MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

40 minutes ago, CatchThemAll said:

Hey congrats!!!! do you know if they ever fund applicants for the travel cost?

As I read somewhere before, they rejected to fund any travel cost for international students. (It was posted in this year)

So, I am also thinking.. whether I go or not.

38 minutes ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Finally heard from SAIC! But alas, it's a rejection!
Good luck to all those who have interviews scheduled with them!

I'm sorry :( I know you were waiting a while to hear from them.. 

10 hours ago, JadeySheng said:

I got an interview from SAIC for the visual communications 3-year Post-Bac+MFA track interview, and MICA's graphic design MA program. Any idea how to prepare for it? On the instructions, it says that I will be talking about 2 to 3 of the best work on my portfolio, but what maybe be the other questions that I should prepare for?

I am a total noob and totally freaking out right now, cus the interviews are pretty close together.

Hey, when did you recieve a notification from MICA? Was it through email?

17 hours ago, katkat said:

Thank you! This is super helpful. Kinda breaks my heart because I think I should have heard back by now if I was a finalist, but I really appreciate you sending me this info!

@katkat Don't loose hope! As long as you have not received a rejection letter/email from them, I say you are very much in the game. I found this article saying that "all graduate schools in the US subscribe to a national acceptance deadline of April 15. Many recommend that if you have not heard from your school by March 15, you should contact them. When applying to a highly competitive school is very common that offers will be passed down to other applicants in time to make a decision before April 15"   Good luck to you! ?

Has anyone here heard from Ohio State or UIC? 

I just got my funding info from my fallback and it is... underwhelming. I'm really hoping for some positive news from UIC or OSU, now, because otherwise I'm not going to grad school this year. ?

On 2/10/2019 at 1:14 AM, artsixteen said:

Found out yesterday night that I have an interview with Cornell for the 15th of February

Congrats on the interview! 

I see you had an interview with RCA painting, may I ask which questions did they ask during the interview?

21 minutes ago, acs000 said:

I just got my funding info from my fallback and it is... underwhelming. I'm really hoping for some positive news from UIC or OSU, now, because otherwise I'm not going to grad school this year. ?

UIC Graphic Design had a Feb 1st deadline! So, hoping I'll hear from them not before March.

11 minutes ago, madgey said:

oh shiiiiiiiiiiit. i got nothing yet but i'm anxiously waiting.  fingers crossed.

The interview is scheduled for early March, maybe they are taking a while to reach out to all potential candidates. Hope you hear from them soon!

2 hours ago, acs000 said:

Had an interview with Ohio State early January and was accepted a week or so later. From what I can recall from the interview their candidates were selected by the entire art department rather than individual departments choosing students. Accepted candidates visitation day/s at the end of this month.

3 minutes ago, vegetables said:

Had an interview with Ohio State early January and was accepted a week or so later. From what I can recall from the interview their candidates were selected by the entire art department rather than individual departments choosing students. Accepted candidates visitation day/s at the end of this month.

Ffffuuuuuuuuuu-

So its probably an assumed rejection at this point, I guess. 

Thanks for the info, though!

Finally got a letter from SAIC, rejected. They offered me a spot in their undergrad BFA program as a "prior degree student", which is kind of insulting although my undergrad is a BA in Film and Video, so maybe that's going to end up being a hard sell for a lot of MFA programs. No one mentioned it negatively so far though and my Portfolio Day review with SAIC went very well, he even said "your work is exactly the language we look for in our students at SAIC"...Sigh ?

22 hours ago, yessssssss said:

Has anyone heard from UCLA painting or have an idea of when they will contact finalists? I’m hoping it’s this week or next week ?

I checked last year forum and rejection letters were sent March 9. Last year a friend of a friend received interview letter last week of February and he had his interview March 15. 

Hope it helps! Good Luck!