2018 Acceptances

Hello!!! 

I’ve been a lurker on here for quite some time, but I figured I’d make myself known now. I’m one of the UVA acceptances, and I couldn’t be more excited! 

I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their acceptances so far and offer words of encouragement to everyone still waiting <3 I’m pulling for all of you to receive offers of admission to great programs!

Honestly, the positive energy on this thread has been such an encouraging presence in the application/waiting process, and I’m so glad that I’ve been able to share the craziness of the application cycle with all of you! 

22 minutes ago, Lalalalatinx_lit said:

Hello!!! 

I’ve been a lurker on here for quite some time, but I figured I’d make myself known now. I’m one of the UVA acceptances, and I couldn’t be more excited! 

Congratulations on UVA and welcome!!

46 minutes ago, Lalalalatinx_lit said:

Hello!!! 

I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their acceptances so far and offer words of encouragement to everyone still waiting <3 I’m pulling for all of you to receive offers of admission to great programs!

Honestly, the positive energy on this thread has been such an encouraging presence in the application/waiting process, and I’m so glad that I’ve been able to share the craziness of the application cycle with all of you! 

Congrats, you mind sharing any info on UVA? 

1 hour ago, Isocrates2.o said:

Yupp, Nebraska-Lincoln. That one I'm not funded for, though I'm on the waitlist, so I'm not sure I'd be helping you if I officially told them I wasn't interested. They're my last choice as far as the places I've been accepted to, though. Seeing as how they aren't going to fly me out to visit, it's unlikely I'd move to an unknown in Nebraska anyway. I'll likely end up turning them down in a few weeks, as they weren't really in my ideal plans to begin with. 

Good luck!

Thank you and I feel the same way - though the department has been pretty good at responding I'm not stoked about the acceptance and waiting on funding. My top choice is UCR (for a variety of reasons) and my friend who's in the PhD program now said they're making MORE decisions on Thursday of this week. I'm not sure when they'll send those out, but I'm hoping for something from them.  

14 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Congratulations on an awesome offer!!

Thanks! It's not an earth-shattering amount of money, but it's more than my other option, and my partner's funding package at UArk is just stupid big, so...I mean, we don't want to make this all about the money, but right now, it could easily be about the money!

Also, congrats to @JustPoesieAlong for the Georgia acceptance! They were one of my top picks for a loooooong time.

Edited by Melvillage_Idiot
More congratulations!

9 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Congrats, you mind sharing any info on UVA? 

Thank you!  

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon from the DGS followed by an email from him.  He pretty much just outlined my specific fellowship funding, visiting dates, etc. with a promise of more information to come.  Feel free to PM me if you have more questions

9 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

Thank you and I feel the same way - though the department has been pretty good at responding I'm not stoked about the acceptance and waiting on funding. My top choice is UCR (for a variety of reasons) and my friend who's in the PhD program now said they're making MORE decisions on Thursday of this week. I'm not sure when they'll send those out, but I'm hoping for something from them.  

Nice! What are your research interests? I've heard great things about UCR lately. 

23 minutes ago, Isocrates2.o said:

Nice! What are your research interests? I've heard great things about UCR lately. 

I'm Early Modern English. I apply poststructural Marxist feminism to Shakespeare plays to study capitalism at it's beginning (mercantile capitalism - Shakespeare himself invested in ships that came to the Americas for logging) and the effects of a transitioning society on women specifically through literature and the history of the period. 

4 hours ago, Melvillage_Idiot said:

Thanks! It's not an earth-shattering amount of money, but it's more than my other option, and my partner's funding package at UArk is just stupid big, so...I mean, we don't want to make this all about the money, but right now, it could easily be about the money!

Also, congrats to @JustPoesieAlong for the Georgia acceptance! They were one of my top picks for a loooooong time.

That's awesome. Especially when you consider cost of living in Arkansas! Congrats again on you and your partner landing a gig together. Academia is a crapshoot, so that really is an achievement.

10 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

Aaaand that's a waitlist for University of Pittsburgh! 

I'm accepting Stanford as a rejection (tbh, I knew when I applied it was a bad fit), so that means all the results are in! (Well, except for funding offers...) 

Now, just to decide...

Congrats on the Pitt waitlist! And for having all your results in. Do you know which way(s) you're leaning?

Perhaps one of us should start a decisions thread...

5 minutes ago, Pezpoet said:

Congrats on the Pitt waitlist! And for having all your results in. Do you know which way(s) you're leaning?

Perhaps one of us should start a decisions thread...

Thank you!!

I keep thinking I have a direction I'm leaning, but then something tips me the other way. Right now, I really need funding info from Madison and I need to know if I get this fellowship at OSU; I think that's going to end up playing a very big role in my decision. 

I just got an email to check my portal to see my admission decision for Wake Forest... who usually notify the 1st week of March. I've been yelling all week about how I need to get a decision already because I'm dying from the suspense, but now that I have one... I can't look at it. But I won't be able to think about anything else until I do, but I also have stuff to do before I'm emotionally devastated at my first response being a rejection. The email is so clinical, too. I can't tell if that's a bad sign - i.e. a rejection - or just a way for us not to be able to tell from the email alone.

Will update when I finally look at it... Yikes.

10 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

I just got an email to check my portal to see my admission decision for Wake Forest... who usually notify the 1st week of March. I've been yelling all week about how I need to get a decision already because I'm dying from the suspense, but now that I have one... I can't look at it. But I won't be able to think about anything else until I do, but I also have stuff to do before I'm emotionally devastated at my first response being a rejection. The email is so clinical, too. I can't tell if that's a bad sign - i.e. a rejection - or just a way for us not to be able to tell from the email alone.

Will update when I finally look at it... Yikes.

Sending you good vibes! 

I bit the bullet & checked.. I got in! Word regarding funding is supposed to come in a few days, & hopefully that will also be good news. Wake Forest is admittedly at the bottom of my list, but it's so nice to have an acceptance under my belt.

7 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

I bit the bullet & checked.. I got in! Word regarding funding is supposed to come in a few days, & hopefully that will also be good news. Wake Forest is admittedly at the bottom of my list, but it's so nice to have an acceptance under my belt.

Congrats on the acceptance!!! :)

12 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

Congratulations!!