2018 Acceptances

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from attending their dream school, but if any of you with half funding or partial funding are seriously interested in an MA program, your best bet is definitely to look into the fully funded programs that exist. I'm sure some of the more tenured members of the board can back this up, but an MA is an MA, and its "prestige" is significantly less important than a PhD for a whole variety of reasons. 

I'm also relatively sure that there are still funded MA programs taking students for the fall, so it may be worth your time to look into schools with March application deadlines. 

7 minutes ago, Hermenewtics said:

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from attending their dream school, but if any of you with half funding or partial funding are seriously interested in an MA program, your best bet is definitely to look into the fully funded programs that exist. I'm sure some of the more tenured members of the board can back this up, but an MA is an MA, and its "prestige" is significantly less important than a PhD for a whole variety of reasons. 

I'm also relatively sure that there are still funded MA programs taking students for the fall, so it may be worth your time to look into schools with March application deadlines. 

I think its important to note, however, if one is looking for a "prestigious" school, as some people are, an elite MA could help you get into an elite PhD. The NYU program can be done in 3 semesters and with 60% tuition break it may be worth it for some people. It seems that so many people are discouraging those who got into the MA at NYU because it is not fully funded, but perhaps it could be a good idea for someone. It is ranked very high and I am sure that is for a reason. It must be rigorous and some people thrive on rigor. Think it over carefully accepted people, especially if it is the only option available. 

4 minutes ago, Melville said:

I think its important to note, however, if one is looking for a "prestigious" school, as some people are, an elite MA could help you get into an elite PhD. The NYU program can be done in 3 semesters and with 60% tuition break it may be worth it for some people. It seems that so many people are discouraging those who got into the MA at NYU because it is not fully funded, but perhaps it could be a good idea for someone. It is ranked very high and I am sure that is for a reason. It must be rigorous and some people thrive on rigor. Think it over carefully accepted people, especially if it is the only option available. 

I understand the sentiment, but it's still an MA program, and as those who have experienced things like Chicago's MAPH program will tell you, sometimes these condensed, expensive degrees offered at these sorts of institutions are just more intense, but they come without the time and opportunities you get at a 2 year funded program. Either way, though, I'm happy for those of you who got in, I'm just saying that it's worth doing some homework before you accumulate that kind of debt in a condensed MA program. 

21 minutes ago, Hermenewtics said:

I understand the sentiment, but it's still an MA program, and as those who have experienced things like Chicago's MAPH program will tell you, sometimes these condensed, expensive degrees offered at these sorts of institutions are just more intense, but they come without the time and opportunities you get at a 2 year funded program. Either way, though, I'm happy for those of you who got in, I'm just saying that it's worth doing some homework before you accumulate that kind of debt in a condensed MA program. 

I think it's a little too late, now, for funded MA's. But they can check them out!

30 minutes ago, Hermenewtics said:

As someone who is in a funded MA program, I want to second the "please be careful about unfunded MAs" sentiment. An MA in English/Rhetoric guarantees you nothing - maybe even less than nothing! Taking out a sizable amount of debt for that is terrifying to me personally, but if you had a clear, concrete plan for that MA where all paths did not necessarily lead to academia, then it might be worth it.

If your goal is a PhD, there is plenty you could do to bolster your application that does not include taking thousands of dollars out in loans. You could take one or two courses (which would be significantly cheaper!) You could rewrite your SOP and WS. You could retake the GREs. You could get new LORs. Last round, I was lucky enough to have a professor on an adcom tell me with pretty brutal honesty what was wrong with my application. For me, concerns were raised about my GPA, so additional coursework was needed. Even if you're not that lucky, you can still ask your recommenders to do an "autopsy" and see where the problems might be. 

If, however, you're independently wealthy, then of course do as you please! If not, think carefully about that unfunded MA and what you would get out of it.

16 hours ago, Warelin said:

Congrats! Out of curiosity, what is your first choice? :)

Thanks! Either Villanova or CofC because of the location. 

16 hours ago, sarahchristine said:

Congrats! I was also accepted to Wake Forest today.

12 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

Congrats @theburiedgirl815!!

3 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Congrats! Funding is nothing to sneeze at, plus they have easily they best/weirdest mascot in the game.

Thanks, all!

Congratulations @jpbends @WildeThing @mads47 @Akillesheel and @Cormacc on your NYU MA acceptances! 

There seem to be a lot of gradcafe success stories from people who are very glad they did they accepted the MA option (though I know this is touchy because of funding). Congratulations, whatever you decide :-)

30 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Congratulations @jpbends @WildeThing @mads47 @Akillesheel and @Cormacc on your NYU MA acceptances! 

