2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

On 2/23/2018 at 5:02 PM, TurboDog15 said:

Has anyone heard a peep from U of Montana?

I have not. According to the results page, it looks like people heard back from U of M at the end of March to early April last year.

22 minutes ago, Mel.SLP.2018 said:

Has anyone heard back from UMASS Amherst?? I've heard they "typically" begin making their first round of decisions around this time. I just want them to start so we can get the ball rolling!! I hate waiting... ugh!

I’m waiting on them too!! I applied pretty far before their deadline and still haven’t heard anything. Here’s to hoping this week!!

18 hours ago, WesttoEast18 said:

I'm a career changer and a tad bit older than other applicants.  Did you take a post-bacc program or any pre-reqs?  I also applied to William Paterson and Seton Hall in NJ.  Good luck! :) 

I am in the middle of the post bacc program, took three classes in fall and got a 3.7 GPA, would have been higher but I was going through chemo for breast cancer so I hope they take that into consideration.  Have you heard anything from WPU?  Also good luck to you!! 

18 hours ago, SopranoSLP said:

My situation is pretty similar! I also already have a masters degree in an unrelated field, and I spent about 10 years working in that field before making the change to SLP Land. I decided to do a full-time postbac before applying to grad schools, but it's only been just under 8 months since I started coursework, volunteering, research, etc. It feels very daunting to compete with traditional students who potentially have 4 years of experience!

I have 2 stepkids, so I am also geographically bound and only applied to one school. I've been stressed out of my mind waiting to find out whether I got in!! Fingers crossed for both of us :)

Oh that's great that you completed the post-bacc, my plan if I don't get in is to complete the post-bacc, get some relevant work and try again to show some improvement because my undergrad GPA is so low.  It stresses me out because my GPA in grad school was a 3.96 so I hope they take that into account.  We'll see!   Good luck!!!!  

I found this on a grad cafe forum "grad cafe umass speech grad school admissions results" and clicked "all time" it shows people posted around this time last year in 2017. Starting at February 23 through email they received acceptances.  So I think it might be even earlier than march when we should start hearing back! at least some of us who don't get waitlisted. 

UMass Amherst / University Of Massachusetts Amherst Cimmunication Sciences And Disorders/ Speech Language Pathology, Masters (F17) Accepted via E-mail on 23 Feb 2017 A 24 Feb 2017
UMass (Amherst) CDDS Speech Language Pathology, Masters (F17) Accepted via E-mail on 23 Feb 2017   24 Feb 2017
  •  
University Of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass Amherst) CDDS Speech Language Pathology, Masters (F17) Accepted via E-mail on 24 Feb 2017 A 24 Feb 2017
  •  
University Of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass Amherst) CDDS Speech Language Pathology, Masters (F17) Accepted via E-mail on 24 Feb 2017 A 24 Feb 2017
  •  
The University Of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass) CDDS Speech Pathology/ Communication Disorders, Masters (F17) Accepted via E-mail on 24 Feb 2017 A 24 Feb 2017
  • SO excited!!!

not sure if you can see the chart i pasted above ^^^

https://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=umass+speech&t=a&o=

2 hours ago, cc0905 said:

Oh that's great that you completed the post-bacc, my plan if I don't get in is to complete the post-bacc, get some relevant work and try again to show some improvement because my undergrad GPA is so low.  It stresses me out because my GPA in grad school was a 3.96 so I hope they take that into account.  We'll see!   Good luck!!!!  

I would think that they would even look at your grad GPA even more since that is a better indicator of how you would do in another grad program! Good luck to you! 

On 2/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, Dee2017 said:

I can relate to pretty much everything you said.  CSDCAS is a nightmare.  We have very similar GRE scores and GPAs.  I applied to twelve schools and I am just hoping that I get one acceptance.  I also have an interview at Mercy so maybe I will see you there.  Good luck!

^^ can definitely relate to low GPA (2.66) as I have my own struggles with mental health but tried to counteract that with above 50th %tile GRE scores. I also applied to Western Michigan University so also let me know if you hear from them! Good luck!!

