Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

11 hours ago, dem13 said:

Wow thats soon!  Good luck; hope you have good news to tell us all in a couple weeks! :)  My grades are my biggest downfall as well.  I started out university back in '99 as a Computer Science major. lol.  That went downhill quickly and the grades I got in my second year of uni totally messed with my GPA.  I've done a couple courses over the past few years and got 80%+ in those, but it still doesn't bring my average up much.  Do you know what they mean by a half-credit?  The website says they want a B average in your last 5 full-credit courses or 10 half-credit courses.  When I was in university, a course was a course...3 credit hours I believe. lol. I also have my LPN program where my overall average is like 85% but I don't think they'll even look at those grades because they're from a community college.

5 full-credit courses will typically be 10 courses. 

Under this system, a 4-year degree requires 20 credits. So 5 credits will be 25% of the courses required for a 4 year degree. 

Another way to look at is is that a 0.5 credit course has around 3 contact hours per week over a term of 4 months. A 1 credit course has around 3 contact hours per week over 2 terms (8 months). 

1 hour ago, SwagMaster said:

5 full-credit courses will typically be 10 courses. 

Under this system, a 4-year degree requires 20 credits. So 5 credits will be 25% of the courses required for a 4 year degree. 

Another way to look at is is that a 0.5 credit course has around 3 contact hours per week over a term of 4 months. A 1 credit course has around 3 contact hours per week over 2 terms (8 months). 

Thanks for clarifying this. My degree was 120 credits.when broken down to 25% it's the last 10 courses. I self-declared my GPA to be way lower that it actually is. I thought it was based on my last 5 courses.  I hope they catch that or i might have ruined my chances  ?

11 hours ago, Noelle1 said:

Thanks for clarifying this. My degree was 120 credits.when broken down to 25% it's the last 10 courses. I self-declared my GPA to be way lower that it actually is. I thought it was based on my last 5 courses.  I hope they catch that or i might have ruined my chances  ?

Could you email them to let them know? 

38 minutes ago, lastsupper said:

Any word yet on the uoft 2year waitlist?

I got this reply from Wilfrid a few minutes ago:

Thank you for your interest in our MA program, co-op stream.  Unfortunately we were unable to offer you space in this program but the Graduate Committee would be interested in considering your application for the MA program in the regular stream, without co-op.

Would you be agreeable to having your application considered for the MA in Comm. Studies, regular stream or would you rather we close your application for the co-op stream?

7 hours ago, Chiopia said:

I got this reply from Wilfrid a few minutes ago:

Thank you for your interest in our MA program, co-op stream.  Unfortunately we were unable to offer you space in this program but the Graduate Committee would be interested in considering your application for the MA program in the regular stream, without co-op.

Would you be agreeable to having your application considered for the MA in Comm. Studies, regular stream or would you rather we close your application for the co-op stream?

Heads up - this is the thread specifically for MSW programs! Congrats, but this isn't really related to this thread specifically. :)

4 hours ago, magfish said:

Heads up - this is the thread specifically for MSW programs! Congrats, but this isn't really related to this thread specifically. :)

Sincere apologies. I couldn't find any on MA Communications but desperately needed a forum to discuss my anxiety. I will leave now. Thanks

Edited by Chiopia

Hi everyone...new to this forum. I applied to four full-time 2 year msw programs and got rejected by all of them :( 

I'm currently enrolled in UWO's Masters of Professional Education program in the field of teaching students with exceptionalities, this program starts September 2018.

I have only just discovered Laurier's online part-time msw and applied for the January 2019 start date, but I have a few questions. What did it mean when they asked for an overall average when applying, did they want my average for all 4 years of undergrad? just my last year? last 2 years??

Also, is it absolutely mandatory to have 1 academic and 2 professional references, or could I have 2 academic and 1 professional? 

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer these questions! And best of luck to everyone else who applied!

2 hours ago, mlb96 said:

Hi everyone...new to this forum. I applied to four full-time 2 year msw programs and got rejected by all of them :( 

I'm currently enrolled in UWO's Masters of Professional Education program in the field of teaching students with exceptionalities, this program starts September 2018.

I have only just discovered Laurier's online part-time msw and applied for the January 2019 start date, but I have a few questions. What did it mean when they asked for an overall average when applying, did they want my average for all 4 years of undergrad? just my last year? last 2 years??

Also, is it absolutely mandatory to have 1 academic and 2 professional references, or could I have 2 academic and 1 professional? 

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer these questions! And best of luck to everyone else who applied!

Your average is based on your last full 5 credits (i think last 10 courses) of your degree. As for references i would ask an advisor about this. I had 3 professional references as i have been out of University for 8 years and un thr work force. They may accept that, but i would recommend asking before you apply so you don't waste your time. Good luck!!!

