2018 Acceptances

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

It is a holiday but many universities are still open!

1 hour ago, CulturalCriminal said:

Most schools are open. Those that aren’t may also use the day to contact.

Brown and BU have not been answering their phones so they might be closed. Or just really don't want to be bothered. :lol:

18 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Brown and BU have not been answering their phones so they might be closed. Or just really don't want to be bothered. :lol:

I got an email from Brown today so I don't think they are closed. 

1 hour ago, hibiscus said:

So am I right in thinking its a holiday in the states today? So no acceptances?

Most (ehh, the schools I have attended) don't take president's day off. I know our campus isn't closed today and I've been in contact with another program. Now Spring Break could be a different story, but that shouldn't be for another 2-3 weeks for most colleges. 

Can anyone confirm that all Berkeley acceptances have in fact gone out? I realize the couple weeks between acceptances & rejections is Berkeley's MO, but it would still be *so* great if someone in the know could put this to rest :wacko: :D Thank you!!!

Edited by boondoggle

n00b question: how is everyone inferring these "implied rejections"? Is it that when you see others have been accepted to/waitlisted by a school, and you have heard nothing from that school, you can therefore assume that you are most likely on their reject list? Or some other method still mysterious to me?

Glancing at threads, I see the topic of how/why/when to predict outcomes has been belabored extensively. But I'm missing something here with the implied rejects and, like everyone else, I'm trying to make sure I have the unquestionably valid, exact right amount of hope–no more, no less. 

P.S. congrats to all accepted.

Edited by It_Must_Be_Abstract

4 minutes ago, It_Must_Be_Abstract said:

n00b question: how is everyone inferring these "implied rejections"? 

Hi there! Some schools do interviews before they decide on admissions, so those of us who didn't get invited to interview for, say, Emory, can pretty much assume we're rejected. I believe most other "implied rejections" are going off of information on the results board (i.e., have notifications gone out, how have they gone out historically, etc.).

Got into University of Georgia! I think, anyway. No email, just an update on the portal that says "Offer of admission." 

The user who got an error from U-Mich breaks my heart and awakens all my worst fears! I'm so scared of getting an email that says, "Oops, sorry, not you. Our bad." 

4 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Got into University of Georgia! I think, anyway. No email, just an update on the portal that says "Offer of admission." 

The user who got an error from U-Mich breaks my heart and awakens all my worst fears! I'm so scared of getting an email that says, "Oops, sorry, not you. Our bad." 

Congrats!

8 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Congrats!!

14 minutes ago, It_Must_Be_Abstract said:

n00b question: how is everyone inferring these "implied rejections"? Is it that when you see others have been accepted to/waitlisted by a school, and you have heard nothing from that school, you can therefore assume that you are most likely on their reject list? Or some other method still mysterious to me?

Glancing at threads, I see the topic of how/why/when to predict outcomes has been belabored extensively. But I'm missing something here with the implied rejects and, like everyone else, I'm trying to make sure I have the unquestionably valid, exact right amount of hope–no more, no less. 

P.S. congrats to all accepted.

It depends on the school. Like @JustPoesieAlong said some places interview all candidates (some don't, but some do). For my slice of implied rejection, CU Boulder is only taking 4 people this cycle, and there's an acceptance and waitlist on the board. I've heard of a second acceptance through a friend while I've gotten nothing so...math. Depressing depressing math.

19 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

It depends on the school. Like @JustPoesieAlong said some places interview all candidates (some don't, but some do). For my slice of implied rejection, CU Boulder is only taking 4 people this cycle, and there's an acceptance and waitlist on the board. I've heard of a second acceptance through a friend while I've gotten nothing so...math. Depressing depressing math.

Yeah, I would call it a rejection once acceptances and waitlists are on the board and days have passed. I am also counting CU Boulder an implied rejection.

22 hours ago, Isocrates2.o said:

I haven't heard anything from Penn State, but I applied to their English program. Response time should vary based on department.

Sorry, I'm not replying to this but I wanted to ask: I note in your signature that you've also gotten into Nebraska - is that Nebraska-Lincoln and did you get funded? I got accepted but wait listed on funding. I was told it was a pretty short wait list and I'm near the top. I'm just wondering if 1) you have an offer for funding there and 2) if it's one of your top programs since I note you were accepted to others. Thanks!

2 hours ago, clinamen said:

Yeah, I would call it a rejection once acceptances and waitlists are on the board and days have passed. I am also counting CU Boulder an implied rejection.

Where can you check the boards? Can they be found on university websites?

6 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

Sorry, I'm not replying to this but I wanted to ask: I note in your signature that you've also gotten into Nebraska - is that Nebraska-Lincoln and did you get funded? I got accepted but wait listed on funding. I was told it was a pretty short wait list and I'm near the top. I'm just wondering if 1) you have an offer for funding there and 2) if it's one of your top programs since I note you were accepted to others. Thanks!

Yupp, Nebraska-Lincoln. That one I'm not funded for, though I'm on the waitlist, so I'm not sure I'd be helping you if I officially told them I wasn't interested. They're my last choice as far as the places I've been accepted to, though. Seeing as how they aren't going to fly me out to visit, it's unlikely I'd move to an unknown in Nebraska anyway. I'll likely end up turning them down in a few weeks, as they weren't really in my ideal plans to begin with. 

Good luck!