23 minutes ago, bdeck said:

Has anyone gotten formal rejection letters? I have only gotten one rejection from my POI but haven't received any formal rejection emails or letters. Is this abnormal?

Nope. I haven't received any official rejections from POI or otherwise. A lot of places wait until after offers are made to send out rejections. 

30 minutes ago, bdeck said:

Has anyone gotten formal rejection letters? I have only gotten one rejection from my POI but haven't received any formal rejection emails or letters. Is this abnormal?

I got an official rejection from UCLA the yesterday, and based on the results page Michigan and Duke also sent out rejections this week. My guess is that schools rejecting folks this early already have their first, second, and waitlist choices figured out. 

I'm wondering if for some of my schools (which have already posted rejections) what my status is if mine hasn't changed in the portal. Though I'm of the 'no news is bad news' camp so I'm either waitlisted or lost to the void...

School: Nebraska-Lincoln
Area/Degree: Clinical
Rationalization: Not greatest GRE scores, plus there was a ton of applicants.
Comment: Not too upset about it, my POI wasn't very friendly when we interacted with each other.
Coping tactics: Knew it was coming since I saw offers had already been sent out. Chalked it up to if they don't want me, then I don't want to be there either! Going to focus on the interviews I have!

6 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

I'm wondering if for some of my schools (which have already posted rejections) what my status is if mine hasn't changed in the portal. Though I'm of the 'no news is bad news' camp so I'm either waitlisted or lost to the void...

I'm the same. I know some offers have gone out and at least one rejection (according to the results page). But I'm in limbo, so... 

School: University of Nebraska - Lincoln 
Area/Degree: Clinical Psychology PhD
Rationalization: Low/average GRE scores (specifically quant score) given large pool of applicants
Comment: Applied to multiple POIs; all seemed very friendly after initial contact email
Coping tactics: :P https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ne/lincoln/crime/

School: Central Michigan University
Rationalization: Low/average GRE scores and POI research interest fit not exactly aligned
Comment: 117 applicants with 5 openings 
Coping tactics: Still waiting to hear from 10 programs

On 1/15/2017 at 9:25 PM, byn said:

Someone created this last year and I thought it was a great idea to get different perspectives and see how others were coping with their rejections! :) I think it will be good for us to start one this year, and begin to decompress/start thinking of plan B (or C, or D, E.. etc) after rejections come trickling in.

Use the following template if it helps!

School
Area/Degree:
Rationalization:
Comment:
Coping tactics:

-Carnegie mellon

-master of fine art 

- i need to do more research and need to make more work. Clearly they are looking for something specific. But i applied to 3 more schools. Which i feel i will get rejected becAuse i got rejected once and i want to die lol sorry for the drama. But i want to do genuine research under an advisor with direction .. but it didnt happen. Im sad. Im Drunk. Sorry 

- grieving....

- i am coping by thinking ... well, i have another year! a year where i can do more research on my own! Expand my knowledge. Deepen my understanding. A lot of time to explore and do and make and think. So better luck next yr... 

?????

also this is clearly a Psych folder.. but oh well ❤

Edited by Causofit

3 hours ago, HigherEdPsych said:

School: University of Nebraska - Lincoln 
Rationalization: Low/average GRE scores (specifically quant score) given large pool of applicants
Comment: Applied to multiple POIs; all seemed very friendly after initial contact email
Coping tactics: :P https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ne/lincoln/crime/

School: Central Michigan University
Rationalization: Low/average GRE scores and POI research interest fit not exactly aligned
Comment: 117 applicants with 5 openings 
Coping tactics: Still waiting to hear from 10 programs

That crime stat was savage! :D 

School: Duke University
Area/Degree: Cognitive Psych/ Phd
Rationalization: POI was probably not taking many students
Comment: Applied to a single POI, who was not sure if she would be taking any students.
Coping tactics: None, as I am waiting better results from the other 4 programs I applied to. This was my least fitting -and least fitting- application, so I'm not surprised either.

15 hours ago, Causofit said:

-Carnegie mellon

-master of fine art 

- i need to do more research and need to make more work. Clearly they are looking for something specific. But i applied to 3 more schools. Which i feel i will get rejected becAuse i got rejected once and i want to die lol sorry for the drama. But i want to do genuine research under an advisor with direction .. but it didnt happen. Im sad. Im Drunk. Sorry 

- grieving....

- i am coping by thinking ... well, i have another year! a year where i can do more research on my own! Expand my knowledge. Deepen my understanding. A lot of time to explore and do and make and think. So better luck next yr... 

?????

also this is clearly a Psych folder.. but oh well ❤

We're psych majors... we're good at listening ;)

What's the format... oh

School: university of Tennessee Knoxville 

program: experimental

coping tactic?: I'm catching up on leisure reading... movies... games... etc. it's the only thing that keeps me from refreshing my email fifty times per hour. Got to stay busy. Collective coping also helps (thanks guys).  I applied to a lab that was heavily neuro. I have lots of endocrinology experience but little to no neuro experience, so I feel my waitlist is justified. But it doesn't make me want it any less ? This is also the ONLY school I've had an interview with. I'm starting to get very nervous. 