19 hours ago, mlb96 said:

I spoke with someone at the school, and it also says on the website that if you've been out of school for a while, it's fine to just have 3 professional references.  That's what I'm doing.  I've done a couple online courses over the past year, but had minimal contact with the teachers so they wouldn't know me well enough to give a reference.

Does anyone know, for Laurier's MSW application, there is a "Summary of Experience in Human Services" form that needs to be filled out. Do you just fill out the info requested in the table?  Or are you supposed to provide details of your job and what you did as well?  Or will the resume be sufficient in regards to the details of the job?  There isn't much of an explanation on the website.  

1 hour ago, dem13 said:

Does anyone know, for Laurier's MSW application, there is a "Summary of Experience in Human Services" form that needs to be filled out. Do you just fill out the info requested in the table?  Or are you supposed to provide details of your job and what you did as well?  Or will the resume be sufficient in regards to the details of the job?  There isn't much of an explanation on the website.  

I was wondering the same thing. Also, for the statement of intent/personal statement, did you respond to the questions in the grey box right beneath, or did you answer them on a separate page/their own page?

11 minutes ago, mlb96 said:

I was wondering the same thing. Also, for the statement of intent/personal statement, did you respond to the questions in the grey box right beneath, or did you answer them on a separate page/their own page?

I believe you're supposed to fill everything out in the grey box underneath.  I'm going to type it up in word so I can check spelling errors and stuff, and then copy and paste it back into the grey box.  It sounds as though they want all the files to be uploaded as .pdf files as well, so I'm going to convert everything to .pdf when I'm done filling it all out.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:50 PM, VictoriaT said:

Anyone currently enrolled in the online MSW at Laurier have any thoughts on what its like? looking to apply for Jan 2019 start. 

In it now and love it! Really well laid out and running smoothly for a first timeprogram. Lots of work though  lol

2 hours ago, skd05 said:

In it now and love it! Really well laid out and running smoothly for a first timeprogram. Lots of work though  lol

Just a question, throughout the 2.5 years of the program, do you get any breaks at all?  Or is it straight going for that whole time?

12 minutes ago, Noelle1 said:

Has anyone heard back from Laurier for September online? 

Hey Noelle, do you mind if I ask a question about the personal statement for Laurier?  I'm working on mine right now for January admission.  Did you answer all three questions separately, or did you write it all as one big essay?  I'm kind of confused as to what kind of format they want it in. Thanks! :)  Hope you hear something soon!!

13 minutes ago, dem13 said:

Hey Noelle, do you mind if I ask a question about the personal statement for Laurier?  I'm working on mine right now for January admission.  Did you answer all three questions separately, or did you write it all as one big essay?  I'm kind of confused as to what kind of format they want it in. Thanks! :)  Hope you hear something soon!!

I answered mine in essay format. You have the option of essay format or answering them separately. It is more difficult to write an essay that flows, while answering the questions. I tried to connect everything best i could. The feedback i recieved from people editing my essay was answering the questions would be too informal. It's entirely up to you and what you feel is best. I also would have put headers above every question, which would have taken up too many words. I just made it under 1000.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:08 AM, dem13 said:

Just a question, throughout the 2.5 years of the program, do you get any breaks at all?  Or is it straight going for that whole time?

I'm in program too.  It's straight through - you take classes all three semesters of the year (spring/winter/fall) until you graduate.  However, you do have breaks - there is a reading week in both fall (the week after thanksgiving), winter (the week following family day), and a break over Christmas.  The classes don't fill the entire 4 months of the summer, and there's a few weeks off then too. 

9 hours ago, dem13 said:

Hi dem13, def write it as one big essay rather than separate questions. I was told my personal statement was really strong by the prof who wrote my reference for me (he wanted my whole application before writing it) and I got into the Laurier 2 year MSW for the fall. If you are struggling a bit (I know I def did the first year I applied!!!) feel free to send me a private message and I can try to help. 

32 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

Hi dem13, def write it as one big essay rather than separate questions. I was told my personal statement was really strong by the prof who wrote my reference for me (he wanted my whole application before writing it) and I got into the Laurier 2 year MSW for the fall. If you are struggling a bit (I know I def did the first year I applied!!!) feel free to send me a private message and I can try to help. 

Thanks for the offer, and the info!  Coincidentally, someone from the university called me today when I was in the middle of writing my personal statement. lol.  I asked her and she said it could be done either way.  But said that most people just write it as one big essay, so thats what I did.  I just found it kind of hard to make it flow properly.  But it's done and sent in now.  Now comes the wait... ughhh.