2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

26 minutes ago, Kelseyy said:

Has anyone heard back from Chapman University or CSUN yet or know when we can expect to hear back from them? 

Thanks and Goodluck everyone! 

I interview with Chapman and they said decisions will be made Mid-March

6 hours ago, Kelseyy said:

Hi!

I was wondering if you could tell me anything about the interview process that you went through? I have two coming up and I am SO nervous! Thanks in advance!

Hi! I had a couple on campus and off campus interviews. Most of them (on campus) took you on a tour, had a Q&A and then the interview process (group and individual). They asked questions like why SLP? why the specific school? That sort of thing! My best advice, be yourself!! 

On 2/14/2018 at 1:55 PM, mlr said:

Judging by the results thread from last year, it looks like we could expect an email to check the portal if we're waitlisted/rejected and a phone call if we're accepted!

I see you've been accepted!!! CONGRATS! :lol: 

22 hours ago, Sam123456love said:

Does anyone know if Sacred Heart accepts people without interviewing? I know they’ve given people interviews already, so if you didn’t get an interview is it safe to assume you’ve been rejected? It was one of the (easier) schools I applied to, so I kinda thought I would get an interview (so totally not trying to sound conceited here sorry if it comes off that way!!,) but I didn’t so just curious!! 

I just interviewed at Sacred Heart on  2/17 and it seemed like they were interviewing everyone. I can't say for sure though. They said there would be another round of interviews within the next few weeks! I also applied here thinking it was a good "safety school" but the interview was actually a little intense! 

Hey all! First time grad-school applicant here and SO nervous about the whole thing!

Where are you applying? Temple University, Duquesne, University of Pittsburgh, University of Montana, and Pacific University

Where are you from? Portland, OR! PNW born and raised. Feeling excited that most of my schools are out of state, but also nervous about that.

What are your concerns? My biggest concerns are my lack of real world experience... been a student for a bit now and I also have been working full time at the front desk of a dentist office trying to make ends meet.

Good luck everyone :)

I got called and told I was admitted to UNC- Chapel Hill (YAY!!!!) but I keep seeing that you can see the acceptance on "the portal". When I log in to see my application status it just shows everything received with a green checkmark (transcripts, gre score, payment). I never got the official, "you are in go check the portal" email, just the follow up "hey you are in- come to the tour on this day".  I can't find anywhere to click or show anything else. Any help? 

19 minutes ago, speechy2018 said:

I got called and told I was admitted to UNC- Chapel Hill (YAY!!!!) but I keep seeing that you can see the acceptance on "the portal". When I log in to see my application status it just shows everything received with a green checkmark (transcripts, gre score, payment). I never got the official, "you are in go check the portal" email, just the follow up "hey you are in- come to the tour on this day".  I can't find anywhere to click or show anything else. Any help? 

Congratulations!! :D For mine, I was able to find the letter under "status update". Hope this helps!

Edited by mlr

4 minutes ago, mlr said:

Congratulations!! :D For mine, I was able to find the letter under "status update". Hope this helps!

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 4.10.30 PM.png

Thank you. Mine doesn't have that. I confirmed with Dr.McComish at least 2 times on the phone because I was so surprised but I'd be happy if I could see it on there. 

Anyone on here an older applicant that doesn't have a background in speech?  I am doing a complete career change, in fact I already have a masters degree in an unrelated field and have 15 years experience in that field.  I was wondering if there is anyone out there like me.

I only applied to Montclair State and William Paterson because I live in NJ and have two kids and am unable to relocate so I don't have a ton of options and am super nervous.  

Where am I applying: 

University of Washington, Western Washington, Northern Arizona, Western Michigan, Bowling Green State, West Chester University, La Salle University

Where I'm from:

Finishing my Undergrad at Bowling Green

Concerns: 

At this point it's just the waiting game, but I'm worried mostly about my GPA impacting my chances.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:04 PM, Speechpath5678 said:

Has anyone heard about interviews from Georgia State University? Looks like emails are supposed to go out mid Feb and last year the emails went out today...

I received an email Saturday morning about "being mindful of the deadlines" but all of my supporting documents were submitted before the Dec. 1st deadline to CSDCAS and GSU. So I'm not sure if my application is being reviewed or if it was tossed or what. The communication between admissions, the graduate school and the applicant aren't the best. 

42 minutes ago, SpeechJC said:

I received an email Saturday morning about "being mindful of the deadlines" but all of my supporting documents were submitted before the Dec. 1st deadline to CSDCAS and GSU. So I'm not sure if my application is being reviewed or if it was tossed or what. The communication between admissions, the graduate school and the applicant aren't the best. 

I got the same email!

1 hour ago, SpeechJC said:

So this is interesting. I received the same email last Wednesday and then another email on Saturday informing me that I was granted an interview. Who knows what’s up with these strange mind games they are playing! 

9 hours ago, cc0905 said:

Anyone on here an older applicant that doesn't have a background in speech?  I am doing a complete career change, in fact I already have a masters degree in an unrelated field and have 15 years experience in that field.  I was wondering if there is anyone out there like me.

I only applied to Montclair State and William Paterson because I live in NJ and have two kids and am unable to relocate so I don't have a ton of options and am super nervous.  

I'm a career changer and a tad bit older than other applicants.  Did you take a post-bacc program or any pre-reqs?  I also applied to William Paterson and Seton Hall in NJ.  Good luck! :) 

9 hours ago, cc0905 said:

My situation is pretty similar! I also already have a masters degree in an unrelated field, and I spent about 10 years working in that field before making the change to SLP Land. I decided to do a full-time postbac before applying to grad schools, but it's only been just under 8 months since I started coursework, volunteering, research, etc. It feels very daunting to compete with traditional students who potentially have 4 years of experience!

I have 2 stepkids, so I am also geographically bound and only applied to one school. I've been stressed out of my mind waiting to find out whether I got in!! Fingers crossed for both of us :)

4 hours ago, sadie508 said:

Congrats on the acceptance!! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you! :) and sure! I'm out of state. I have a 3.74 cumulative(from a top 20 university, so that may have had some pull GPA-wise) but  higher for the pre-reqs (I'm not a CSD major so I had to take pre-reqs elsewhere), 160V 157Q 5.0 AW, research/leadership/volunteer experience.

Edited by mlr