2018 Acceptances

1 hour ago, LolaPuzzle said:

It's unclear if you have already applied for fall 2018 acceptance? The application deadlines were in December 2017 and January 18, so it's too late to apply for a PhD program for2018 now. And the schools' application systems won't typically open for applications until about September. If you've already applied, good luck!

Hello, 

sorry I didn’t explain myself properly . 

I haven’t applied yet.

I’m interested in a masters program and I was told the deadline was April via mail and over the telephone for fall 2018 admissions.

so my question 

1) is it too late to apply for fall 2018 since decisions are already being considered as I’d rather wait till spring 2019 than have a rejected offer.

2) if I am waitlisted after applying and there’s no spot for that fall 2018semester does it automatically mean I will be enrolled for spring 2019 or do I have to start another admission process again for spring 2019? 

3 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Who has the April 1st deadline? Yes, typically ph.d applications are closed, now. MA programs might still be open, though!

Upenn has the April deadline . I’m not applying for PhD positions, I’m applying for masters in earth sciences, hopefully fall 2018

3 hours ago, Warelin said:

Are you applying for an English degree or an Environmental Science degree? :) 

If an ES degree, than I'm afraid that we might not be the best people to answer that question. I think the board below would be able to provide you with much stronger answers though!

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/86-earth-sciences/

An environmental science degree. Oops thanks so much heading over there now ? 

At some point in the disaster that has been my application process, I submitted a PhD application to BSU (Ball State), completely missing that it was the only school on my list that required an MA first, so I called and had it switched to an MA. Although the smarter first move might have been to ask for the fee back, especially since I don't want to move for an MA.

Anyways, I got an acceptance email this morning, except it was a little bit of a shock because I somehow got mixed up a second time and thought I'd made this mistake with ANOTHER school. I'd gotten over it because this other school is in a location I don't really want to go to, so it seemed to be for the best. But BSU sounded nice, so I'd been waiting hopefully for their PhD decision. So that went great.

Best of luck, @Kilos!!!

Edited by hotpotato

11 minutes ago, hotpotato said:

Best of luck, @Kilos!!!

Thanks @hotpotato! Best of luck back at you.

I'm doing everything I can to not get my hopes up, but it's hard to be so close and so far at the same time.

If there's a silver lining, it's that I got into a fully funded MA program close to where I live. It's no perfect-fit-UConn-Ph.D. program, but I love the faculty and the school.

4 minutes ago, Kilos said:

got into

Yay!

a fully funded MA program

YAY!

close to where I live

YAY!!!

I love the faculty and the school

!!!!!!!

That's a lot of good stuff packed into a couple lines. Congratulations!

3 minutes ago, hotpotato said:

Yay!

YAY!

YAY!!!

!!!!!!!

That's a lot of good stuff packed into a couple lines. Congratulations!

Man, if you end up skipping grad school and you need a job, I'll hire you to be my hype guy. You just made my relatively glum day.

:)

40 minutes ago, Kilos said:

Man, if you end up skipping grad school and you need a job, I'll hire you to be my hype guy. You just made my relatively glum day.

Heck, hire me now. I'll accept IOUs and assorted snacks as payment until you're officially Dr. Kilos.

Fingers crossed, @evanmarie!

Edited by hotpotato

1 hour ago, Kilos said:

Just got a waitlist email from UConn. It's my top choice, so here's hoping enough people get in somewhere they'd rather go!

Congrats!! I also got waitlisted at UConn today! Very happy as I have strong interest in that program. 

47 minutes ago, evanmarie said:

Waitlisted at Uconn! I am apparently destined for the waitlist omg. 

1 hour ago, Kilos said:

Just got a waitlist email from UConn. It's my top choice, so here's hoping enough people get in somewhere they'd rather go!

@Melville @evanmarie @Kilos In all likelihood, I will turn down my UConn offer in the next week or so.

Edited by OceansAreBlue
Error

9 minutes ago, OceansAreBlue said:

@Melville @evanmarie @Kilos In all likelihood, I will turn down my UConn offer in the next week or so.

I'm excited to hear that! I'm even more excited that you seem to have an acceptance somewhere you'd rather go! Congratulations.

I've had a couple of other people tell me they're likely to decline as well. Here's hoping the waitlist isn't that long. :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Kilos said:

I'm excited to hear that! I'm even more excited that you seem to have an acceptance somewhere you'd rather go! Congratulations.

I've had a couple of other people tell me they're likely to decline as well. Here's hoping the waitlist isn't that long. :unsure:

I am in a different concentration than yours. Mine is Lit.

1 hour ago, Kilos said:

Thanks @hotpotato! Best of luck back at you.

I'm doing everything I can to not get my hopes up, but it's hard to be so close and so far at the same time.

If there's a silver lining, it's that I got into a fully funded MA program close to where I live. It's no perfect-fit-UConn-Ph.D. program, but I love the faculty and the school.

Like @hotpotatosaid: that’s so awesome!!!