Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

18 minutes ago, renea said:

Monday FSU's graduate program assistant sent out a mass email titled "Application Review" just to notify me that reviews have begun and decisions will be out later this month. yeah thanks for the heart attack. Also apps were due on December 15th, so it feels weird to just now be reviewing applications.

Huh, that does feel really late. I'm sorry :(

3 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Huh, that does feel really late. I'm sorry :(

ehh it's ok. I'm hoping they've been reviewing prior to that and the email is a polite reminder for applicants to not bombard the department with emails asking about their status. The boards indicated mid to late February, so I wasn't expecting anything too soon---although an early decision would be nice.

8 hours ago, renea said:

I'm tired of being trolled by departments.

Monday FSU's graduate program assistant sent out a mass email titled "Application Review" just to notify me that reviews have begun and decisions will be out later this month. yeah thanks for the heart attack. Also apps were due on December 15th, so it feels weird to just now be reviewing applications.

Today I open my email to this from GSU:

image.thumb.png.304397ea94319408d369e8d6420c799d.png

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!

I need some way to block all unimportant emails and telemarketers, because this past week every notification has sent me into panic mode. 

As a graphic designer, that GSU email hurts my brain and I really want to help them out. But also I’m sorry that these schools are tormenting you!

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

As a graphic designer, that GSU email hurts my brain and I really want to help them out. But also I’m sorry that these schools are tormenting you!

I do a lot of graphic design/website building for my job, and looking at so many of these emails and departmental websites drives me a little mad.

c466de4c74f6461abba7a85a69807978.gif

4 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I do a lot of graphic design/website building for my job, and looking at so many of these emails and departmental websites drives me a little mad.

c466de4c74f6461abba7a85a69807978.gif

Sometimes I think that universities have zero concept of website user experience. There were a number of schools we looked at that had such incomprehensible navigation, disorganized information, and inability to sort through faculty efficiently that we gave up. I find that this seems to especially be an issue with European schools... Haha.

2 hours ago, punctilious said:

different fonts, different colors (just a little off from each other), different sizes, ugghhh

3 hours ago, jpbends said:

Anybody else having dreams about decisions? Last night I dreamt that USC actually didn't reject me but waitlisted me and I was actually so happy???

Ugh, I’m sorry about that dream! I had one last week that I went to check on all of my apps to see if there was any news, and none of them were actually submitted and I accidentally didn’t apply to any schools.

I feel like, at this point, any dreams about grad school (even the good one I had where I was attending Brown in the fall) are awful and need to be stopped. No getting my hopes up or making me anxious. Get outta here, brain.

3 hours ago, jpbends said:

Anybody else having dreams about decisions? Last night I dreamt that USC actually didn't reject me but waitlisted me and I was actually so happy???

Been averaging two a night, my guy. Last night I dreamt that this prof I know at USC came to my work to give me an acceptance and I shrugged and said “sick,” then went back to my mindless work. 

32 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Hey gang. In preparation for what could be a brutal week, here's the Official Implied Rejection Anthem, courtesy of the 1990s:

Am I the only one here who gets motion sickness after watching this music video? 

On 1/30/2018 at 7:22 PM, turtleducks said:

I'm fully prepared for a shutout so I'm occupying my time with applying to master's programs! I think I'm just not a good PhD candidate right now. 

*sips tea* and what have we learned about self doubt? Sometimes our brains are liars. (Congrats again!)

1 hour ago, unicornsarereal said:

me: USC is notifying, shit i'm going to be so anxious the rest of the day.

me 30 seconds later: i didn't apply to usc.

This is me but instead it’s whenever I see a school that starts with “UC”.

It’s like, ‘oh god UCLA is sending out things and I didn’t get an email! Wait. Wait. That’s LA, not anything I applied to. Welp back to waiting.’

5 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

*sips tea* and what have we learned about self doubt? Sometimes our brains are liars. (Congrats again!)

hahaha, thank you for this! Totally brightened my day. I'd honestly achieved this state of total peacefulness because I was so sure it wasn't happening. My wallet disagrees since like... you know, hundreds of dollars in app fees is not chill at all, but I was just calmly going about my backup plans. I'm kind of bewildered still. But happy!!

Wondering when I should call NYU an implied rejection.. I guess I'm holding out hope that they might still notify waitlists? I tried to check the results page and couldn't find much info on if/when they notify waitlists. Any thoughts? 

7 hours ago, clinamen said:

Wondering when I should call NYU an implied rejection.. I guess I'm holding out hope that they might still notify waitlists? I tried to check the results page and couldn't find much info on if/when they notify waitlists. Any thoughts? 

I've called it personally though waitlist I think would be notified Wednesday. 

8 hours ago, clinamen said:

I have pretty much given up hope on NYU. From what I have seen in the previous years, they typically notify wait listed applicants a day or two after they send out formal offer letters through email. I am quite surprised that NYU chose to notify accepted candidates unofficially via phone and that too on a weekend, something that they have not really done in the previous years.

It is okay. I still love NYU. Unfortunately, it is not reciprocated.

NYU is tough—don’t they get a ridiculous number of applicants? I wouldn’t be surprised if schools like NYU, Columbia, and Chicago just throw out half their apps without looking at them or on the basis of GRE score or GPA or something. 

18 minutes ago, punctilious said:

NYU is tough—don’t they get a ridiculous number of applicants? I wouldn’t be surprised if schools like NYU, Columbia, and Chicago just throw out half their apps without looking at them or on the basis of GRE score or GPA or something. 

This is precisely what I have been thinking. May be, NYU has not even seen my entire appplication based on my GRE scores ( which are okay, but not great). However, I have seen applicants getting through with lower GRE scores than stated on the program websites. I do think that ultimately factors such as SOP, writing sample and lors  matter the most, but considering the number of applicants that these schools receive, it is possible that they do not even take a look at most applications