Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

1 hour ago, pinoysoc said:

Lord, I know this fact. But it seems like I'm always the exception. They can say that all they want, but being rejected for the 3rd application cycle in a row, I doubt this is true. I had a school flat out tell me once, that they won't admit me because my scores were too low. 

What would you suggest I do differently then? I don't know how else to spin my background and experience to get adcomm's to notice. It's hard not to lose self-worth when it took me so long and so much other personal issues to work through to get to this point. I'm just really emotionally drained and it just makes me question if I should I even consider doing this again. 

Thank you for saying that. It's much easier for everyone to say that now that they have acceptances.

Do you know how frustrating it is to go through this cycle more than once? Some of you have been blessed to get into a program right away. You guys don't have to go through the emotional stress the other 99% go through just to get to get in and apply over and over and over. There is that point where you just stop and re-think if it's worth it. Where I come from, it's hard enough to leave the comfort of family and your support system to pursue your dreams and then you have to do this process over and over and over.

I follow the advice of a person that I know with low GRE scores. I had low GRE scores, I re-took the test several times and I could not get higher scores (I even got Magoosh reimbursement because I got even lower scores than ever after taking their course and doing everything following the crazy time consuming plan of study. It's not that the program does not work it's just that I am horrible taking tests and at one point I block myself, it happened to me too with the Toefl when I applied to my masters in the U.S.). After that, I realized the GRE makes me miserable. I do not have publications in the U.S either, and I did not have time to get something out there before submitting my application. I got rejected from 8 schools last year, and this year my best GRE score was the same I used in the previous application cycle. What this person recommended me was to contact POI, I contacted over 90-100 professors and applied to almost 15 schools and 18 programs (I had to save a lot and my credit card is totally collapsed). I wrote a standard e-mail introducing myself and attached my CV and a research proposal I wrote. The e-mail asked professors their advice and thoughts regarding my proposal and regarding the application. Most of them did not reply, others did. I apply to a conference (American Society of Criminology), and I contacted all the professors I was interested in working with that were attending to the conference with this strategy. I got meetings with them during the conference and talk with them about my proposal, my work, etc (it was like having the chance to have a pre-interview), I think if the know you you are not just a file, and the look you differently, beyond your test scores. I do not know if this helps, but I appreciated this advice when my friend gave it to me. She also got rejected from all schools she applied the first time (PhD in History). For me this new strategy worked, if you still want to apply it may work for you too. You can apply to fewer schools that I did (my friend applied only to 4-5 programs) and she still got positive results (she is at Princeton history department).

Edited by crimsociol

@crimsociol kudos to you for working hard and being proactive to making things happen. I did something similar just on a much smaller scale....my emails sent and conversations with professors at ASC did not even crack double digits haha.

But my main objective was for them to see my face, know my name, and know who I am in general. I'm still in the process of seeing whether that will work out for me but congratulations. 

Has anyone heard from Emory lately about a waitlisting? I did not receive an invitation to their prospective student weekend, but I haven't gotten a rejection either. I'm unsure if this means I'm on some wait list system, and how long that list might be. 

Edited by sociology92

13 minutes ago, Mopar18 said:

@crimsociol kudos to you for working hard and being proactive to making things happen. I did something similar just on a much smaller scale....my emails sent and conversations with professors at ASC did not even crack double digits haha.

But my main objective was for them to see my face, know my name, and know who I am in general. I'm still in the process of seeing whether that will work out for me but congratulations. 

Thank you! I hope it works for you too!

Edited by crimsociol

Called Boulder CU, they said no decisions have been made, we will find out mid february. 

Update on my status! I have heard from no one- except rejection from Rutgers. I am assuming I am not going anywhere this Fall. But I am staying positive, or trying to! 

Just want to say congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted or wait listed! 

6 minutes ago, NinaMistina said:

Called Boulder CU, they said no decisions have been made, we will find out mid february. 

Update on my status! I have heard from no one- except rejection from Rutgers. I am assuming I am not going anywhere this Fall. But I am staying positive, or trying to! 

Just want to say congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted or wait listed! 

Jeez Boulder, can they take any longer? I want to know meow!! 

Thanks for sharing the update!

1 hour ago, abenz said:

I completely appreciate the sentiment behind it, and do understand your points. But people can accidentally come across as a little condescending - I suppose in a jokey way, I’m just asking people to bear that in mind when they post, to avoid sounding that way!

I totally totally get that, and it definitely is presumptuous. I think the supportive message more geared toward those having obvious panic attacks hahaha. Either way considering I haven't gotten any acceptances yet, I can empathize with the feelings of condescension and convenience. 

I know this isn't entirely relevant, but I know there's some other criminology/sociology people on here...I got an email today from a professor in Penn's criminology department - I had applied to the PhD but don't have an existing background in statistics so I am being offered admission to the masters program for now instead. Very nice email, said my app was strong and believed I would have many options but that they hoped I would consider doing the one-year masters program to get started with the department...so if anyone else applied heads up decisions are looming!!

5 minutes ago, 2733amh said:

I know this isn't entirely relevant, but I know there's some other criminology/sociology people on here...I got an email today from a professor in Penn's criminology department - I had applied to the PhD but don't have an existing background in statistics so I am being offered admission to the masters program for now instead. Very nice email, said my app was strong and believed I would have many options but that they hoped I would consider doing the one-year masters program to get started with the department...so if anyone else applied heads up decisions are looming!!

Thank you for the information! I applied to the Criminology program so this is good to know. And congrats on the master’s acceptance!

4 minutes ago, R1001 said:

Thank you for the information! I applied to the Criminology program so this is good to know. And congrats on the master’s acceptance!

thank you! likely will not be going because I have several JD acceptances and I don't see myself doing a masters with those in play...but good luck, hoping you get good results your way!!

