@ChristoWitch87 Again, mahalo nui (thank you very much)!  I have to agree with you in regard to Duke, as I was sort of talked into including it in my application list. It is the one school in which I don’t have an organic tie or symmetrical tie in terms of either a subject matter area or a Professor that I would like to work with—so that’s a choppy, not very eloquent way to say—we will see.

I did have a nice chat and coffee with Sarah Azanransky from Union, who I really enjoy and greatly impressed with her work. Who knows, we might very well be cohorts at Union—knock on wood!

@Boolakanaka I'm applying this application cycle as well, but for the MTS. I'm no expert on these admissions by any means, but being that you're involved with the tribes and that you largely represent a group (that I would imagine) is very much underrepresented in divinity schools to be a huge plus. I think you would offer a very unique perspective and I can only imagine that it would be viewed positively. GPA is important but because you've been out of school for almost 30 years, I would assume that your application would be evaluated more holistically than say someone who was 22 and straight out of undergrad (don't quote me on that).

@kaaat Thanks for the input—and the very best to you on your own application journey this cycle.C’mon how come I can’t quote you on the holistic evaluation—wink?!?

Although I’m certainly not Karl Barth, I am not too worried as in the worse case scenario I got back to practicing Native Law—although I am getting pretty hyped about attending D-school! Perhaps, I should have taken a bit of time to explain my grades, but as I previously mentioned, it’s been so much time between now and undergraduate, making an explanation that I was a D1 scholarship athlete and drank too many beers, seemed at best silly and at worse, patently trite. 

So, where else did you place applications?

39 minutes ago, Boolakanaka said:

@kaaat Wow, indeed, that full-ride from Vandy is awfully compelling—and that’s a nice chit to be holding in your back pocket-congrats! 

I’ll keep you in the loop on how it turns out for me and again, thank you for your insight and kind words.

Thank you :) Best of luck to you as well, please keep us updated!

I applied to HDS'S MTS program this past December. Did other HDS applicants receive the invitation for the webinar, Preparing for What's Next: A Webinar hosted by HDS Graduate Assistants? I'm sure this is a generic email that all applicants received, correct? It's tempting to view a message like this as intimating an acceptance! At any rate, will anyone on the forum be participating?

21 minutes ago, Kirby66 said:

I applied to HDS'S MTS program this past December. Did other HDS applicants receive the invitation for the webinar, Preparing for What's Next: A Webinar hosted by HDS Graduate Assistants? I'm sure this is a generic email that all applicants received, correct? It's tempting to view a message like this as intimating an acceptance! At any rate, will anyone on the forum be participating?

Unfortunately I doubt Uncle Sam will give me the 1-2pm hour block off. Let us know if anything good comes of it though!

7 hours ago, Kirby66 said:

I'm pretty sure it's just a generic email. The aim is likely designed to reduce incoming email traffic and phone calls HDS may receive from eager applicants.
I think it's likely worth the time to listen in. I found the previous personal statement/applicant webinar very helpful.

As nice as an early "heads-up" would be, I think we're all likely going to find out at around the same time  in mid-March.

Just as a heads up to others who are curious about who is hearing back from who...

I heard back from Boston U at the beginning of February (got accepted and was offered possibility of free tuition) and I got a phone call from Emory/Candler earlier this week congratulating me on an acceptance (no financial aid mentioned yet). 

Exciting times! Did anyone else get into Emory or Boston? 

16 hours ago, MattSolo said:

Just as a heads up to others who are curious about who is hearing back from who...

I heard back from Boston U at the beginning of February (got accepted and was offered possibility of free tuition) and I got a phone call from Emory/Candler earlier this week congratulating me on an acceptance (no financial aid mentioned yet). 

Exciting times! Did anyone else get into Emory or Boston? 

@MattSolo

Thanks for the heads up! Seems like you applied to many of the schools I also applied. Any preference on which you'd pick if you were to get accepted in all your top 5 picks?

I was reading some earlier post, I think from a year ago, that folks invited to the Union intersection event are usually offered admission—does anyone know if that was just an anecdotal observation or whether there is some truth to this....anyone? I thought it was just a chance to get to know faculty and students, and take in some classes.....

26 minutes ago, ChristoWitch87 said:

So... I was looking at prior results for Union and found that depending on year people sometimes got offers as early as the second week of February.

Which is to say I am going to start obsessively start checking my email and these boards somewhere around Wednesday XD

It also seems like, based on previous reports, certain people could be getting a phone call or email from Vanderbilt this week (even possibly tomorrow). Likewise, Duke might trickle out some apps (and Princeton maybe along with them?).

Sigh. The stress just keeps growing. lol

1 hour ago, Boolakanaka said:

I was reading some earlier post, I think from a year ago, that folks invited to the Union intersection event are usually offered admission—does anyone know if that was just an anecdotal observation or whether there is some truth to this....anyone? I thought it was just a chance to get to know faculty and students, and take in some classes.....

Some of the people that were at Intersections while I was (2014) were offered admission while there. I didn't get the vibe, while there, that they were interviewing/screening us but it's certainly possible. I had already been offered admission and a very generous financial aid package before I arrived so I was VERY much at ease while there and thus likely oblivious to a lot of things.

Oh dear heavens... I had what must have been a mini-heart attack. Vanderbilt Divinity School (Admissions Dept.) had the bright idea to send off two emails (spaced apart). My apple watch could only show the sender and I freaked out. However, upon closer look, they are just advertisements for the programs at the school. >.< #hopeyourlaughing

16 minutes ago, MattSolo said:

Yas! I got an email from Union Theological Seminary a few hours ago, congratulating me on my acceptance to their MA with full funding!

@ChristoWitch87 Have you heard back yet?

Nope! When did you complete your application? (Not that I'm scared or anything O_O lol)

Edited by ChristoWitch87

I finally heard back from PTS's financial aid department - they offered me 80% funding + a scholarship that should cover the remainder of tuition. Although, I'm a little skeptical as to what this amount entails, as the way the letter was worded it almost seems like the 80% funding figure includes the scholarship.

That said, they also asked for my tax return before they could confirm funding. I responded with the requested docs and asked if they could send me the exact dollar amount of funding I've received to ensure there is no miscommunication. If it all checks out and the funding covers the entirety of tuition, I'll be matriculating in the fall!

Still, I can't help but wonder what might happen with my Duke and Yale apps!