8 hours ago, mangoparty said:

Thanks for sharing. I submitted mine a week before the deadline date. Maybe I should just wait a little bit more...I hope there is nothing wrong! 

I looked at the website. It said they can't verify by phone or email and that they will reach out to us if they need anything additional.

Did anyone who has already finished the financial aid application receive a reminder to complete it? I sort of want to check my status on that seeing as I did.

14 hours ago, mangoparty said:

Thanks for sharing. I submitted mine a week before the deadline date. Maybe I should just wait a little bit more...I hope there is nothing wrong! 

I think you're okay! I submitted my app in December and didn't get the all-clear checkmark until this morning :)

2 hours ago, newbietheologian said:

Asking for some opinions.

Which degree is better seen within academia? Master of Theological Studies (MTS) or Master of Arts in Theology (MAT)? 

Appreciate your help!

I'm assuming you're asking based on where you've been admitted. I don't know anything about Dublin City, but if you're trying to decide between Duke and Fuller, choose Duke. I went to Fuller, and while I don't necessarily regret my time there or anything (I got into a good PhD program from there), if I had known more about div schools/seminaries, I likely would've gone somewhere else. If you are looking to go on to a PhD program, Duke will better prepare you for that. The degree name doesn't really matter that much. You need to think about which program is going to help you narrow in on a possible dissertation topic and be rigorous enough to give you the tools you need to succeed in a PhD program.

5 hours ago, edgedancer said:

I think you're okay! I submitted my app in December and didn't get the all-clear checkmark until this morning :)

Thanks! They must have a lot to check, I guess.   

11 hours ago, ChristoWitch87 said:

Did anyone who has already finished the financial aid application receive a reminder to complete it? I sort of want to check my status on that seeing as I did.

I completed the application and still got one. I think the reminder was sent to all applicants. :) 

3 hours ago, marXian said:

I'm assuming you're asking based on where you've been admitted. I don't know anything about Dublin City, but if you're trying to decide between Duke and Fuller, choose Duke. I went to Fuller, and while I don't necessarily regret my time there or anything (I got into a good PhD program from there), if I had known more about div schools/seminaries, I likely would've gone somewhere else. If you are looking to go on to a PhD program, Duke will better prepare you for that. The degree name doesn't really matter that much. You need to think about which program is going to help you narrow in on a possible dissertation topic and be rigorous enough to give you the tools you need to succeed in a PhD program.

@marXian Thanks for your advice. 

I was accepted into PTS's M.Div program on Friday - very exciting. I'm still working through the financial aid offer. They sent two emails: one was a plain acceptance letter encouraging me to apply for aid and one financial aid letter notifying me of a scholarship that I've been offered. There was no mention of grant money but it did say that the scholarship I received was not necessarily the only one I could/will receive. To complicate things further, the particular scholarship I was offered makes me eligible for additional scholarships  - though I have no idea when I'll find out if I've been selected for those (or whether I would have been notified already if I had been selected). Because I was left with a ton of questions, I responded to the scholarship email asking for clarification. They didn't answer the question, rather, they set up a call with the head of financial aid. I'll be speaking with him on Wednesday to hopefully clear this up. 

I have not reported my acceptance on results, as I'd like to wait until I understand my full funding offer. I think this will be more useful to those who depend on the results search for guidance!

2 hours ago, JDD said:

I was accepted into PTS's M.Div program on Friday - very exciting. I'm still working through the financial aid offer. They sent two emails: one was a plain acceptance letter encouraging me to apply for aid and one financial aid letter notifying me of a scholarship that I've been offered. There was no mention of grant money but it did say that the scholarship I received was not necessarily the only one I could/will receive. To complicate things further, the particular scholarship I was offered makes me eligible for additional scholarships  - though I have no idea when I'll find out if I've been selected for those (or whether I would have been notified already if I had been selected). Because I was left with a ton of questions, I responded to the scholarship email asking for clarification. They didn't answer the question, rather, they set up a call with the head of financial aid. I'll be speaking with him on Wednesday to hopefully clear this up. 

I have not reported my acceptance on results, as I'd like to wait until I understand my full funding offer. I think this will be more useful to those who depend on the results search for guidance!

Congratulations @JDD !!! I'm super happy you got into Princeton !! :D 

44 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Vandy tends to start notifying top applicants the second week of February but many don’t hear until March.

I already heard back last night, which I was surprised about. That's why I asked. 

Thanks for the congrats! I'm trying to temper my excitement with the reality that I may not get the financial aid necessary to attend.

I had a call with the head of financial aid this morning and they confirmed that I won't hear back on need/merit-based aid until late next week. He confirmed that they do financial aid decisions on a rolling basis, similar to admissions. Moreover, they have to determine the cost of tuition for the next academic year before they award any financial aid.

So it's more waiting for me! I'm still waiting for YDS and DDS - I'll be sure to share any news I get for those programs as it happens.

