2018 Acceptances

10 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

Waitlisted at UNC Chapel Hill!!!!!! They rejected me last year. 

Yayyy! Congrats! They rejected me the first time I applied. I know at least one person on the acceptances board said they plan to decline; hopefully this helps you! Are you going to the open house? I'm planning on going, so maybe I'll see you there. ^_^

Waves hello from Boston where I'm hoping against all odds that it's a yes at Northeastern. I'm seeing some invites to a fancy people party for Literature track folks. Any responses for Rhet/Comp?  

On 2/14/2018 at 11:06 AM, Melville said:

Just got this email: "It is with great pleasure that I write to inform you that you have been identified as one of the top applicants to Northeastern University's PhD program in English...we are inviting a select group to campus so that they can make a more informed decision about Northeastern if they are ultimately admitted to the doctoral program"

Feeling pretty good!!

This is the gnarly of gnarliest. Whatever will you wear? Jokes. But seriously speaking, can you tell me what track you applied for? Was it Lit? 

23 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

Waitlisted at UNC Chapel Hill!!!!!! They rejected me last year. 

Hey there! I’m pretty quiet on the boards,  but I’ve been waitlisted too! Also rejected last year, haha. I’m so so excited. 

My letter mentioned that the waitlist Ian unranked...any idea on how they decide who gets off the waitlist?

anyway congrats and maybe I’ll meet you in April!

1 hour ago, hopeleslie said:

Hey there! I’m pretty quiet on the boards,  but I’ve been waitlisted too! Also rejected last year, haha. I’m so so excited. 

My letter mentioned that the waitlist Ian unranked...any idea on how they decide who gets off the waitlist?

anyway congrats and maybe I’ll meet you in April!

Hi! Congrats! I think— and others should correct me if I’m wrong— that unranked waitlists are use to ensure that there is a diverse cohort composition. I’m 19th century American, so if the person the said yes to declines their offer, then they would select someone from the waitlist for 19th century American. I doubt it’s always 1:1 like that, but they do try to keep cohorts balanced. 

6 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

Hi! Congrats! I think— and others should correct me if I’m wrong— that unranked waitlists are use to ensure that there is a diverse cohort composition. I’m 19th century American, so if the person the said yes to declines their offer, then they would select someone from the waitlist for 19th century American. I doubt it’s always 1:1 like that, but they do try to keep cohorts balanced. 

I think you're spot on that. A school I was waitlisted at said that their list is not ranked ordered but they consider an "individual's research interests" and the "emerging composition of the incoming class."

49 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

Okay that definitely makes sense! Thank you!