MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On 1/31/2018 at 2:39 AM, addik said:

Oh man! Yeah, I can definitely feel you there. As for my portfolio, I don't feel 100% confident about it because I never had the best equipment, so some of my work may come out technically rough though I do the best with what I have. So, I am pretty much at the mercy of Concordia. 

Good luck on your other schools! I only applied for Concordia for now because I was honestly thinking of taking my MFA just in 2019, but their strange requirements for international students (they told me I might need an MA before I get considered for an MFA, just because my country's school system only puts us through 14 years? I did 16 years of schooling though) pushed me to send an application anyway and see if I have a shot at Concordia. If I don't, I'll start applying at UdeM and UQAM (since I really want to be in Montreal), but I won't be applying for an MFA in those schools. 

PS: I heard Concordia can be slow in responding to applications. So... yeah, good luck to us on the wait!

Just got my first rejection from UW Madison :') That was basically my top pick so what a way to end the week I guess. Waiting on feedback from them on why I was rejected in case everywhere else follows suit and I have to wait another year to reapply places. 

That's kind of a super weird system? Because 16 years would imply at least level with a Bachelor's - I don't see why they wouldn't be alright with that. I hope you'll be able to get in on the education background you have right now!

I was doing some anxious research on this forum as to when people generally heard back and it's looking like Concordia will be one of the last ones. It's my second pick, though, so crossing my fingers I at least get in here :( Good luck to us both for sure!!

On January 31, 2018 at 12:38 PM, OldMFA said:

Rutgers still says no decision, did your application update? 

You are right, I guess I am starting to see things. Sorry about the false alarm. Better get of the coffee and switch to tea.

Edited by IrisR

32 minutes ago, Padfoot said:

Wow that’s great! All the best! :D do these periods depend on when you applied? I finished applying 10 days ago around the 20th. Around what time did you apply? Just tryig to figure their timeline.

Thank you so much ! Since you applied 10 days ago you should hear back pretty soon. Quoted from their site: "

Submission date for applications to receive an interview date by 28 March 2018: 31 January 2018". 

I'm sure I finished my application during the first week of January. 

On January 21, 2018 at 5:49 PM, OldMFA said:

I also got the Tyler interview e-mail. Will you be going on the 24th? I did not apply to Tyler since I could never get in touch with anyone in the grad painting department. I tried for quite a long time. Actually for the last 2 grad application seasons. It does not reflect well on the program. At the national portfolio review I was able to talk to the sculpture department and they did give me useful information. 

Long time reader first time caller here. Thought I'd finally say hi because, reading last years forum, it felt so robust and that was probably because everyone was so present, I actually found myself rooting for some of the members! 

This year I applied to: Yale, RISD, Hunter

Totally in agonizing suspense for tomorrow's Yale decision!

3 hours ago, toomuchcoffee said:

I feel like I'm overly anxious at work and not saying why and people are looking at me crazy. Best of luck to everybody on this forum! Hope to meet yall in real life real soon.

I am much the same. I applied last year and this is my second round. I am keeping myself busy with painting and organizing my online materials. I even bought a new domain and will start working on my fine art website. I have trouble concentrating on reading so which is my favored escape. Might have to break out a bottle of wine or visit lots of galleries and get my wine and networking that way lol. Being around likeminded people should help.

54 minutes ago, hmlavoy said:

Just got my first rejection from UW Madison :') That was basically my top pick so what a way to end the week I guess. Waiting on feedback from them on why I was rejected in case everywhere else follows suit and I have to wait another year to reapply places. 

That's kind of a super weird system? Because 16 years would imply at least level with a Bachelor's - I don't see why they wouldn't be alright with that. I hope you'll be able to get in on the education background you have right now!

I was doing some anxious research on this forum as to when people generally heard back and it's looking like Concordia will be one of the last ones. It's my second pick, though, so crossing my fingers I at least get in here :( Good luck to us both for sure!!

What major were you applying for at UW Madison? I'm assuming an MFA but any specifics? Like photography or printmaking? I know last year I was put in their printmaking department but I think they are department specific when they send out notifications. I'm getting kind of nervous knowing the responses are being sent out now and I haven't received anything yet.

hi! anyone have insight or past experience as to how much new work is expected from you in interviews? (i'm thinking about SAIC interview in particular, and then in general going forward...)

I submitted new work through late december.. so I'm getting worried that I don't have a lot to show since then. thank you! 

good luck!!

just got an on-campus interview mail from SAIC mfa in studio arch and interior arch

although I'm a us citizen, I live outside the country, so I'm also considering the skype interview ,, since the costs are too expensive,,

In the mail, they say no effect on the final decision whether i visit, or chose the skype interview,

but I'm worried if I can get a better scholarship through on-campus interview.

can't decide!!  can anyone please say something,,anything,,, regarding my issue..?

Edited by rpcr

17 minutes ago, apollonia666 said:

hi! anyone have insight or past experience as to how much new work is expected from you in interviews? (i'm thinking about SAIC interview in particular, and then in general going forward...)

I submitted new work through late december.. so I'm getting worried that I don't have a lot to show since then. thank you! 

good luck!!

Congratulations on your interview! I also got an interview from SAIC, and my professor suggested me to bring some actual works no matter they are in your portfolio or not, even some drawings are fine. So I guess it is fine to bring something already in your portfolio. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Rennnnn said:

Congratulations on your interview! I also got an interview from SAIC, and my professor suggested me to bring some actual works no matter they are in your portfolio or not, even some drawings are fine. So I guess it is fine to bring something already in your portfolio. Good luck!

thanks for the info! good luck and congrats to you too :D

4 hours ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

Anyone hear from SAIC sculpture? Asking on behalf of a friend of mine. 

I applied to SAIC sculpture and I haven't heard anything. Got a couple hits from Chicago on my website on January 30th, but no news. 

6 hours ago, Roninknows said:

Thank you so much ! Since you applied 10 days ago you should hear back pretty soon. Quoted from their site: "

Submission date for applications to receive an interview date by 28 March 2018: 31 January 2018". 

I'm sure I finished my application during the first week of January. 

Ah, okay! 

22 hours ago, marlonk said:

New to the forums as I just found them this evening...

Had a three year plan/goal to apply to a bunch of schools this year, but ended up swimming in work, then not enough money, then holidays, then one of my main references bailed, yada yada...

So I only managed UCLA, which in turn became my top pick. Applied for Sculpture with drawing heavy portfolio. Ended up rushing everything because I was installing a big (for me) show in Toronto, and submitted supplemental app with 5 minutes to spare .5a72b706660b2_ScreenShot2018-02-01at1_45_18AM.png.e31d7fb2029b4e97c4bcc6a772713dca.png 

(deadline was 5 my time). Worst stress time of my life.

God at this point im just ranting.

I have a friend at UCLA and she told me for photo she got interview request last week of Jan. In my growing paranoia and obsession I found this wonderful place!!

So, any word on UCLA anyone?

Probably not a healthy contest but I think I win this one. 

I submitted my app to RISD with 40 seconds to spare. If my credit card got declined I would've got boned lol. 

18 hours ago, TheBarnOwl said:

Long time reader first time caller here. Thought I'd finally say hi because, reading last years forum, it felt so robust and that was probably because everyone was so present, I actually found myself rooting for some of the members! 

This year I applied to: Yale, RISD, Hunter

Totally in agonizing suspense for tomorrow's Yale decision!

oh noo, where did you get your information ?