2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

On 2/1/2018 at 1:04 PM, aelwood14 said:

Which programs are you applying to? The University of Montana, Idaho State University, Northern Colorado University, Pacific University (Interview 2/16/18), University of Wyoming, University of Oregon, and Northern Arizona University.

Where are you from? Montana

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is that I have a low undergraduate GPA (2.68). However, with that being said, I was unaware that I have a learning disability and was diagnosed at the age 24 with severe dyslexia.  Last year, I made the decision to go back to school, with the appropriate accommodations, to complete a post-bac leveling program. Thankfully, I was able to bring up my GPA and completed the courses with 3.98 GPA. I have also been an SLP-A for the past five years and I'm hoping my experience will help with my application.  However, I am still concerned my undergrad GPA will overshadow my post-bac GPA and my work experience. 

Hey I applied to a lot of the same schools and I have the same concern regarding my GPA due to a disability I got diagnosed with. Did you address it in your SOPs by chance? Good luck, maybe we'll be future class mates :)

On 1/18/2018 at 12:16 AM, Slphope2be said:

Which programs are you applying to?

I applied to LIU post, Hofstra, SUNY Buffalo, Sacred Heart, St. Rose, Mercy, Molloy, St. John's, Adelphi, and SUNY New Paltz

Where are you from? Long Island, NY

What are your concerns? 

My GRE scores are not competitive: V:145 Q:144 AW: 4.5 and my overall GPA is a 3.76. I also have my BA in Psychology with a minor in CSD 

Experience: Undergraduate research in a language and literacy lab for 3 years, observing my sister who is a practicing SLP, and currently work in a preschool doing ABA and in a self-contained classroom every day. I also speak Spanish and want to pursue my bilingual extension. 

Good luck everyone!

Your GRE writing score is definitely competitive!

Emerson College, MGH, Northwestern, CUNY Hunter, CUNY Brooklyn, Molloy College, LIU Post, Adelphi University

Where are you from?

Long Island

Stats:

GRE: 151 Quant. 152 Verbal. 4.5 AW

Cumulative GPA: 3.97, Major GPA: 3.97

4 strong LOR

Extracurriculars: NCAA student-athlete and e-board member of NSSLHA chapter

What are your biggest concerns about applications

My average GRE scores and the fact that I have no clinical or research experience. I have done extensive work with the special needs population so Im hoping this will make up for it. So far I have an interview at Emerson but I'm not sure what I should expect to hear from the other schools. Will the schools look at my application since I broke a 300 on the GRE or does it not matter? Does anyone have similar stats and applied to the same schools? Has anyone heard anything from these schools yet? What is my shot at getting into the CUNY's?

On 2/1/2018 at 1:47 PM, MinnesotaHappy said:

@aelwood14 I have similar concerns! I started off my undergrad as a music major 10 years ago, and I was miserable; always getting sick all the time, I was in an abusive relationship, and I suffered with a mental health disorder- so all that ended with me in the hospital and my GPA went wayyyy down during that time. Now I have maintained a solid GPA in both my Associate's degree and my bachelor's that I'm completing now and I am currently in an SLPA internship. But the CSDCAS website requires all prior transcripts and they cumulate your GPA from ALL schools attended which I fear looks really bad! So I'm hoping that schools see how hard I've worked in the last 5 years, and don't judge me based on my transcripts from 10 years ago.

Best of luck to you- I hope it works out for both of us! You have wonderful experience, and I'm sure the grad programs will really value that :) 

Hello MinnesotaHappy,

It is good to know that are others out there with similar concerns. I do not want my past to held against me. I did explain in my personal statement why I do have a lower GPA. Is this something you did as well? I am just hoping at least one school (All I need is one "yes") can see past my lower undergraduate GPA, and value the hard work I put into completing my leveling program while working as a full time SLP-A.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, jnbfutureslp said:

Hey I applied to a lot of the same schools and I have the same concern regarding my GPA due to a disability I got diagnosed with. Did you address it in your SOPs by chance? Good luck, maybe we'll be future class mates :)

Hello jnbfutureslp,

Yes, I did address both my lower GPA and my undiagnosed learning disability in my personal statement, as well as, over-coming my disability. I felt it was important to disclose this information for them to understand my personal situation and that there was in fact a reason for my lower GPA.  Just out of curiosity, did you apply to Pacific U? And did you also disclose your disability in your personal statement?

On 2/1/2018 at 3:41 PM, TurboDog15 said:

You’re gonna be great! Great stats! 

I also applied to U of Montana.. let me know if you hear anything! 

Thank you! Where are you from? I have not heard from UM yet. I have also heard they can be a little late getting acceptances/wait-lists/rejections out. I'm hoping to hear back by the end of March. UM is where I completed both my undergrad and my leveling program through. Do you know anyone that has completed these program there? It makes me nervous how competitive their program is... but then again all of the programs are competitive!

1 hour ago, SLT said:

Hi everyone: Can you tell me what is tuition for the Masters in Speech Therapy?

