2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

Hi everyone and good luck on your graduate applications.:)

I have a double major in Communication Sciences & Disorders and Sociology
Which programs I am applying to: La Salle, Kean, Teachers College (Columbia), Lehman, Queens College, Brooklyn, Molloy, Mercy, Touro, LIU Post, St. Johns, Hofstra, New Paltz, Plattsburgh

Where I am from: New York (but born and raised outside of the U.S.)

Biggest concern about my applications: I would say my GREs, they are not in the 150s range.

If anyone has any information to share about these schools (interviews, stats, etc) I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Which programs are you applying to? SDSU and CSUN, for now

Where are you from? San Diego

What are your biggest concerns about applications? 

I'm a returning student with an MA in Applied Linguistics and 10 years of ESL teaching experience.  Although my GRE is great (170V/153Q, still waiting on writing but I used to teach GRE writing, so I'm not terribly worried about that), and I think I'm a solid candidate I'm a little worried because my GPA from before I went back was... mediocre at best (maybe a 3.3/3.4?), and none of my letters of recommendation come from SLP teachers.  I'm taking my prerequisites through USU, and although I've got a solid 4.0 in those classes, I wanted my letters to be more personal than an online teacher could provide.  I have one instructor -- a statistics instructor that I took an in-person class with, and two bosses.  I know they don't rate those letters as highly, but considering that these are from ESL teaching positions, I'm really hoping that overcomes that.

I've really got my heart set on SDSU, because it's my alma mater and it's only 15 minutes away.  Fingers crossed!

Which programs are you applying to?: CSUF, CSUN, CSULA, CSULB, SDSU, SJSU, University of Redlands, Chapman, Loma Linda

Where are you from?: Southern California!

What are your biggest concerns about applications?: Definitely my GPA, as I don't think it's competitive enough for California... I'm a post-bacc student, and my undergrad GPA is 3.41, but my ComDis GPA is around 3.7~3.8 right now. I'm hoping this semester's grades bring it up higher!! Also my letter of intent is a concern, because I don't know where to put my focus! I don't know if I want to talk about my interests in ComDis research related stuff, or write about me being bilingual... because some programs only let me write 500 words I'm just a stressnut in general. I did ok on my GRE, Q:160, V:157, AW:4.5. Also, I don't know how to manage all the transcripts I'm sending to all these programs!!! AHHHHHH!!!!

On 12/13/2017 at 9:19 AM, lmcslp said:

A lot of schools are starting to really embrace people who don't have an SLP undergrad major! UVA said that half of their incoming class are Track 2's (non SLP undergrad). If you're taking the time to apply to grad school, you are clearly a great applicant already :) no worries! You sound like you are more qualified than you think! 

P.S. i love seeing people who are applying to some of the same schools as me because I start to think that we could potentially be in the same class! AHH ;) Best of luck!

Thanks for your encouragement! 

Haha, I am with you on that! Time will tell, that's for sure! Good luck to you, as well! 

On 11/9/2017 at 4:07 PM, bevo18 said:

Hi I am from Texas and applying to a big range of schools (6) all over the country. My biggest concerns are not know exactly what constitutes a "good" school versus a "safety" school, not standing out, and funding. Best of luck to all applying! 

Applying to graduate schools for Fall 2018!

GPA: 3.95 

GRE: 165V 159Q 4.5AW

Applying to: The University of Texas / University of Texas at Dallas / University of Houston  / Columbia Teacher's College / Vanderbilt / University of Washington

Hi, From what my professors have told me is that the goal is to become an SLP and so where you go does not entirely matter since all accredited schools have to follow guide lines from ASHA. That being said some schools have more resources than others and that sort of thing but over all you will get the education you need to become an SLP any where you go!

This will be my first time applying! 

Which programs are you applying to?

Midwestern (Illinois), Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois (Carbondale), Northern Iowa, and Grand Valley State. Six schools total! 

Where are you from?

Illinois. 

GPA and GRE. I had a lot of trouble with my mental health at the beginning of my college career, which I mentioned briefly in my personal statement. I improved but not enough for my GPA to be “competitive”. I also took the GRE twice but both scores are still not “competitive”. First round was 144V, 145Q, and 5.5AW. My second round was 155V, 142Q, and still waiting for my AW score since I took it last week but should be within the same range. 