23 hours ago, qeta said:

@abenz, @syza, and @latemeg, I called the department this morning. I was told that there is no additional information on my application, and the decisions will be out in the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks!!! This is very comforting. See, it's not hard to send an email or website update that takes like a minute... 

7 hours ago, abenz said:

Can the person who was rejected by Berkeley share where they found that info? When I logged in to the site, nothing came up and my application still says "submitted".

(Sorry to hear about your rejection :()

Yeah same here. Wonder what the process is...

3 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

What would you suggest I do differently then? I don't know how else to spin my background and experience to get adcomm's to notice. It's hard not to lose self-worth when it took me so long and so much other personal issues to work through to get to this point. I'm just really emotionally drained and it just makes me question if I should I even consider doing this again.

Hi @pinoysoc, I am not sure if your question is rhetorical. If not, you're definitely welcome to message me with your materials. I was rejected from all US programs in 2013-2014 as an undergrad (including a program at Cornell). The difference between that cycle and this one is that I have learned how to demonstrate my potential through my statement of purpose and CV better, despite the fact that I went to a horribly unsupportive master's program in between and it showed in my grades with one professor in particular.

3 hours ago, crimsociol said:

I follow the advice of a person that I know with low GRE scores. I had low GRE scores, I re-took the test several times and I could not get higher scores (I even got Magoosh reimbursement because I got even lower scores than ever after taking their course and doing everything following the crazy time consuming plan of study. It's not that the program does not work it's just that I am horrible taking tests and at one point I block myself, it happened to me too with the Toefl when I applied to my masters in the U.S.). After that, I realized the GRE makes me miserable. I do not have publications in the U.S either, and I did not have time to get something out there before submitting my application. I got rejected from 8 schools last year, and this year my best GRE score was the same I used in the previous application cycle. What this person recommended me was to contact POI, I contacted over 90-100 professors and applied to almost 15 schools and 18 programs (I had to save a lot and my credit card is totally collapsed). I wrote a standard e-mail introducing myself and attached my CV and a research proposal I wrote. The e-mail asked professors their advice and thoughts regarding my proposal and regarding the application. Most of them did not reply, others did. I apply to a conference (American Society of Criminology), and I contacted all the professors I was interested in working with that were attending to the conference with this strategy. I got meetings with them during the conference and talk with them about my proposal, my work, etc (it was like having the chance to have a pre-interview), I think if the know you you are not just a file, and the look you differently, beyond your test scores. I do not know if this helps, but I appreciated this advice when my friend gave it to me. She also got rejected from all schools she applied the first time (PhD in History). For me this new strategy worked, if you still want to apply it may work for you too. You can apply to fewer schools that I did (my friend applied only to 4-5 programs) and she still got positive results (she is at Princeton history department).

I just wanted to say that this is excellent advice, and I'm happy it worked out for you :)

2 hours ago, qeta said:

Hi @pinoysoc, I am not sure if your question is rhetorical. If not, you're definitely welcome to message me with your materials. I was rejected from all US programs in 2013-2014 as an undergrad (including a program at Cornell). The difference between that cycle and this one is that I have learned how to demonstrate my potential through my statement of purpose and CV better, despite the fact that I went to a horribly unsupportive master's program in between and it showed in my grades with one professor in particular.

I'll send you a message as soon as I get home from work. I'm just mentally drained thinking of what else I'm doing wrong.  What I'm trying to ask is, how else can I stress the strengths and my experiences through those materials? I'm constantly updating my CV and I made sure that I highlighted the work experience and what I'm lacking through the SOP.

FML.

Or another note, I'm 0/3 as today - got the e-mail from Minnesota.

To be honest, I sound like the typical Filipino-American with "crab mentality" but it's so hard to be happy when I can't even figure out why I'm not getting into programs. Trust me, I thought getting a master's will make it easier, but I feel tired of competing with everyone else for a freaking spot. I wasn't good enough after undergrad and it looks like I'm not good enough today. FML.

I am angry right now. If it is all about the freaking scores then they should just say you need to have 95th percentile and 5.5-6 AWA. What’s the point of making a student write those Statements? Just take the scare and decide a fit! I have a super strong profile but a weak GRE and that decides my fate for each of these ‘great’ schools. The system is a failure. And then they conveniently say ‘sorry’ that we didn’t recognise talent. In a recent interview Harvard apologised to Jack Ma for being rejected 13 times. Why? Low scores. Wow am not sad I got rejected. Am happy. The school that recognised the hard work and research would be the right fit. Not one that decides a students caliber based on freaking scores. Not everyone is great at tests but can be great at writing. I have 11 publications, USAID grants, conferences, editorial experience, research experience...all that was just rendered useless in front of the scores. Great!

29 minutes ago, nandoswitharando said:

Rejected by Berkeley. Not surprised, but not upset either because I got into Harvard GSE a few hours ago :^) good luck to everyone else!

Congrats on the Harvard GSE acceptance! Is it a PhD program? I applied to one of their MA programs and haven't heard anything. 

15 minutes ago, HydrangeaJ said:

Congrats on the Harvard GSE acceptance! Is it a PhD program? I applied to one of their MA programs and haven't heard anything. 

PhD. I imagine MA results come out later, based on what I've seen from the results page. Fingers crossed for you!

2 hours ago, NinaMistina said:

To whomever posted the CUNY rejection, did you receive an email or did you inquire? Thanks!

And I am sorry you got rejected :( 

I didn't post on the result board, but I called and inquired. The person I spoke with was implying that all acceptances had been sent out.