There seem to be a lot of gradcafe success stories from people who are very glad they did they accepted the MA option (though I know this is touchy because of funding). Congratulations, whatever you decide :-)

Yes, congrats to all y'all. 

Also, congrats to this thread. I've pored over a lot of the past threads debating the unfunded/partially funded/funded MA here and elsewhere and (being only somewhat biased toward the thoughts of our application cohort because, well, we're a cohort and a TEAM of INTErNET FRIEnDS) I really do think this is arguably the best version of that debate that I've seen.

7 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Also, congrats to this thread. I've pored over a lot of the past threads debating the unfunded/partially funded/funded MA here and elsewhere and (being only somewhat biased toward the thoughts of our application cohort because, well, we're a cohort and a TEAM of INTErNET FRIEnDS) I really do think this is arguably the best version of that debate that I've seen.

Yeah, I have to say that you all are basically the best. I'm not even an applicant but you all have been wonderful and helpful and kind! :) 

8 minutes ago, writersquire said:

To the folks who have heard from UConn already--what track did you apply to? I'm rhet/comp and I'm wondering if people who've received acceptances/been waitlisted are looking to do lit or rhet/comp and if,  by extension, I should assumed I'm rejected or still hold onto hope. 

I'm waitlisted Eng Lit.

I got an acceptance at the University of Mississippi! This is super early, even given the last timeline I was told, but my acceptance was attached to a different fellowship so that may be why. Did we ever get that "How important are rankings anyway?" thread up and running? Because I love Ole Miss so much and everything about their program just gels with me...but I feel like I should probably defer to more experienced voices in regards to how much weight I should give that.

12 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

I got an acceptance at the University of Mississippi! This is super early, even given the last timeline I was told, but my acceptance was attached to a different fellowship so that may be why. Did we ever get that "How important are rankings anyway?" thread up and running? Because I love Ole Miss so much and everything about their program just gels with me...but I feel like I should probably defer to more experienced voices in regards to how much weight I should give that.

Congratulations!!! You are on a roll! I think it's been discussed a bit on a few different threads. Overall, the consensus seems to be that the rankings don't mean much, and you should analyze each school holistically based on your needs. I'd also take a long, hard look at placement records.

41 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Congrats! Also, echoing what @punctilious said about ratings -- program fit and post-graduate placement are probably the more important metrics.

1 hour ago, writersquire said:

To the folks who have heard from UConn already--what track did you apply to? I'm rhet/comp and I'm wondering if people who've received acceptances/been waitlisted are looking to do lit or rhet/comp and if,  by extension, I should assumed I'm rejected or still hold onto hope. 

Accepted for literature last Friday. If it is any consolation, the DGS said they took a smaller class this year (probably because of abysmal job market). Hope Rhet/Comp is not done and you hear good news!! 

1 hour ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

This is super early, even given the last timeline I was told, but my acceptance was attached to a different fellowship so that may be why. Did we ever get that "How important are rankings anyway?" thread up and running?

@M(allthevowels)H, I'd recommend checking out this thread: 

There's a lot of wisdom in it about rankings, program prestige, the academic job market, etc., that might answer some of your questions. 

2 hours ago, Melville said:

I'm waitlisted Eng Lit.

1 hour ago, LeeLeeCzechIrish said:

Accepted for literature last Friday. If it is any consolation, the DGS said they took a smaller class this year (probably because of abysmal job market). Hope Rhet/Comp is not done and you hear good news!! 

Thanks to both of you for your replies! Fingers crossed for you Melville and (assuming you're going) best of luck at Uconn LeeLeeCzechIrish! 

13 minutes ago, writersquire said:

Thanks to both of you for your replies! Fingers crossed for you Melville and (assuming you're going) best of luck at Uconn LeeLeeCzechIrish! 

Thank you writersquire!!

23 hours ago, Warelin said:

It may or may not. One of my letter writers has been on sabbatical this entire year. But she still took the time to meet with me and other students for letter of recommendations and to attend some campus events. :)

Would you be living in Philadelphia if you accepted Delaware's offer?

OH NO. That would be too much of a commute; we plan to live in Newark itself; plan to do on campus family housing.

23 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Yay! And yea - funding is important (at least for me). UD definitely offered something sweet and the university (with its proximity to Philly and its 'burbs) will have a ton of employment opportunities. 

I think her being there is 50/50 - depends on what she's doing with the sabbatical. Like @Warelin, one my LWs was on sabbatical but she made time to read and respond to my stuff.

Do you think you could email the DGS to ask? Even if she's not around physically, you could see if was OK to email her and get a conversation going (provided she's not somewhere with 0 internet or is super busy) - I imagined she'd want to hear from a potential student! 

Glad to hear that I am thinking correctly with my gut in terms of employment opportunities :)