School: Boston College
Area/Degree: Counseling PhD
Rationalization: "we're scared about you being young" will be dressed up as "lack of experience" in my formal rejection letter 
Comment: No official rejection but given that people have already received interview invites I'm assuming I've been rejected as well. 
Coping tactics: Hunting for jobs with insurance benefits, reminding myself that the last five years of my life have been a complete and total waste of time and to stop trying to make fetch/PhD happen. 

2 hours ago, academicbirb said:

School: Boston College
Rationalization: "we're scared about you being young" will be dressed up as "lack of experience" in my formal rejection letter 
Comment: No official rejection but given that people have already received interview invites I'm assuming I've been rejected as well. 
Coping tactics: Hunting for jobs with insurance benefits, reminding myself that the last five years of my life have been a complete and total waste of time and to stop trying to make fetch/PhD happen. 

I'm sorry :/ If I remember from another post this isn't your first time applying right (and you have a legitimate restriction on where your can apply)? How was your fit with your POIs? Mine were dang near on the level of 'stars aligned' for me to even get pre-interviews/interviews last cycle (didn't get in) and this one (applied 4 years later due to various reasons). Its not easy and MANY applicants who are qualified get turned away; doesn't make it sting any less and doesn't mean you're less worth or that your last couple of years definitely weren't a waste. If you decide to apply again maybe write down each potential POI and a blurb of their work and have your mentors or another teacher/a grad student/a senior member on the board rate how well you match up based on your CV/experiences?

I wish you luck on whatever path you pursue!

Edited by 8BitJourney

School Name: Georgia State University
Area/Degree: Counseling Psychology
Rationalization: Who knows. Too many known and unknown variables to consider.
Comment: Emailed program, received email stating all invites have been extended.
Coping Tactics: Prepping for interviews and doing school work.

3 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

I'm sorry :/ If I remember from another post this isn't your first time applying right (and you have a legitimate restriction on where your can apply)? How was your fit with your POIs? Mine were dang near on the level of 'stars aligned' for me to even get pre-interviews/interviews last cycle (didn't get in) and this one (applied 4 years later due to various reasons). Its not easy and MANY applicants who are qualified get turned away; doesn't make it sting any less and doesn't mean you're less worthy or that your last couple of years were a waste. If you decide to apply again maybe write down each potential POI and a blurb of their work and have your mentors or another teacher/a grad student/a senior member on the board rate how well you match up based on your CV/experiences?

I wish you luck on whatever path you pursue!

Ughh my reply was a mess but you get what I mean! **Sign that I should get off the forums and focus on anything else!**

School: SUNY Albany
Rationalization: Too many applicants?
Comment: Stinks, wanted to stay in my home state 
Coping tactics: Focusing on interview prep 

School: IUP
Area/Degree: Clinical PsyD
Rationalization: Too many applicants?
Comment: They rejected me the day after the deadline, that kinda stung to be rejected so quickly
Coping tactics: Focusing on interview prep

School: SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program
Area/Degree: Clinical Psychology, PhD
Rationalization: Many qualified applicants- over 400 applications for 15 spots. I knew it a was a big reach going into it, but I had some hope.
Comment: None
Coping tactics: None. It would have been awesome if it worked out, but I saw it coming.

School: University of Kansas
Area/Degree: Social Psychology PhD
Rationalization: 82 applicants for 4 spots
Comment: none
Coping tactics: Lesson planning for the job I have now- and trying not to obsessively check my email

School: SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program, U of Houston (presumed), WashU/WUSTL in St. Louis
(Presumed),

Area/Degree: Clinical Psychology, PhD
Rationalization: SDSU/UCSD was a reach because my psych gre scores were average. I have a background
in the medical/neuroscientific perspectives of psych and virtually no training in developmental/social psych,
so naturally I will do poorly on a test that is ~75% social/developmental. For U of H, my research interests
didn't really match well with my POI (I'd be shifting concentrations within a sub-speciality and that's not
something I really want to do anyways). WashU hurts the most because my POI was very receptive to my
emails before I applied and basically indicated that I should be getting an interview based on my qualifications. 

Coping tactics: Prepping for all my other interviews (and internally screaming at my shrinking bank account),
hoping for an acceptance from the school I interviewed at a week ago, working on a first-author pub I have
that's in revision with a high impact factor journal, and finishing out my undergrad strong. 

I also interviewed for a program a few days ago and, although it was already one of my top choices, there is so much silence from the programs I applied to that getting accepted would likely be so much sweeter. 

Ugh yeah WashU/WUSTL stung bad for me as well. Also had a very receptive POI. Was really hoping I'd get it. Don't give up hope on other schools though!

On 1/25/2017 at 9:45 AM, PNIplz said:

Ugh yeah WashU/WUSTL stung bad for me as well. Also had a very receptive POI. Was really hoping I'd get it. Don't give up hope on other schools though!

Very similar situation for myself also, I just chose not to report my psych gre. My neuro/bio percentile score was like 90th percentile or something like that but my social was around 20-30th :(