I do have lots of experience from a clinical practicum in a language acquisition preschool, special recreation, and working at an applied behavioral science preschool. I am currently working as a para at a therapeutic day school. Will be interviewed for an additional part-time position in behavior therapy tomorrow. Also hoping my recs will help offset my poor scores. 

Best of luck to everyone else applying! ❤️

On 12/13/2017 at 12:17 AM, SLPHaley said:

Where are you applying? SFSU, CSUF, Midwestern University Downers & Glendale, Elmhurst, NYU 

Where are you from? SF

What are your concerns? Low GRE scores

Average Major GPA: 3.90

GRE: M&V: Less than 50th percentile, A: 4.5

Experiences: Worked/volunteered in multiple pediatric speech clinics, math & literacy tutor, Children's Sunday School Event Coordinator, Peer mentor for anatomy & physiology of speech for fall 2017 & neurolinguistics for spring 2018, clinic aide in the child and ASD clinic at SFSU, program aide at a rehabilitation center for adults with a diverse range of disabilities, actively provides community outreach services to local community 

Other Relevant Info: National NSSLHA Member - Special Interest Group 2, Bilingual in Tagalog 

Hi, I applied to midwestern too, Downers Grove campus! I just found out I was accepted! have you been for your interview yet??? Good luck with the process I am sure it will all work out for you!

I am seriously so worried about being accepted anywhere that I applied to eleven different schools! University of Montana, Portland State, Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, UNC Chapel Hill, Appalachian State, Kent State, Ohio University, Penn State, University of Nevada, and Pacific University. 

Where are you from?

I am from CA. Between cost of living and how much more competitive schools are around here, I am looking to move somewhere else for grad school and hopefully stay there.

Is my application an acceptable answer? I don't think anything I have done is above average! I am terrified that I am not going to get in anywhere. More to that, I am worried that if I somehow do get accepted, that I wont be able to afford to visit places and am going to hate where I end up moving to.

Edited by Hermiosa17

I don't have a background in Communication Disorders or SLP, so I'm taking several prereqs now at my local college, plus ASL. 

University of Arizona (UA) and Vanderbilt University

Where are you from?

Northern Nevada

Being considered for tuition remission waivers and/or scholarships. I'd like to say I'm not too worried about being accepted, but there's always that fear. Money toward schooling, though? That's an entirely separate animal. In any case, I've done everything I can to communicate with the universities, volunteer within my community, reach out to local SLPs, etc, but is it enough? Dunno.

Good luck to everyone applying! 

Edited by Shiji E. Moji

Which programs are you applying to? Just UW-Seattle

Where are you from? Originally CT, but I've been in Seattle for awhile now :) 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? Just applying to one school! Also, a limited background in CSD/ only 3 months of volunteer experience. (Soooo nervous.)

Which programs are you applying to? San Jose State and University of Maine at Orono

Where are you from? Northern California! I want to eventually live and practice here, but I have family in Maine and love the area so I'm also applying to a program there.

What are your biggest concerns about applications? Honestly getting everything in and verified on time.... So far neither of the programs have confirmed they have my transcripts or GRE scores, even though I sent them weeks ago!

Which programs are you applying to? Fresno State, Idaho State, Eastern New Mexico, University of Wyoming, Missouri State, Southeast Missouri, and Northern Colorado. 

Where are you from? Central California. My #1 school is Fresno State as I would be able to live at home. 

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  My statement of purpose might be the weakest portion of my application. I don't really have direct clinical experience, volunteer hours, or an emotional appeal for why I chose speech-language pathology. Mine was straightforward about why those universities would be great a fit for me and what I can provide the graduate program. I have a 3.98 in-major, 3.93 overall, and 157 V/4.5 AW. Hopefully, my numbers outweigh my personal statement. 

On 12/30/2017 at 12:06 PM, sleepyfairy said:

Which programs are you applying to? San Jose State and University of Maine at Orono

Where are you from? Northern California! I want to eventually live and practice here, but I have family in Maine and love the area so I'm also applying to a program there.

What are your biggest concerns about applications? Honestly getting everything in and verified on time.... So far neither of the programs have confirmed they have my transcripts or GRE scores, even though I sent them weeks ago!

