2019 MPH CANADA

DAM

Just now, mph2019 said:

I also got accepted to SFU. Domestic applicant from Calgary. What do you think you will decide? and what do you like about the SFU program?

Congrats! 

I'm not too sure, I'm actually looking into the programs right now to try to make a decision. I've been living in the NWT for 6 months and I'm really interested in working in Health Promotion with Indigenous/Northern communities. As such, I thought UofA would be the best choice because it has more ties to the North (in fact UofA's School of Public Health is actually having a community meeting this Sunday in Yellowknife to discuss public health in the North). I see that UofA has many initiatives related to Indigenous peoples and the School of Public Health does have a focus in Indigenous communities, but I don't see any courses related to Indigenous health. From looking at the courses and their descriptions, it seems to me like the program has a strong focus on teaching students how to plan, implement and evaluate interventions. I love this because the program not only teaches you about public health / health promotion, but also teaches you how to put things into action.

I didn't know much about SFU before I applied, but friends from BC highly recommended it to me, and from my research it looks like a very reputable university. There is a course on Indigenous Health that is part of the required courses, so that's a bonus for me. The website says there's only 40 students, so you're working closely with everyone, which is nice as well.

As I mentioned above, UofA focuses strongly on strategies, planning, implementation. SFU's program seems to be a little broader. There are core courses on biostatistics, epidemiology, research methods, environmental/occupational health...

What about you, what are your thoughts on SFU / other unis? Which unis are you choosing between?

1 hour ago, car. said:

Just received my acceptance at SFU along with a $2,000 entrance scholarship. I was also accepted to UofA MPH in Health Promotion and USask.

I was set on UofA, but want to learn more about SFU to make sure I'm making the right decision. Does anyone know anything about this webinar? The email only says "watch by March 22", but there's no link.

37 minutes ago, bajajsug said:

I also got into SFU, I was thinking maybe we can make a group and look more in depth at the program together?

I got into SFU with the entrance scholarship as well. ☺️

Yes, how do we go by with creating a group? 

7 hours ago, joyinvancouver said:

I got into SFU with the entrance scholarship as well. ☺️

Yes, how do we go by with creating a group? 

I got a entrance scholarship too :) I want to be apart of the group too!

9 hours ago, dentistgirl16 said:

Have any international students heard from lakehead , university of Saskatchewan and from Guelph for MPH?

and from alberta, uoit for MSc?

Waiting from UOG MPH. i wonder how competitive is to get into Guelph MPH.

1 hour ago, tiffanychristine said:

Hey everyone!

I just accepted western’s offer and declined SFU MPH and UofA’s MPH Global Health stream...best of luck to everyone who applied!

Congratulations ?

10 hours ago, tiffanychristine said:

Hey everyone!

I just accepted western’s offer and declined SFU MPH and UofA’s MPH Global Health stream...best of luck to everyone who applied!

Congratsss. I got accepted to western university too. The mph in western uni is a bit intense, i'm wondering if u r interested in studying Mph concentrating on leadership skill?

On 3/15/2019 at 10:59 PM, hiitscam said:

Hi!

did anyone here apply to UofVic's MPH? if so, did you hear back yet?

No i havent got any decision yet.. status is under review by deptt

On 3/16/2019 at 5:30 PM, AhmadVet said:

Hi all, anyone heard back from UOG MPH? I applied only in Guelph for the MPH program.

no nothing yet... status is all docs received

I received an email notification this morning that I got accepted to the MPH programs at Lakehead and Brock. It says the same thing on my portal pages. It's strange that I received these updates on a Sunday! 

Edited by skvans13

Hi all!

I received acceptances from McMaster MPH and UBC MPH, and I'm still waiting on UofT MPH. I know that UofT sends out acceptances late April/early May. Does anyone know if there are any repercussions for accepting a program now, and then switching into a different one when I hear back from another school? Reason I ask is because I've heard that for medical schools, if you accept one school your name is removed from the pool and you can't accept another school if you hear from them later on. Does anyone know if Masters programs do something similar?

42 minutes ago, skvans13 said:

I received an email notification this morning that I got accepted to the MPH programs at Lakehead and Brock. It says the same thing on my portal pages. It's strange that I received these updates on a Sunday! 

Congratulations. Whats your profile?