Its going to be different for each school you apply to and it is also going to depend on whether you are a in-state and out-of-state applicant. Not to mention, some programs are from private schools. For instances, I applied to 9 schools and the cost of tuition ranges from $12,000-$59,000. Cost of tuition can also be found on individual final aid pages, and some can be found directly under the program page.

3 hours ago, aelwood14 said:

Thank you! Where are you from? I have not heard from UM yet. I have also heard they can be a little late getting acceptances/wait-lists/rejections out. I'm hoping to hear back by the end of March. UM is where I completed both my undergrad and my leveling program through. Do you know anyone that has completed these program there? It makes me nervous how competitive their program is... but then again all of the programs are competitive!

UM's website says they send out a second application to applicants who meet candidacy and try to make admissions decisions by early march although they can be late... has anyone gotten that second application yet??

9 minutes ago, yochapa said:

UM's website says they send out a second application to applicants who meet candidacy and try to make admissions decisions by early march although they can be late... has anyone gotten that second application yet??

I have not heard a thing yet. I have about 10 friends that have completed the program though... and even though the website does say early March, every year the decisions seem to come out a little later. But hopefully this year they will be on time. It was also my understanding that the secondary applications come out only after you have received a letter of acceptance.

The following I took straight from their website:

Second:Only when directed by the CSD department, complete the UM Graduate School Online Application. As part of this process, applicants must do the following:

Enter names and timeframes of all colleges and universities attended.

List names of the 3 references provided to CSDCAS (see above).

Pay the application fee.

To me, this would be after you have been accepted.

7 hours ago, aelwood14 said:

Hi! Yes.. all programs are SO competitive. I applied to their distance program but I know they don’t accept many for that. I’m currently living in CA - hoping to relocate to New Orleans area (applied to a lot of LA schools). That’s awesome you completed your other degrees there.. that means you probably have a good chance! Good luck! 

16 hours ago, TurboDog15 said:

Hi! Yes.. all programs are SO competitive. I applied to their distance program but I know they don’t accept many for that. I’m currently living in CA - hoping to relocate to New Orleans area (applied to a lot of LA schools). That’s awesome you completed your other degrees there.. that means you probably have a good chance! Good luck! 

I am honestly not sure how many distance students are accepted, but I can try and find out. I have a friend in the distance program now. Did you put on your application that you would be open to in-person classes if the distance program wasn't an option? 

4 hours ago, aelwood14 said:

I am honestly not sure how many distance students are accepted, but I can try and find out. I have a friend in the distance program now. Did you put on your application that you would be open to in-person classes if the distance program wasn't an option? 

Yep! I hear it's beautiful, there! Thank you, that'd be great!! :) 

Edited by TurboDog15

Which programs are you applying to? Florida State University, University of South Florida, Emerson College, Georgia State, Midwestern University Downers Grove

Where are you from? Tampa 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is my average GRE scores. I hope programs look at my application as a whole rather than just zeroing in on my scores because my resume, personal statement and letters of recommendation are pretty strong. 

GRE: 153 V  149 Q  4 A.W

GPA: 3.99

Updates from schools so far:

Interviews: Emerson College, Midwestern University 

Accepted so far only to Midwestern University 

Which programs are you applying to? Kean University, Hofstra University, Adelphi University, Teachers College Columbia University, Molloy College and La Salle University 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is the personal essay.

GRE: V: 155 Q: 142 AW: 4.5

GPA for SLP major: 3.93, GPA for Spanish major:3.61, Overall GPA: 3.76

Accepted: Adelphi University (received letter in the mail on 2/5)

On 1/25/2018 at 3:57 PM, allisonicks said:

Where are you applying? Molloy College, Hofstra University, LIU Post, Brooklyn College, St. John's University, and Sacred Heart University

Where are you from? Long Island, New York

What are your concerns? I previously attended Farmingdale State College for two years. While I was here, I pursued prerequisite courses for a physical therapy program,  which included anatomy and physiology, chemistry, and biology. Theses courses took a toll on my GPA at Farmingdale State College. When I graduated with my associates in liberal arts and sciences, my GPA was about a 3.5. I then went to Molloy College for 3 years, which was where i completed my coursework in speech pathology, and achieved an overall GPA of 3.91. I am a little nervous that graduate programs will look at my past and see that I had a 3.5 at Farmingdale College. I know my GRE scores are pretty average, but I work and volunteer a lot, so I am hoping this helps!

SLP Major Average GPA: 3.93, overall: 3.91 (at current college)  previous college: 3.5  

GRE: V: 151 Q: 150 A: 4.0

Seems like you have the whole package! 

23 minutes ago, Ange1414 said:

Which programs are you applying to? Kean University, Hofstra University, Adelphi University, Teachers College Columbia University, Molloy College and La Salle University 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is the personal essay.

Wow congrats on Adelphi!! 

