2018 Acceptances

9 minutes ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

First acceptance of my second round of applications came from Wake Forest today. I was also offered a full tuition scholarship. It's not my first choice, but I'm happy to have some positive news this year, since last year's applications were all bummers. 

Congrats! Out of curiosity, what is your first choice? :)

9 minutes ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

First acceptance of my second round of applications came from Wake Forest today. I was also offered a full tuition scholarship. It's not my first choice, but I'm happy to have some positive news this year, since last year's applications were all bummers. 

Congrats! I was also accepted to Wake Forest today.

13 hours ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

Congrats! Funding is nothing to sneeze at, plus they have easily they best/weirdest mascot in the game.

4 minutes ago, Melville said:

Has anyone heard from Stony Brook or BU?

We called Boston University and they said they haven't gotten through their first round of applications yet. Apparently they "want to be done by the end of February, but would conservatively estimate decisions coming in March." So, prepare to be in it for the long haul into March!

3 minutes ago, punctilious said:

We called Boston University and they said they haven't gotten through their first round of applications yet. Apparently they "want to be done by the end of February, but would conservatively estimate decisions coming in March." So, prepare to be in it for the long haul into March!

Thank you!! 

I guess I'll post it here, thought it's not really an acceptance. Got a personalized email for NYU on my rejection from the PhD program, but I was accepted to the MA program. All students receive a 50% tuition waiver (not for fees). No teaching or additional funding opportunities. I've asked for more information but without full funding I'm not sure how I would be able to accept it.

Edited by WildeThing

5 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Sorry I've been gone for about a week, everybody! Thesis writing caught up with me. Anyway, I have some good news!

I wasn't accepted into NYU's PhD program, but I got into the English MA with a good amount of funding! This is my first bit of good news so I'm very excited!

Oh that’s awesome, though! I’m sure the MA is the right solution for you and your next round of applications!

6 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Sorry I've been gone for about a week, everybody! Thesis writing caught up with me. Anyway, I have some good news!

I wasn't accepted into NYU's PhD program, but I got into the English MA with a good amount of funding! This is my first bit of good news so I'm very excited!

Yaaaay! I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

6 minutes ago, jpbends said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so glad to hear you've gotten some good news!

7 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Congrats! I'm waiting to hear too and hope I get the same news!

5 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

I guess I'll post it here, thought it's not really an acceptance. Got a personalized email for NYU on my rejection from the PhD program, but I was accepted to the MA program. All students receive a 50% tuition waiver (not for fees). No teaching or additional funding opportunities. I've asked for more information but without full funding I'm not sure how I would be able to accept it.

Hmm, that is a tough one. That could leave a pretty steep price, especially since it's New York. I think there are some people on this forum who could speak more to whether it's worth it to pay for an MA (@a_sort_of_fractious_angel?).

5 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Thank you! I think it's also important to note (for me, at least) that I'm also interviewing to be a graduate RA as well, so living expenses would also be covered (meaning less debt/expensive)!

That is great! Its a top school so an MA from there would be prestigious and, I'm sure, rigorous. Probably will open new doors! Congrats!

I was also admitted to the MA program at NYU with 50% funding. It was my dream school, so I'm kinda sad that it isn't a financially feasible offer. However, they said in the email that most of their successful Ph.D. applicants already have MA degrees, so perhaps a few years from now, I'll have a better shot :)

12 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Hmm, that is a tough one. That could leave a pretty steep price, especially since it's New York. I think there are some people on this forum who could speak more to whether it's worth it to pay for an MA (@a_sort_of_fractious_angel?).

Happy to chat about unfunded MAs @WildeThing, if it's something you're going to seriously consider - just shoot me a PM. All of them require a "Here There Be Dragons" approach and some with a side of "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter."

7 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Happy to chat about unfunded MAs @WildeThing, if it's something you're going to seriously consider - just shoot me a PM. All of them require a "Here There Be Dragons" approach and some with a side of "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter."

I might take you up on that once the rest of the dominos fall, but as a foreigner my payment avenues are very limited so it just might not be feasible, regardless of whether it is practical.

3 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

I might take you up on that once the rest of the dominos fall, but as a foreigner my payment avenues are very limited so it just might not be feasible, regardless of whether it is practical.

Sounds good - finances come first, always. And there's no problem to which an unfunded MA is the only solution.

First acceptance to the NYU M.A. program!!! After so many rejections I was prepping for the worst. I'm still waiting on Rutgers to tell me yes/no before I find out if I have a PhD option, so I will also be considering the risk of the financial M.A. plunge. I might honestly just do it, though. I'm really happy with myself for having gotten something for my effort!!

56 minutes ago, katie64 said:

I have still heard absolutely nothing so far! I really hope I do soon, as that would alleviate some of the job stress I'm currently feeling. :(

I feel your pain! Have heard very little myself.

14 minutes ago, Cormacc said:

First acceptance to the NYU M.A. program!!! After so many rejections I was prepping for the worst. I'm still waiting on Rutgers to tell me yes/no before I find out if I have a PhD option, so I will also be considering the risk of the financial M.A. plunge. I might honestly just do it, though. I'm really happy with myself for having gotten something for my effort!!

Congrats!!