Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

30 minutes ago, nicokren said:

Yes there is! It is killing me seeing people getting interviews already ahhh!

No need to freak out. Most people who are getting offers applied for the upcoming semester which means they applied back in June/July 2017 for February 2018 admission. Unless you also are expecting to start your program in February 2018, I would not be worried yet. Most of us here just submitted applications which means interviews will be held in late-January or early-February (mostly in February though).

Edited by Tigla

4 minutes ago, LolJustAdmitMe said:

I meant on the main ‘results’ page when you first get on “TheGradCafe”. I’m already seeing people getting interviews and acceptances for their PhD(tear face)

Ah! As in not a forum. I hadn't been to the results page yet. Still trying to figure out gradcafe, haha. 

19 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

When were you guys' deadlines? My earliest one was last Friday, so I'm a bit surprised that people are already getting interviews in other programs.

Mine was Friday as well. I'm taking @Tigla's advice and not freaking out (too much) yet; forums I've read from previous years suggest people applying for Fall cycles don't generally hear back about interviews until late December/early January at the earliest. For a lot of the universities I applied to, interview dates are in February.

24 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

When were you guys' deadlines? My earliest one was last Friday, so I'm a bit surprised that people are already getting interviews in other programs.

SAME. Only two schools of the 8 I applied to posted that they would be notifying applicants by the 15th (of Dec) of interview invites. The other schools seem to notify in late January. The early notifying schools are what’s driving me crazy bc I keep thinking “...any day now but if December 15th passes and I’ve got no invite then....”

Hello everyone! Throwing my anxiety into the mix: I'm only applying to a few Masters programs--two applications are in for linguistics programs in Ireland, and I'm working on one more for a program in Barcelona. They say that I should be hearing back within a month or so of applying, which is drawing near for the Ireland programs. I'm freaking out hard, especially since I'm not applying to very many places.

I am applying for PhD at West Virginia University (Forensic Science), University of Central Florida (Chemistry with focus on Forensic Science), University of Florida (Chemistry), Florida International University (Chemistry with focus in Forensic Science), University at Albany (Chemistry with fkcus in Forensic Science).

2 years research experience, 3.5 years work experience in forensic science, 3.98 master's gpa, 155/141/4.0 (v/q/a). 

I am worried about my quantitative being so low. Do you think that will count against me?

On 11/17/2017 at 4:28 PM, MegCalh7606 said:

Hi there! 

I applied just recently (2 weeks ago) and they wrote me back saying that it would take 4-6 weeks for their decision. I've been so impatient and I'm so anxious to see what is going to happen! Eek! lol 

I'm applying to University of Cincinnati's BCBA program. 

What about you?

I am applying for PhD at West Virginia University (Forensic Science), University of Central Florida (Chemistry with focus on Forensic Science), University of Florida (Chemistry), Florida International University (Chemistry with focus in Forensic Science), University at Albany (Chemistry with fkcus in Forensic Science).

2 years research experience, 3.5 years work experience in forensic science, 3.98 master's gpa, 155/141/4.0 (v/q/a). 

I am worried about my quantitative being so low. Do you think that will count against me?

I'm not freaking out yet luckily. I mean.. at this point I think no news is good news as reviews have just started :) Plus things can take long. We'll see, we'll wait. In the mean time I'll just listen to Xmas music and finish my last two apps

On 11/26/2017 at 8:34 AM, basketballfrost said:

Hi guys, anyone here appling for Ohio state university? I am aplying for the Neuroscience program at OSU. And extremelly anxious about everything.

I am! though I'm applying to psychology.

Committee reviews are this week for me. I’ve even got my postal service set up to show me what’s in the mail for the day before I get home. It’s a freak out kind of week!

On 04/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, kristincas said:

I'm applying to clinical psycho programs for the second time. While my CV has grown substantially and I feel like I have a strong application, I am constantly questioning EVERYTHING and know how much of a crap shoot this process is. At this point, I've confirmed that all of my applications are complete and are under review, but it's hard to not obsess. I'm trying to frame this all as being fatalistic  to reduce my anxiety, but it's really hard to not think about every application detail and the competition constantly.     >.<

I know the feels! This is the second time I am applying as well! Worked a lot harder to improve my CV, but I am constantly worried about my grades. Let's see how it goes this time!! Hopw we will be able to cope with anxiety until then!

On 11/25/2017 at 7:34 PM, basketballfrost said:

Hi guys, anyone here appling for Ohio state university? I am aplying for the Neuroscience program at OSU. And extremelly anxious about everything.

I am! I applied to the behavioral neuroscience track of the psychology PhD program. I'm anxious too :wacko:  who did you apply to work with?

I submitted all of my applications around 11/17, and I've begun to get portal access, but still haven't even gotten confirmation from a few schools. I have zero clue what to expect and I'm pretty sick to my stomach over it all! 

Do any of you guys begin working on your potential next step in exhaustive detail, or am I the Lone Freak? I started a Dropbox Paper project with school data and city move research, and have been using that to keep myself from going insane. Or, I may be making myself more crazy...? :huh:

10 hours ago, BanjoBeulah said:

Do any of you guys begin working on your potential next step in exhaustive detail, or am I the Lone Freak? I started a Dropbox Paper project with school data and city move research, and have been using that to keep myself from going insane. Or, I may be making myself more crazy...? :huh:

I might start doing that once my finals are over. When applying for undergrad, and mind you, I applied to 16 schools then, I created a giant spreadsheet of all the information I could want to know. However, because I applied to so many schools and given my stats, I knew I had a decent chance of getting into some of those schools. However, I'm only applying to 5 this time, and while I think my stats are decent, it's incredibly competitive. So, I might just wait a little before I start gathering that amount of detail. :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone know how to use the results page? I want to narrow down the results to just phd programs, but whenever I type phd in the search bar along with the school and the program I get no results. Yet, if I take away phd from my search, results show up with phd in the the program section. But then I have to search through a bunch of masters results too. :angry:

Edited by eighty8keys

Hi guys, anyone who applied to Ohio State in this topic. Have you heard anything back yet?

On 04/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, kristincas said:

I'm applying to clinical psycho programs for the second time. While my CV has grown substantially and I feel like I have a strong application, I am constantly questioning EVERYTHING and know how much of a crap shoot this process is. At this point, I've confirmed that all of my applications are complete and are under review, but it's hard to not obsess. I'm trying to frame this all as being fatalistic  to reduce my anxiety, but it's really hard to not think about every application detail and the competition constantly.     >.<