Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
smntoronto

Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

10 posts in this topic

Hey there, 

This is my first time using Grad Cafe, not sure if I'm posting in the right spot but I'm interested to hear from those of you who are applying for an MSW anywhere in Canada in 2018. What kind of work experience is most relevant? I've potentially found a job working in the registration department at the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario screening applicants from prospective therapists - would you say that looks favourable on an MSW application?

Thanks for your input!

Hi Smntoronto,

Thanks for creating this board! I was having trouble finding other applicants for 2018 and I thought I was being overly anxious!  This is also my first time using Grad Cafe but it seems like a supportive community so I am super excited about that. I would saw that experience sounds awesome. I am personally a little nervous about my lack of experience in the social services as I come from a film background but I am hoping some of my differences will be an advantage as it will help me stand out a little. I think those who are in MSW programs currently could probably answer your questions best. What schools are you hoping to apply to? 

Hey GradApplicant22! 

I'm looking to apply to University of Toronto's MSW program with a specialization in mental health and health. I applied in 2015 and was waitlisted, but I feel like I haven't got much relevant experience since then. I ended up pursuing a post graduate degree in something completely unrelated out of panic because I wasn't finding a job after my undergrad. I may also apply to Waterloo's MSW program, though I'm not sure. Since I don't have a BSW my options are quite limited, but ultimately I'd like to get in somewhere with a clinical/research focus rather than a grassroots, social justice focus like York. What schools do you have your eye on? 

Hi all,

I'm looking to apply to UBC's MSW. Does anyone have thoughts/heard anything about their program?

Also, I've been exploring a couple of career options and have shadowed SWs in the hospital setting only (in BC). They've all told me that although they are passionate about their work, they are too stressed with the caseload and it really makes them feel unsatisfied with their work because they can't provide each patient with all the right resources due to caseload. Would this only be in the hospital? Maybe I've just talked to SWs that are all just under a lot of pressure at this time and I am hoping this isn't true for most cases.

Hey everyone,
It's also my first time on this forum. I am currently in the Social Development Studies (Social Work Specialization) program at uWaterloo. I am going to be applying to the 10-month BSW program for Fall 2018. I was also looking into applying to Laurier for their 2 year MSW program. I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive these programs are and the admission GPA. 
Thanks!

Hey @RH2 I've looked at UBC's MSW program for non-BSW applicants, but it says it's suspended until 2021 for some reason - may be accreditation issues, but nothing stated explicitly on the website: http://socialwork.ubc.ca/prospective-students/graduate/foundation-master-of-social-work-msw/. I'm interested in working in a hospital setting too but I've heard similar stories about burnout and not feeling productive; I think a good alternative is working in a mental health organization or not-for-profit. That is if you're looking for a health specialization. What other settings/specializations are you considering?

Hey @aesw! I think I'll be applying to Laurier's two year MSW program, I've heard that it's very research-focused and extremely competitive. I've read on previous threads that it's more clinical in nature, too, like University of Toronto's program, so it'd be ideal if you're also looking to focus on health or mental health social work. I haven't heard anything regarding practicum options or what organizations they're affiliated with but as far as course content goes, it sounds really good. When I emailed the admissions coordinator recently they told me they require at least an A average in your final year and two years of paid/volunteer human services experience, "if you want to be competitive". 

Hey everyone,

I am preparing for the fall MSW season. I worked in human services for years in both service delivery and policy development before returning to school for my BSW. I am now preparing to start the MSW application process. I need to work as I attend school so am looking at Canadian distance delivery MSW programs. I have searched a bit in grad cafe for info on developing a strong personal statement and application - wondering if anyone can recommend any other helpful links?

Good luck to all :)

Hi @smntoronto,

Yes I did see that UBC-Vancouver suspended their MSW for non-BSW students; however, UBC-Okanagan will still be open to MSW applicants for non-BSW students. I've only been exposed to the hospital setting for SW. I did a couple of co-op semesters with the rehab department and liked how SWs work in a team with OTs/PTs/SLPs. I have heard of area such as mental health and do know that non-profits are also an option. I've always been interested in the geriatrics population so hopefully there's something like that......advance care planning maybe? I also heard about SWs in the ICU setting which seems fast-paced and interesting.

Just out of curiosity....what made you guys interested in SW? I've just completed my Kin degree....was always interested in physiology and psychology.....so initially wanted to go into OT but its just insanely competitive and so I thought SW might be the next option.

Hey! @smntoronto That's awesome, I am actually interested in going into hospital/ medical social work so I think the program would be a good fit for me. I spoke to some advisors and professors in my faculty at uWaterloo and most of them have graduated from Laurier and highly recommend the program. I am also considering continuing my studies at uWaterloo and doing the 10 month BSW program followed by the 1 year MSW program. Although, I am interested in research and for some reason our graduate program doesn't allow for research, even though I am doing an honours thesis in social work at an undergraduate level (doesn't make much sense to me why research-based courses are only available to undergrads and not graduate programs).