I am also from Northern California and considering applying to Maine! I have never been there though and am a little nervous about the transition to the more intense weather there. I have lived in CA my whole life so I am kinda spoiled by amazing weather :P. Do you have thoughts about that?

Maryville University, University of Missouri, Missouri State University,  Saint Xavier University, Governors State University, and Elmhurst College.

Where are you from?

Missouri

All of my applications, with the exception of one, are through CSDCAS. My biggest worry is that I have somehow messed up something on that website. It seems like everything has to be extremely perfect, and if not they'll just send your applications back :( I have decent grades, decent GRE, and some really great experience relevant to the field, and volunteer experience out of the country as well! I really hope I get in somewhere! 

Pitt, Columbia, Hunter, LIU Post, Molloy and Adelphi

Where are you from?

Long Island, NY, but undergrad at Pitt

The fact that the number of acceptances are so small at some of the schools I am applying to. I have a 3.76 overall and 3.9 in major, 153 Verbal 154 Quant and 4.5 AW, plenty of shadowing hours, involvement and leadership positions in different organizations, and I worked as a special education TA, collaborating with SLPs, PTs, OTs, etc. but I'm still nervous that it just isn't going to be enough compared to other applicants.

Which programs are you applying to? California State University-Long Beach, California State University-Fullerton, California State University-Los Angeles, California State University-East Bay, California State University-Fresno, Chapman University, University of Redlands, and Pacific University (Oregon).

Where are you from? Los Angeles

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  I have a lot of experience. I am an early intervention assistant for a non-profit therapy clinic. As a member of an interdisciplinary team, I assist SLPs, OTs, PTs, and teachers during group therapy with toddlers with global developmental delays. I have also completed my 100 hours of practicum as a SLPA intern at CSULB's child language clinic, culturally and linguistically diverse clinic, and stroke survivor support center with Spanish speakers. I have interpreted during assessments, progress reports, and interviews for Spanish speaking families. I have also volunteered at two private practices and shadowed SLPAs for the past two years meanwhile being active in NSSHLA. I have also worked for a school district where I independently created workshops to assisted and mentored high school seniors from low-income families apply for college and financial aid. I have also served as a proctor for Aural Rehabilitation of the Hearing Impaired and received an A in the Spanish Language and Culture in Speech-Language Pathology course at CSULB. I am also the first person in my family to attend university and I am from a low-socioeconomic background (born and raised in South Central Los Angeles), which have influenced me to want to work as a SLP in an underserved community. HOWEVER.... MY GRE SCORES ARE LOW. I took the GRE two times and the first time I got 146 V. 137 Q. and 3.5 AW. The second time I got a 148 V. 134 Q. and 3.0 AW. I am afraid some schools won't even consider me because of my scores. I hear all the time about how competitive it is to get into grad school. I really want to stay in Los Angeles or Orange County but only time will tell, I am trying to stay optimistic :)  I am also worried about cost, since 3 of the schools I am applying to are private.

COMD GPA: 3.85

Edited by Mercie1994

Hey everybody!  I really liked reading all of your posts and wish you all the best of luck!  I'm an out-of-field applicant (psychology major/sociology minor) and I haven't taken any prerequisites, so I'm kind of limited in which programs I can apply to- which is why I'm applying to schools all over the country.  I do have some related experience- I have been shadowing a speech pathologist since October.  I also had a year-long internship at a mental health facility, which is not directly related, but I think (hope?) looks good on my apps.

Which programs are you applying to?  Grand Valley, Radford, Sacred Heart, Temple, University of Arizona, University of Central Florida, University of Central Missouri, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of South Alabama, Western Carolina (11 total)

Where are you from? Atlanta, GA

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I don't think my GPA and GRE scores are very competitive.  My overall GPA is 3.58; my GRE is 301 (Verbal- 156, Math- 145, Writing- 4.5).  I'm really worried about getting an acceptance, so I am applying to a lot of schools.  It's stressful and expensive, so I hope that it's worth it in the end & that I am not doing too much!

On 12/20/2017 at 12:30 PM, NessaRR said:

Hi, I applied to midwestern too, Downers Grove campus! I just found out I was accepted! have you been for your interview yet??? Good luck with the process I am sure it will all work out for you!

I applied to Midwestern too and have an interview on January 23rd! How was the interviewing process? and congrats on being accepted, thats amazing!

