Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Hi All!

We are almost there, we likely only have a few more weeks of waiting left (if you're like me and are waiting to hear from Laurier) !
I am wondering if anyone has any insight/information about the waitlist for the two year MSW program at Western?

Thanks!

Edited by Jessica_11

Does anyone else's MyFile for York still say "no decision yet - currently under consideration" ? I am aware that some people's MyFile's updated to acceptances so I am wondering what this means

Edited by Socwrk2

22 minutes ago, Socwrk2 said:

Does anyone else's MyFile for York still say "no decision yet - currently under consideration" ? I am aware that some people's MyFile's updated to acceptances so I am wondering what this means

Mine says this too! I'm assuming it may mean either wait list or rejection, but not entirely sure. 

4 minutes ago, N_D said:

Mine says this too! I'm assuming it may mean either wait list or rejection, but not entirely sure. 

You are probably right. I spoke to the admissions assistant last week who said it can take as long as Monday for the decisions (including acceptances) to be processed ..but who knows.. 

10 minutes ago, Socwrk2 said:

You are probably right. I spoke to the admissions assistant last week who said it can take as long as Monday for the decisions (including acceptances) to be processed ..but who knows.. 

Did they give out their acceptances already for Advanced Standing and Two-Year this past week? I was assuming that the Two-Year program would hear a little later this month.

18 hours ago, mswmbapp said:

This is kind of an advance question. Does anyone know if UofT MSW professors request lots of textbooks for their classes? Just want to assess the future expenses and stuff.

I'm in the program now and I haven't spent that much on textbooks to be honest, in fact you could probably get away without them. I guess it depends on your specialization stream. I'm in Mental Health and a lot of my readings have been articles posted online. I did buy one textbook for SW Practice in Mental Health but I have been using this textbook still even in my placement, particularly the chapter on mental status exams. I think it was $60.

The core research course that everyone has to take (Research for EBP) students have been circulating a pirated pdf copy to each other so you don't need to buy that textbook. If you or anyone else ends up attending the program DM me and I'll e-mail you the textbook for that class.

41 minutes ago, utorontomsw said:

I'm in the program now and I haven't spent that much on textbooks to be honest, in fact you could probably get away without them. I guess it depends on your specialization stream. I'm in Mental Health and a lot of my readings have been articles posted online. I did buy one textbook for SW Practice in Mental Health but I have been using this textbook still even in my placement, particularly the chapter on mental status exams. I think it was $60.

The core research course that everyone has to take (Research for EBP) students have been circulating a pirated pdf copy to each other so you don't need to buy that textbook. If you or anyone else ends up attending the program DM me and I'll e-mail you the textbook for that class.

Thanks for the insight! I have a question as well.. how much is tuition roughly (for domestic students) 

many thanks :) 

2 hours ago, SDZ said:

Did they give out their acceptances already for Advanced Standing and Two-Year this past week? I was assuming that the Two-Year program would hear a little later this month.

Yeah so far people have been only talking about getting acceptances to the advanced standing program. Not knowing if there were any acceptances to the two year program is making me anxious haha I tried calling the office to inquire but I'm always getting sent to voicemail!

15 minutes ago, Giantoreo said:

Yeah so far people have been only talking about getting acceptances to the advanced standing program. Not knowing if there were any acceptances to the two year program is making me anxious haha I tried calling the office to inquire but I'm always getting sent to voicemail!

I definitely hear you on feeling anxious! I'm waiting to hear back from York as well. I feel like the Two-Year applicants will hear closer to the end of this month...

Speaking of which, it has been going by so slowly!! Hurry up March.

2 hours ago, SDZ said:

I definitely hear you on feeling anxious! I'm waiting to hear back from York as well. I feel like the Two-Year applicants will hear closer to the end of this month...

Speaking of which, it has been going by so slowly!! Hurry up March.

York just called me back! They said that the two year program acceptances will be released 2-3 weeks from now! The selections made by the committee are currently under review by the director! 

4 hours ago, utorontomsw said:

Perfect! That’s a huge help. I just dm’d you! ?

2 hours ago, aspiringmsw2019 said:

Is there a penalty for accepting a school and then later rejecting it for another offer? is there a deposit fee you have to pay upon acceptance?

From what I gather, some do require a deposit, and some don't! 

Thank you again for creating this space! I just got accepted into the University of Chicago, Carleton University and Columbia University for a Masters of Social Work program.  Still waiting on York, UofT, University of Pennsylvania and Laurier! 

Edited by FeministDreams

Has anyone on this forum been accepted to UFV MSW or MSW- foundational? If so did they follow through with an in person interview prior to admission decision?

53 minutes ago, WaitingEndlessly said:

I hv asked.. Cos York is in rolling basis, so we are on the wait list

Thank you for clarifying this. I also received that information from admissions. They said we should know all decisions within about 1-2 weeks - they have not given out any rejections yet either from my understanding.  

6 minutes ago, Socwrk2 said:

Thank you for clarifying this. I also received that information from admissions. They said we should know all decisions within about 1-2 weeks - they have not given out any rejections yet either from my understanding.  

Hi again, 

Yes, hopefully we will be on the second around haha

On 3/7/2019 at 9:15 AM, hamilton32 said:

Yes totally understandable, was just wondering! 

Anyone waiting to hear back from Laurier two year program, admissions don’t go out until end of May/June, that’s what they told me when I emailed and asked! (Such a long wait :( )

Edited by Nicole22

9 hours ago, Nicole22 said:

Anyone waiting to hear back from Laurier two year program, admissions don’t go out until end of May/June, that’s what they told me when I emailed and asked! (Such a long wait :( )

Yikes! I heard end of March/early April.

By looking at previous threads from 2017-2018, people heard back about their admission acceptance for the Laurier 2-Year MSW around April 3rd-ish at the latest. 

The May/June admission notices are for the online program, probably... 

Edited by SageAU

18 hours ago, Nicole22 said:

Oh no, hopefully it's not May or June.  When I emailed admissions back in January they said that they were expecting to have decisions out at the end of March/beginning of April and based on previous threads it looks like most people heard the first week of April for the 2 year program.  Did you apply for the September 2019 start date Nicole?

Edited by Jessica_11