On 2/22/2018 at 7:24 AM, haneyjcdis18 said:

Where am I applying: 

University of Washington, Western Washington University, Northern Arizona University, Western Michigan University, Bowling Green State University, West Chester University, La Salle University

Where I'm from:

Finishing my Undergrad at Bowling Green

Concerns: 

At this point it's just the waiting game, but I'm worried mostly about my GPA impacting my chances.

I am applying to Western Michigan also! Do you plan on going to the open house on campus or no? Just wondering and good luck!

Hi everyone!

I am a first time applicant and in field undergrad major at the University of Washington - Seattle.

Which programs are you applying to? Eastern Michigan University, Michigan State University, Western Michigan University, Wayne State University, University of Toledo, University of Texas at Dallas, University of Utah, Gallaudet University 

Where are you from? I am from Southern California, specifically Orange County, CA. Home of Disneyland!

What are your biggest concerns about applications? That my very poor GPA will be the main determining factor that grad school committees do not look further into my application. Ultimately, my fear is that I do not get into any graduate schools at all and have to go through this incredibly stressful and expensive process all over again.

STATS: GPA = 2.66, GRE Quant: 148, Verbal: 150, Writing: 5

Eastern Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Wayne State, University of Toledo, UT Dallas, University of Utah, Gallaudet

ACCEPTED, WAITLISTED, REJECTED, NOT HEARD BACK YET

22 hours ago, cc0905 said:

I am in the middle of the post bacc program, took three classes in fall and got a 3.7 GPA, would have been higher but I was going through chemo for breast cancer so I hope they take that into consideration.  Have you heard anything from WPU?  Also good luck to you!! 

I have not heard anything from William Paterson, but I've already been accepted to a school in my state (NY) so either way I will not be attending. 

17 hours ago, sarahh46 said:

Hi everyone!

I am a first time applicant and in field undergrad major at the University of Washington - Seattle.

Which programs are you applying to? Eastern Michigan University, Michigan State University, Western Michigan University, Wayne State University, University of Toledo, University of Texas at Dallas, University of Utah, Gallaudet University 

Where are you from? I am from Southern California, specifically Orange County, CA. Home of Disneyland!

What are your biggest concerns about applications? That my very poor GPA will be the main determining factor that grad school committees do not look further into my application. Ultimately, my fear is that I do not get into any graduate schools at all and have to go through this incredibly stressful and expensive process all over again.

STATS: GPA = 2.66, GRE Quant: 148, Verbal: 150, Writing: 5

Eastern Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Wayne State, University of Toledo, UT Dallas, University of Utah, Gallaudet

ACCEPTED, WAITLISTED, REJECTED, NOT HEARD BACK YET

Hey! I must say that you are an inspiration to me because we have similar GPA's and I'm terrified I will not be considered because of that. I have an undergraduate GPA of 2.63... which is due to having an undiagnosed learning disability. After my diagnosis, I went back with the appropriate accommodations and retook all of my undergrad CSD courses. I completed my post-bach with a 3.98 which brought me up to 2.99 . With it still being under a 3.0 I have very high concerns of not getting accepted but, seeing that you are on two waitlists gives me hope that maybe someone, somewhere can look past my low undergad GPA. Congrats on the waitlists! SO awesome!

On 2/26/2018 at 11:48 AM, Mel.SLP.2018 said:

Has anyone heard back from UMASS Amherst?? I've heard they "typically" begin making their first round of decisions around this time. I just want them to start so we can get the ball rolling!! I hate waiting... ugh!

I am also anxiously awaiting on Umass Amherst. Do you think we'd find out through the portal or through an email? 

7 hours ago, SLP2018applicant said:

I am also anxiously awaiting on Umass Amherst. Do you think we'd find out through the portal or through an email? 

After doing some research, I believe we will receive an email saying our portal has been updated....  and we find it through there! Or maybe the email will also tell us of our acceptance or rejection? I'm guessing one of those options will be the way we find out!

I’m a little late to get on here, but this is my first year applying and the wait is killing me!