Edited by mauraslp2b

16 minutes ago, mauraslp2b said:

I applied to Midwestern too and have an interview on January 23rd! How was the interviewing process? and congrats on being accepted, thats amazing!

I just interviewed at Midwestern last week! Don't freak out about it, the environment is really comfortable and the interviews aren't anything you can spend a lot of time preparing for. I would just spend a little time thinking about your own characteristics. You interview in pairs, so make the most out of the time you get to speak. The whole day goes by quickly!

I'm a little late to the party but oh well haha. I'm a first-year applicant

Schools I'm applying to: University of Tennessee, Ohio University, Florida Atlantic, University of Maine, Mizzou, Northern Colorado, interviewed at Midwestern (Downer's Grove)

Where I'm from:  Illinois

Biggest Concern: Affording school ? I think I have a decent chance at getting accepted somewhere, but I don't feel that I'm competitive enough for funding

2 minutes ago, mtgslp2be said:

Thank you so much for the info! That makes me feel a lot better. When they interview you in pairs, do they ask you both the same question? How was the essay prompt?

There's a "professional interview" and a "personal interview" in the professional interview we got asked different questions, but the personal interview was the same for both of us. The essay question is nothing to worry about, they don't ask you anything that would require specific clinical knowledge or anything like that!

9 minutes ago, indiebb said:

There's a "professional interview" and a "personal interview" in the professional interview we got asked different questions, but the personal interview was the same for both of us. The essay question is nothing to worry about, they don't ask you anything that would require specific clinical knowledge or anything like that!

That is great to know. Thank you so much!! Good luck with everything :)

Which programs are you applying to? I am applying to: CSU Chico, CSU San Marcos, CSU Los Angeles, CSU Long Beach, CSU Fullerton, CSU Fresno, Loma Linda, University of Redlands, SDSU, and Eastern New Mexico University.

Where are you from? I am originally from Southern California but I went to school in Northern California.

What are your biggest concerns about applications? This is my second time applying. I am worried about my gpa (3.4) since it is pretty low. My GRE scores are good (163 verbal, 156 quant, 5 A.W.) and I double majored in CMSD and psychology in 4 years. I have plenty of volunteer experience, and I have an honors thesis under my belt. I am just worried that my gpa is going to kill my application. My first time applying the graduate coordinator told me to ONLY apply to her school........but then she told me they do not look at any applications under 3.5 AFTER I got denied. So that unfortunate experience is weighing me down. Fingers crossed though!

On 1/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, Need2BeSLP said:

Which programs are you applying to? I am applying to: CSU Chico, CSU San Marcos, CSU Los Angeles, CSU Long Beach, CSU Fullerton, CSU Fresno, Loma Linda, University of Redlands, SDSU, and Eastern New Mexico University.

Where are you from? I am originally from Southern California but I went to school in Northern California.

What are your biggest concerns about applications? This is my second time applying. I am worried about my gpa (3.4) since it is pretty low. My GRE scores are good (163 verbal, 156 quant, 5 A.W.) and I double majored in CMSD and psychology in 4 years. I have plenty of volunteer experience, and I have an honors thesis under my belt. I am just worried that my gpa is going to kill my application. My first time applying the graduate coordinator told me to ONLY apply to her school........but then she told me they do not look at any applications under 3.5 AFTER I got denied. So that unfortunate experience is weighing me down. Fingers crossed though!

Definitely try some out of state online programs. To be honest, your gpa probably won’t cut it with the CA schools. It’s really unfortunate because in any other field your stats are wonderful. Try NYU online and even CSUN online...they accept more applicants compared to their campus program so it’s less competitive. Good luck!

I applied to LIU post, Hofstra, SUNY Buffalo, Sacred Heart, St. Rose, Mercy, Molloy, St. John's, Adelphi, and SUNY New Paltz

Where are you from? Long Island, NY

What are your concerns? 

My GRE scores are not competitive: V:145 Q:144 AW: 4.5 and my overall GPA is a 3.76. I also have my BA in Psychology with a minor in CSD 

Experience: Undergraduate research in a language and literacy lab for 3 years, observing my sister who is a practicing SLP, and currently work in a preschool doing ABA and in a self-contained classroom every day. I also speak Spanish and want to pursue my bilingual extension. 

Good luck everyone!