacular :) One of my mentors really wanted to go there for her first choice but didnt get in so she went to uoft for her msw. Prior to applying, I talked to a few people who went to laurier for their MSW and they said they had no issue getting a placement in Toronto! After Uoft, it is typically laurier who get options for placement opps as well, given its remarkable research and theory reputation. A few got placements in Peel, some in hamilton, the university of waterloo as clinicians but it definitely doesnt influence your status after graduation! its like a golden stamp on your resume and education as well

2 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

If you get an MSW or BSW you will register with the college of Social Workers and be just fine. No need to worry. Yes, the SWAT test was crazy. Too many words to be honest. I found that I was able to answer most questions under the requested word count and then felt the need to “fill” in order to meet the minimum. It took me 5 hours to complete and at that point I was finished mentally and didn’t even bother proof reading. Submit was all I did. Oh, and then proceeded to guzzle a bottle of wine. It was HARD!!!! I feel your pain. ?

Oh okay! thank goodness LOL. i got worried. what even is proof reading in timed exams LOL. i hope that bottle of wine helped haha

10 hours ago, meerkitty said:

Hey All!

I just wanted to chime in the conversation. Long time lurker. I also got accepted earlier this week (I have the 'Invited' on my Acorn account). My last name starts with 'A'. I was previously a student at UofT. I did really badly due to health and mental health issues. My GPA was around 2.4. I did do really well in the research courses, which I know they take into consideration. I decided to do a certificate program at York and did extremely well (8/9 GPA). I applied to UofT Sept 2017, and was put on the waitlist. I was hesitant applying for 2018. I have a lot of volunteer experience in the social services field. I showed a lot of vulnerability in my essay, and showed how I overcame it.

I might sound like a broken record, but don't give up! Don't take rejection as a reflection of your self worth. Work on yourself first. Find inner happiness and strength. It took a while to learn that. I am in a much better place now because I learned the proper tools for self care.

My therapist mentioned to me that they are pretty big on mental health (She has MSW from UofT). Also advised me to get volunteer experience where they train you in counselling (eg. Distress Centre).

image.png.25db11b63fcee28acef451edc6cd0c50.png

you definitely do not sound like a broken record! more like an inspiration- especially for other msw students and applicants who also have mental health and health issues. I personally, have both as well and knowing that you're coming into the program with such immense empathy and compassion gives me hope in the future of social workers but also how wonderful it would be to have discussions with you in class! I'm happy you found the tools of self care which work for you :) knowing how to cope but also what works for you is definitely key! healing is a process but you made a choice to make it happen and I'm so happy to hear that but also how self-aware you are. Definitely will be an asset during your time at uoft. Funny thing is, even my therapists were MSWs from uoft! how impactful they are eh-really makes you work even more passionately towards your goal. So happy to be meeting you this coming fall! 

3 hours ago, karisma said:

Hello! Also look into lakehead's post degree HBSW- its 1 year and you can do it either in thunderbay or orillia but if you go to thunderbay, you can do your practicum in toronto- it's a general social work degree so you focus on various practices! They look at your last 10 full time credits, ask for 2 references (one professional or voluntary and one academic) and you do an online social work test! it's around 3 hours and tbh not that bad- DEFINITELY NOT LIKE MCMASTER'S SWAT. feeel free to message me if you're interested :)

Hello! I just got the news yesterday that I was accepted into Lakehead's HBSW in Thunder Bay! Can you offer me any more information on the program? Were you in Thunder Bay or Orillia? I'm looking to find other people who have been accepted so we could start to look at possible housing arrangements! I am so excited!! 

13 hours ago, _Nomad_ said:

Sorry to hear that. Did you apply to other schools? 

Last year I got waitlisted in UofT and didn't get in. It's unpleasant but as my dad always says - perhaps it will open you doors to something even better. 

Yea I got rejected from U windsor and York and my acorn does not say invited for Uoft soo... yea