9 hours ago, theseriouslady said:

Just found this thread! Was accepted to UChicago Div with 70% funding! Congrats everyone! Anyone attending the admitted students day in April?

Congrats! And yes, I'll be there.

Just got a call from Duke letting me know I've been admitted to their M.Div program. No mention of financial aid though - they said to expect an email from their office in a few days. Best of luck to the other applicants!

Edit: In my admissions letter in the portal, I was offered 25%, which is apparently typical for Duke. Not nearly enough for me to attend.

Edited by JDD

31 minutes ago, JDD said:

@maggers20

75% is amazing for  Duke - you should be proud!

Thank you! I’m a United Methodist student and will be a certified candidate for ministry by the start of the term. I’m planning to go on and become an ordained elder in the UMC. I think that really helped me out funding-wise! Plus I’ve been really involved with my local Wesley foundation campus ministry and well connected to my home church. Regardless, having funding will really help me out since it’s such a long process for UMC a students to become ordained - about 4 more years post-seminary of internships/Clinical pastoral education/low-paying ministerial jobs. 

3 hours ago, maggers20 said:

Thank you! I’m a United Methodist student and will be a certified candidate for ministry by the start of the term. I’m planning to go on and become an ordained elder in the UMC. I think that really helped me out funding-wise! Plus I’ve been really involved with my local Wesley foundation campus ministry and well connected to my home church. Regardless, having funding will really help me out since it’s such a long process for UMC a students to become ordained - about 4 more years post-seminary of internships/Clinical pastoral education/low-paying ministerial jobs. 

At a time when church attendance is dwindling and there are fewer individuals pursuing a career in ministry, it baffles me why the UMC would make it so difficult to become ordained. Do you know why the threshold is so high?

3 hours ago, JDD said:

At a time when church attendance is dwindling and there are fewer individuals pursuing a career in ministry, it baffles me why the UMC would make it so difficult to become ordained. Do you know why the threshold is so high?

That's honestly a great question haha - I don't really have a comprehensive idea. I know that the UMC values being a connectional church, meaning that we have a higher governing body (bishops overseeing conferences that oversee districts that oversee local churches) so we aren't a bunch of separate churches, like non-denominational/evangelical churches. Because of that, I believe that the UMC holds the Elders and Deacons (the types of pastors) to a higher standard than many other denominations/churches do in regards to furthering education. While there is still variation in theology, style, etc. of pastors, you can feel confident that almost all UMC pastors will be educationally and theologically sound. It's unlikely that someone would graduate with their bachelor's and then just go plant a UMC church because they would need to get special permission for the sacraments from the Bishop, too, if they aren't ordained. This has a lot of downfalls to it, like slow growth, bureaucracy, etc. however since the UMC is such a connectional church it allows for organizations like UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief - to be one of the biggest natural and man-made disaster relief organizations in the world that doesn't take any administrative fees so all donations actually go towards aid. I would think that a lot of other mainline (PCUSA, ELCA, UCC) require a masters and field experience before becoming ordained, as well, since they have a similar set-up. There's always going to be pros and cons to connectional vs/ congregational church bodies. I will say that you can become a local pastor with minimal education (think a few months of workshops/classes) in the UMC but then you are tied to that one church/ministry and it's often for an interim position while the church may be between pastors in which you get special sacramental authority from the bishop. Whew. That was long-winded, but I hope that makes sense? 

Congrats to everyone that got accepted into UChicago

Do you guys think it would be too late to apply to UChicago, it says their deadline for MA applicants is January 8, 2018 for priority and Final is April 15, 2018. Since I clearly am not applying in the priority deadline, would my chances of admission be diminished?

Chances of admission might be diminished if they expect they've already hit the statistical likelihood that more students will accept than what they can provide resources to. That said, your financial aid award will certainly be less but I don't think admissions will be impacted.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, xypathos said:

Chances of admission might be diminished if they expect they've already hit the statistical likelihood that more students will accept than what they can provide resources to. That said, your financial aid award will certainly be less but I don't think admissions will be impacted.

thanks for the insight.

Has anyone applied to Columbia masters in Islamic Studies? 

12 minutes ago, αξιοδακρυτος said:

Last Tuesday someone in ND's Theology department told me that decisions for the MTS "are in the process of being made" and that notifications should go out "soon."  The results section reports 2 acceptances: one from a week ago, another from two weeks ago.  Hope that helps, and here's to waiting!

Thanks for the info! And good luck to you :)