On 2/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, Ange1414 said:

Congrats on Adelphi!! I also applied there and am looking forward to receiving an answer, hopefully soon!! What do you think the strongest part of your application was? 

On 2/7/2018 at 12:01 PM, NessaRR said:

Which programs are you applying to? Florida State University, University of South Florida, Emerson College, Georgia State, Midwestern University Downers Grove

Where are you from? Tampa 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is my average GRE scores. I hope programs look at my application as a whole rather than just zeroing in on my scores because my resume, personal statement and letters of recommendation are pretty strong. 

GRE: 153 V  149 Q  4 A.W

GPA: 3.99

Interviews: Emerson College, Midwestern University 

Accepted so far only to Midwestern University 

Congrats on Midwestern! How long after you interviewed did they tell you were accepted? I interviewed there not too long ago and am curious as to when I'll get a decision!

On 2/8/2018 at 10:16 PM, speechie1996 said:

Congrats on Adelphi!! I also applied there and am looking forward to receiving an answer, hopefully soon!! What do you think the strongest part of your application was? 

I am currently in Molloy College's CSD program for undergrad and I have clinical experience, which is very rare. I think something else that makes my application strong is that I'm a double major in CSD and Spanish with a minor in aging studies (gerontology). I feel like my volunteer work and involvement in student government was also something that bolstered my application.

I think as long as you show that you are a well-rounded student you should have no problem getting into a school like Adelphi! Good luck! 

22 hours ago, Ange1414 said:

I am currently in Molloy College's CSD program for undergrad and I have clinical experience, which is very rare. I think something else that makes my application strong is that I'm a double major in CSD and Spanish with a minor in aging studies (gerontology). I feel like my volunteer work and involvement in student government was also something that bolstered my application.

I think as long as you show that you are a well-rounded student you should have no problem getting into a school like Adelphi! Good luck! 

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it! Congrats again :) 

Hi future SLP's! 

Has anyone had any interviews yet? I've been invited to interview at a few schools and I'm beginning to get nervous about them. Does anyone have any advice going into the interview process? Some of my specific concerns are the dress code (what should we wear, specifically females?), the questions (what do you say if you don't know how to answer a question?), and overall making a good first impression. 

Any advice would be super helpful! Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!

GPA: 3.73 

GRE: 156 V, 155 quant, 4.5 AW

Major: Communications | Minor: Communicative Sciences and Disorders

Applying to: MSU, EMU, CMU, GVSU, WSU, WMU, BGSU, U of Toledo, St. Mary's, ISU, MU-Downer's Grove, Duquesne, Edinboro, Andrew's University, Calvin College, UW-Whitewater

Interviews: Grand Valley State University, University of Toledo, Midwestern University (Downer's Grove)

Edited by gabbygohl

15 hours ago, gabbygohl said:

Hi future SLP's! 

Has anyone had any interviews yet? I've been invited to interview at a few schools and I'm beginning to get nervous about them. Does anyone have any advice going into the interview process? Some of my specific concerns are the dress code (what should we wear, specifically females?), the questions (what do you say if you don't know how to answer a question?), and overall making a good first impression. 

Any advice would be super helpful! Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!

GPA: 3.73 

GRE: 156 V, 155 quant, 4.5 AW

Major: Communications | Minor: Communicative Sciences and Disorders

Applying to: MSU, EMU, CMU, GVSU, WSU, WMU, BGSU, U of Toledo, St. Mary's, ISU, MU-Downer's Grove, Duquesne, Edinboro, Andrew's University, Calvin College, UW-Whitewater

Interviews: Grand Valley State University, University of Toledo, Midwestern University (Downer's Grove)

Congrats on the upcoming interviews! If you search for "interviews" under the Speech pathology forums, older forums will pop-up full of interview tips/ suggestions.  I have an interview on Friday and I went with business casual for my outfit choice. I based this off of the dress code in the student handbook and from askings friends that have interviewed previously at this school, as well as, one friend that is a current student.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:16 AM, Slphope2be said:

I applied to LIU post, Hofstra, SUNY Buffalo, Sacred Heart, St. Rose, Mercy, Molloy, St. John's, Adelphi, and SUNY New Paltz

What are your concerns? 

My GRE scores are not competitive: V:145 Q:144 AW: 4.5 and my overall GPA is a 3.76. I also have my BA in Psychology with a minor in CSD 

Experience: Undergraduate research in a language and literacy lab for 3 years, observing my sister who is a practicing SLP, and currently work in a preschool doing ABA and in a self-contained classroom every day. I also speak Spanish and want to pursue my bilingual extension. 

Good luck everyone!

Hey!

I was just wondering if you have heard back from these schools yet?

goodluck!!

On 2/10/2018 at 12:13 AM, kcaulfield4 said:

Congrats on Midwestern! How long after you interviewed did they tell you were accepted? I interviewed there not too long ago and am curious as to when I'll get a decision!

They called me about a week after my interview! I was the first round of interviews which was on december 12th and they called me the 19th! Hope this helps!