Good Afternoon all:

Was hoping to receive a bit of feedback about my application. I am older applicant, mid 50s, and having not been involved in academics for almost 27 years, I am a bit unsure on how my application will be viewed/evaluated. That said, I’ll place features about my application in two camps-potential weak areas and potential strong areas.

WEAK: My GPA in both undergrad and law school are probably below average relative to contemporary applicants...approximately 2.7 for undergrad and 2.8 for law school.  I am a member of three different bars.

STRONG: 25 plus years working with Native American communities, positions include being General Counsel to the US Senate Indian Affairs Committee, Senior Advisor to two federal agencies on Tribal Affairs, Director of Tribal Programs at an Ivy University, Director of Policy for a former Governor, and service on the board of directors of several major non-profits that serve Native communities. Unique admission essay on the Doctrine of Discovery and it’s intersection with Native peoples. Strong recommendations from two law school deans and another a dean of Native Programs at a university. 

Applied to Yale, Harvard, Duke and UTS, in MDiv. I do not seek to be an academic but rather want to go back to social justice issues and probably take the helm of a related non-profit. I have been invited to attend UTS for their Intersections event in two weeks and have received a couple of emails from Yale encouraging my application from current students. Any thoughts or feedback? Much thanks in advance , as I am feeling a tad anxious.......

1 hour ago, Boolakanaka said:

Good Afternoon all:

Was hoping to receive a bit of feedback about my application. I am older applicant, mid 50s, and having not been involved in academics for almost 27 years, I am a bit unsure on how my application will be viewed/evaluated. That said, I’ll place features about my application in two camps-potential weak areas and potential strong areas.

WEAK: My GPA in both undergrad and law school are probably below average relative to contemporary applicants...approximately 2.7 for undergrad and 2.8 for law school.  I am a member of three different bars.

STRONG: 25 plus years working with Native American communities, positions include being General Counsel to the US Senate Indian Affairs Committee, Senior Advisor to two federal agencies on Tribal Affairs, Director of Tribal Programs at an Ivy University, Director of Policy for a former Governor, and service on the board of directors of several major non-profits that serve Native communities. Unique admission essay on the Doctrine of Discovery and it’s intersection with Native peoples. Strong recommendations from two law school deans and another a dean of Native Programs at a university. 

Applied to Yale, Harvard, Duke and UTS, in MDiv. I do not seek to be an academic but rather want to go back to social justice issues and probably take the helm of a related non-profit. I have been invited to attend UTS for their Intersections event in two weeks and have received a couple of emails from Yale encouraging my application from current students. Any thoughts or feedback? Much thanks in advance , as I am feeling a tad anxious.......

You'll be a good applicant for any of the programs you've mentioned. M.Div programs are set up to have both second career students with a lot of experience and students right out of undergrad. Your age won't be an issue and your experience will be seen as a strength. Most M.Div programs want to have diversity in backgrounds/life experience in their incoming class and I take it you'll have a lot to offer in that category given your previous work

As for your weaknesses, I think that you're applying to enough schools where even if your GPA hold you back at some schools you most likely won't be rejected from all.

Rabbit, thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I was hoping that my experience and my area of interest (the syncretic relationship between Christianity and Native culture) would separate myself from other applicants. I visited three of the schools mentioned and I have to say, I think my visits and my specific area of interest were fairly well received.

On a couple of the applications there were sections to explain academic records, given that so much time had passed since my last degree, and given that I was a practicing attorney for over 20 years, I thought it would be a bit gratuitous to make such explanations — hope I was right! 

Again, thanks and keeping my fingers crossed for the next several weeks.

3 hours ago, Boolakanaka said:

Rabbit, thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I was hoping that my experience and my area of interest (the syncretic relationship between Christianity and Native culture) would separate myself from other applicants. I visited three of the schools mentioned and I have to say, I think my visits and my specific area of interest were fairly well received.

On a couple of the applications there were sections to explain academic records, given that so much time had passed since my last degree, and given that I was a practicing attorney for over 20 years, I thought it would be a bit gratuitous to make such explanations — hope I was right! 

Again, thanks and keeping my fingers crossed for the next several weeks.

Hi @Boolakanaka

I second what @Rabbit Run said. 

You are definitely a strong applicant. Given that so much time has passed since you finished school, I doubt they will care much for your GPA. 
Your experience and proposal/interest of study is what they will look at. At the end of the day, GPA is the only way for Graduate Schools to measure the capability of (inexperienced) undergraduate students. I know quite a few people that got into top schools with GPA that was below the required minimum--however, they had experience and skills that made up for the "low" GPA. 

Let us know where you end up. I look forward to hearing the good news!

25 minutes ago, newbietheologian said:

Hi @Boolakanaka

I second what @Rabbit Run said. 

