MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

i interviewed at two departments at saic, and both seemed pretty long. Maybe i rambled too much but i think one was 25 min another 30 min?? 

This includes my questions and their answers of course. 

What were your impressions? I felt good about one and so-so about the other

1 hour ago, Makerak said:

i interviewed at two departments at saic, and both seemed pretty long. Maybe i rambled too much but i think one was 25 min another 30 min?? 

This includes my questions and their answers of course. 

What were your impressions? I felt good about one and so-so about the other

So so on my end. Even though I prepared they asked very specific questions regarding my art practice. 

On 2/15/2018 at 10:25 PM, booksandprints said:

I was told by the Grad Admissions advisor at UGA that people would find out the first week of March! 

Oh thank goodness, I have been checking my email for UGA every day. Did you get an interview? What department did you apply to? Painting, sculpture, etc?

4 hours ago, Brandy424 said:

Oh thank goodness, I have been checking my email for UGA every day. Did you get an interview? What department did you apply to? Painting, sculpture, etc?

As far as I know, nobody has gotten an interview or other notification. And UGA no longer has split discipline MFA programs, it’s just an interdisciplinary studio art mfa. So all applicants are applying to the same program there. 

11 minutes ago, rizbeff said:

Have a poor read on the SAIC Skype interview today, felt like it went well initially and now I'm running it over and over in my head, 25 minutes felt very very fast. 

Same, 30 minutes literally flew by. Wish they had more time to talk. Also they said they would email us to let us know who would be interviewing us the day of and nothing was sent. Kind of miffed about that. My interviewers didn’t even introduce themselves by name to me... 

Edited by Mr.PoopyButtHole

7 hours ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

So so on my end. Even though I prepared they asked very specific questions regarding my art practice. 

Yeah I got hung up on a couple of their questions, specifically cultural influences and where my work is in context of art movements etc. or whatever. Normal questions that I was prepared for, they just asked the first one in a really labyrinthine way where they listed countless examples of cultural and artistic areas and it kind of made my head spin and go blank? If they had started with ‘film and video’ influences I would’ve been fine and able to expand from there! Instead I babbled, but one of the interviewers eventually brought it around to music which I was able to link in a sense-making way. They seemed well enough into me by the end so I feel semi-ok about it. Definitely feel more ready for my CalArts interview.

Sorry I wasn’t able to meet up with anyone! My flight drama thursday threw everything off and I had to catch up on some remote work yesterday  ?

2 hours ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

Same, 30 minutes literally flew by. Wish they had more time to talk. Also they said they would email us to let us know who would be interviewing us the day of and nothing was sent. Kind of miffed about that. My interviewers didn’t even introduce themselves by name to me... 

hmm I got my email about this on monday from Jeff Armstrong, not sure if he’s a film program guy or a general grad program guy though

19 hours ago, Brandy424 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Indiana (Bloomington) or UGA? Or asked for interviews?

I applied to UGA for painting and interviewed two weeks ago via Skype and have gotten accepted. They emailed me last week. Sorry if this is bad news :/ 

Edited by magglywaggly

I had an interesting interview with Florida State today. The guy interviewing my was pretty dry. He did not appear to like Tallahassee much . It was a decent interview. But, I think I am in they are making up their minds next week about admissions. So we will see. :)

@icw

Had interview for FSU last night  with Mark. Very nice guy. Spoke highly of my work(was surprised to hear a solid compliment in an interview), very casual convo. Similar backgrounds. Good vibes/positive thoughts. Hope it went well for you! Said should hear by Mon or Tues this week.  ?

8 hours ago, sunflowerpower said:

@icw

Had interview for FSU last night  with Mark. Very nice guy. Spoke highly of my work(was surprised to hear a solid compliment in an interview), very casual convo. Similar backgrounds. Good vibes/positive thoughts. Hope it went well for you! Said should hear by Mon or Tues this week.  ?

yeah it was a good interview. Pretty funny guy- he knew some people at my former school.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:08 PM, theway said:

I am a BU senior painter, I asked my professor and he told me that all the interview emails have already sent out, if u have not heard anything, probably have already been rejected. I am really sorry!!

I have an interview with BU for painting-- do you have any tips or suggestions? This is my first time applying to grad school, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I just want to prepare as much as possible! 

Edited by cme000

57 minutes ago, cklos said:

Good or bad idea to email a 'thank you' note to your interviewers? Thoughts?

Good idea to send a short, friendly thank you email after any interview (job, university, otherwise). 

2 hours ago, cme000 said:

I have an interview with BU for painting-- do you have any tips or suggestions? This is my first time applying to grad school, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I just want to prepare as much as possible! 

If I am not wrong, I think ur interviewer will be Jaya Howey and Marc Schepens, both of them are pretty cool, so I don't think u need to be nervous about it, I think u should just be urself, and everything will be cool.

22 hours ago, magglywaggly said:

I applied to UGA for painting and interviewed two weeks ago via Skype and have gotten accepted. They emailed me last week. Sorry if this is bad news :/ 

That's great, congrats! I interviewed wed. 9th (not for panting) but haven't heard back :(. Was it a professor who emailed you or the graduate coordinator? Thanks for the info btw!