Which programs are you applying to?

University of Oregon, Portland State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, University of Montana, University of Wyoming, Northern Arizona, Midwestern (Glendale), University of Colorado - Boulder, and University of Northern Colorado. !10 schools

Where are you from?

Montana, but lived in Colorado for the last year and a half

What are your biggest concerns about applications?

Probably my biggest concern is letters of recommendation. Most schools require two letters be from CSD professors and I took those classes online post-bacc so i think those letters will be pretty generic. My cumulative GPA is about a 3.78 but my CSD GPA is 4.0 and GRE V154 Q153 W4.0 so not stellar but not terrible either. 

I interviewed at Midwestern last week and Eastern Washington this weekend! Just praying for good news soon. It’s been great reading everyone’s experiences.

1 hour ago, Lindsey406 said:

I’m a little late to get on here, but this is my first year applying and the wait is killing me!

University of Oregon, Portland State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, University of Montana, University of Wyoming, Northern Arizona, Midwestern (Glendale), University of Colorado - Boulder, and University of Northern Colorado. !10 schools

Where are you from?

Probably my biggest concern is letters of recommendation. Most schools require two letters be from CSD professors and I took those classes online post-bacc so i think those letters will be pretty generic. My cumulative GPA is about a 3.78 but my CSD GPA is 4.0 and GRE V154 Q153 W4.0 so not stellar but not terrible either. 

I interviewed at Midwestern last week and Eastern Washington this weekend! Just praying for good news soon. It’s been great reading everyone’s experiences.

We applied to a lot of the same schools! I'm hoping we start hearing back within the next couple weeks or so! At least Idaho we may know something by Friday! Good luck to you!! 

2 hours ago, Lindsey406 said:

Where are you from?

Hello!

Good luck to you! I also applied to Northern Arizona. Have you visited the campus yet? If so, what were your thoughts? 

On 2/27/2018 at 2:49 PM, SLP2018applicant said:

Hi! I'm an Speech undergrad at UMASS, decisions should start being sent by next week,  decisions will be on SPIRE, that's the tea from around the department. Fingers crossed y'all!

On 2/27/2018 at 9:01 AM, aelwood14 said:

Hey! I must say that you are an inspiration to me because we have similar GPA's and I'm terrified I will not be considered because of that. I have an undergraduate GPA of 2.63... which is due to having an undiagnosed learning disability. After my diagnosis, I went back with the appropriate accommodations and retook all of my undergrad CSD courses. I completed my post-bach with a 3.98 which brought me up to 2.99 . With it still being under a 3.0 I have very high concerns of not getting accepted but, seeing that you are on two waitlists gives me hope that maybe someone, somewhere can look past my low undergad GPA. Congrats on the waitlists! SO awesome!

Thanks! absolutely! I have been terrified this entire process but I didn't want my fears controlling my decisions. I dont know for sure what made those two programs look past my low GPA but I did visit Gallaudet's program last week in person and spoke with the graduate program director. She stated that Gallaudet has a 14 point comprehensive application process and GPA is just one factor. There are other things such as: diversity (international applicant, study abroad experience), work experience, foreign language (other than ASL), ASL experience, good personal statement, good LOR, that are all part of the point process. I also spoke about the context behind why my GPA was so horrible during my academic time in my personal statement (about half of it) and made it a point when I met with her to be very frank and honest about it. She did say that initially with GPA I was going to be rejected but after they looked at my GRE scores (which combined are over 50th %tile), that had me be in the running. She also said me coming to visit in person at the department was another point in the system which helped in my waitlist rankings:). I can only speak for Gallaudet as that was the only program that was that frank and open about the process for me, but I say go for it! If anything, people that have dealt with struggles only shows just how resilient we are:)

Edited by sarahh46

20 hours ago, Felice said:

Hello!

Good luck to you! I also applied to Northern Arizona. Have you visited the campus yet? If so, what were your thoughts? 

Congratulations on getting accepted to NAU! I have not heard anything from them so I assume that means i’m waitlisted at best. I have not visited the campus, is it a top choice for you?