You are definitely a strong applicant. Given that so much time has passed since you finished school, I doubt they will care much for your GPA. 
Your experience and proposal/interest of study is what they will look at. At the end of the day, GPA is the only way for Graduate Schools to measure the capability of (inexperienced) undergraduate students. I know quite a few people that got into top schools with GPA that was below the required minimum--however, they had experience and skills that made up for the "low" GPA. 

Let us know where you end up. I look forward to hearing the good news!

@newbietheologian Much thanks. I expect the next several weeks to be eventful, and I will attempt to keep a positive frame of mind (e.g. medicinal portions of premium bourbon-wink). Again, I most appreciate the input and I look forward to reporting back!

13 hours ago, Boolakanaka said:

Good Afternoon all:

I speculate you will get into at least 2 of the schools you mentioned. Which of those it will be will depend to some degree on fit. I agree with what prior comments have said that you have more than enough distance from your last degree that your GPA should be secondary. What they will be concerned with, and with all of us applying with some work experience behind us, is that we can actually do the work. Your (very successful sounding) public service background should do a lot to that end. What will seal it is a strong, well written SOP. If you have that I think you will get into at least 2 of the schools that perceive themselves to be a good fit for you. I speculate UTS and Harvard, in which case I hope to see you as those are the schools I applied to!

@ChristoWitch87 Thank you for those comments and let me wish you the best during your own application process!

My SOP was centered around the factual story of Henry ʻŌpūkahaʻia. In short,  he was an orphaned Native Hawaiian who ended up on a merchant/whaling ship in the early 1800s and was found several years later on the steps of Yale Library lamenting the fact he could not read or write, and then subsequently lived with the then-President Timothy Dwight. He lived with the Dwight family and although he did not attend Yale, he was educated personally by Timothy Dwight and eventually turned to Christianity and was intent on becoming a missionary—but died of typhus right before he was to sail back to Hawai’i. Subsequently, and the very next year, Yale’s first missionaries to Hawai‘i were formed via the American Board Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM). Being native Polynesian I think I made an interesting connection to these events and how they compelled not just my current application to Divinity School, but also inspired my life’s work. 

Given that the story has a direct nexus back to Yale, I’m thinking it might give me an inside tract to that school and I also previously worked there—I’m hoping two things: one it resonates with Yale and two, it’s universal and portable enough to also provoke the remaining three schools—thoughts?

Given that the story has a direct nexus back to Yale, I’m thinking it might give me an inside tract to that school and I also previously worked there—I’m hoping two things: one it resonates with Yale and two, it’s universal and portable enough to also provoke the remaining three schools—thoughts?

I am a YDS alum (MAR 11') and from my experience going through the process YDS loves personalized/school-specific SOPs. Among other considerations, they want to know a person's reasons for applying are about more than "it's an Ivy". This works and I think it will definitely help, especially since you worked at the school.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your faith tradition? Fit matters as well. I am a UU and actually decided not to reapply to YDS because Union or HDS would work better given my goal is ordination (or a UU seminary, if both of those places ding me). If you fall within mainline Protestantism or liberal Catholicism YDS would probably be a great place for you! 

Edited by ChristoWitch87

@ChristoWitch87 Thank you again-your comments and insights are most helpful. As to your question, I am a fairly progressive Catholic, and as such the remnants of the Doctrine of Discovery are of great interest to me and I hope to more scholarship around this topic.

Funny story which speaks to my age—I attended the prospective student event in the fall, and had a nice 30-40 minute one-on-one conversation with Dean Goettler (arranged by a friend of mine who is his colleague) and one of the prospective students was waiting on the side and approached us after we finished our conversation—we both assumed she was waiting to speak to the Dean, but she interjected—oh, pointing at me, is he not on the faculty here, I wanted to speak to him about a couple of tribal issues?? Buahahahahahahah......

@ChristoWitch87 Thank you again-your comments and insights are most helpful. As to your question, I am a fairly progressive Catholic, and as such the remnants of the Doctrine of Discovery are of great interest to me and I hope to more scholarship around this topic.

Funny story which speaks to my age—I attended the prospective student event in the fall, and had a nice 30-40 minute one-on-one conversation with Dean Goettler (arranged by a friend of mine who is his colleague) and one of the prospective students was waiting on the side and approached us after we finished our conversation—we both assumed she was waiting to speak to the Dean, but she interjected—oh, pointing at me, is he not on the faculty here, I wanted to speak to him about a couple of tribal issues?? Buahahahahahahah......

Yea you're definitely fine. You did your HW on schools, did the right preliminary steps (school visit, dean sit down, etc), and your denominational affiliation and research goals make sense. I'd say 90%+ for YDS, 80% UTS, 70% HDS, Duke 50% (I will probably get some disagreement here but I actually think this is your toughest sell. They more than the other schools mentioned are more deeply entrenched in a mainline protestant identity and I think from what you've said its your least easy fit unless you know something I don't!).