2018 Acceptances

Congratulations @chouette @Crow T. Robot @OceansAreBlue @Warelin @LeeLeeCzechIrish @colin_cloute @Kilos @evanmarie and anyone else I missed yesterday!

Also, congrats to @hotpotato...I think. Or condolences on getting into the masters? You don't seem jazzed haha

@Mellowyellow ahh sorry for the delay; I am at a conference and only intermittently checking the café--I am not sure! I saw a waitlist go up on the boards in addition to my acceptance, but I don't know if that means they're done. If I remember right, they've notified over 2 (business?) days a few of the past years. Holding out hope for your friend!

And massive massive congrats to everyone who's gotten good news over this very eventful week!!

2 hours ago, Metaevalist said:

Congrats! Are you planning on going to the Welcome Weekend?

Hopefully?? I don't even know when it is... I just received a standard "Congratulations, you're admitted!" e-mail from the graduate school and have a positive decision in my student portal, so I'm waiting (patiently, so patiently) for someone in the English program to confirm funding / visiting / that this isn't some sort of joke :-) I'm worried I might have to keep waiting it out for a bit with the long weekend.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has heard from Penn State? I had a great interview a little over two weeks ago and my status hasn't changed in the portal, but I haven't heard anything. Is this a good sign or a bad one? I'm trying not to let my nerves get the best of me, but this is my number one school.

5 hours ago, KatVW said:

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has heard from Penn State? I had a great interview a little over two weeks ago and my status hasn't changed in the portal, but I haven't heard anything. Is this a good sign or a bad one? I'm trying not to let my nerves get the best of me, but this is my number one school.

I notice your interests are German and German Art. Did you apply to Penn State's English program or Penn State's German program? I ask because I've never heard of Penn State's English conducting interviews. I don't know much about Penn State's German interviews but other programs take anywhere from 1-4 weeks to make a decision after the completion of interviews. Good luck!

2 hours ago, maengret said:

Curious if any other Iowa State folks have received formal offers yet?

@canadianchart @mk-8 @HopefulRhetorician

I emailed the DGS to know the status of my application. She sent me an email saying that I was accepted with funding, but no "formal" offer yet. But I do have a phone call with her tonight! From the sounds of her email, it seemed as though they were sending out other acceptances (MA particularly) this week. 

15 minutes ago, canadianchart said:

I emailed the DGS to know the status of my application. She sent me an email saying that I was accepted with funding, but no "formal" offer yet. But I do have a phone call with her tonight! From the sounds of her email, it seemed as though they were sending out other acceptances (MA particularly) this week. 

Thanks. Hope the call goes well! I’m waiting for the “formal” offer, too, but went ahead and booked the trip to visit in the meantime.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:42 AM, M(allthevowels)H said:

Also, congrats to @hotpotato...I think. Or condolences on getting into the masters? You don't seem jazzed haha

Haha well, I'm a little upset because it seems like a really cool PhD program fit-wise, and they have a program where they work with K-12 English teachers, which is something I'm definitely interested in, so I'm salty that I screwed up and ended up having to apply to the MA! If I were to do an MA this year to prepare for reapplying to PhDs later, I probably wouldn't relocate to another state since there are MA options where I could live with my parents and save money that way. I am happy I didn't get rejected though!

23 hours ago, canadianchart said:

Got into Iowa State!!! 

Congrats!!

10 minutes ago, hotpotato said:

Haha well, I'm a little upset because it seems like a really cool PhD program fit-wise, and they have a program where they work with K-12 English teachers, which is something I'm definitely interested in, so I'm salty that I screwed up and ended up having to apply to the MA! If I were to do an MA this year to prepare for reapplying to PhDs later, I probably wouldn't relocate to another state since there are MA options where I could live with my parents and save money that way. I am happy I didn't get rejected though!

Well, congrats to this and good luck on the next thing :-)

53 minutes ago, hotpotato said:

You could always ask to see what their process for admission to the PHD is. Some schools have 'non-competitive' admission into their PHD. :)

@Warelin I initially applied to the PhD, but they require an MA for entry into their PhD. I completely missed this somehow even though I had a spreadsheet and all these notes on the schools I was applying to. I didn't realize until they emailed me to ask for my MA transcript!

@hotpotato: Sorry about that. If I'm understanding this correctly: You have an MA offer from this school. You're interested in the same school's PHD program. But you're currently not eligible for the PHD program because it requires an MA first. You don't want to move to another state for an MA.  However, different schools require different things for internal applicants than they do for external PHD applicants. I'd ask the school what the process would be if you were to enroll as an MA student and were interested in continuing to do a PHD there. Some schools treat internal/external applications the same, others put them into separate piles, and there are some that autoaccept internal applicants. I'd try to find out the program's stance on it. :)

7 minutes ago, Warelin said:

However, different schools require different things for internal applicants than they do for external PHD applicants. I'd ask the school what the process would be if you were to enroll as an MA student and were interested in continuing to do a PHD there. [...] I'd try to find out the program's stance on it. :)

Oh, sorry, I wasn't sure what you meant! I see now. Thank you, this is a very helpful tip. I hadn't even thought of anything like it. I'll definitely check with them.

Edited by hotpotato

17 hours ago, maengret said:

Curious if any other Iowa State folks have received formal offers yet?

@canadianchart @mk-8 @HopefulRhetorician

Still waiting on the “formal” offer myself. In the meantime, I booked my trip and I’ll see y’all in Ames next weekend!