2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

5 minutes ago, Dwar said:

After some emailing back and forth with the grad coordinator it seems that there were two batches, one before 5 and one after. 

She said that my application portal should update today as I was part of the after 5 PM batch. So I guess there is still hope????? 

She asked for my name and tole me that I was rejected. But probably you still have hope.

1 minute ago, peggy.olson said:

I know they're closed because of the weather, but I can't believe we haven't heard anything from Northwestern, still... Driving me crazy!

Me too! I thought about emailing them to ask if all acceptances are out, but then remembered they're closed.

Does anyone KNOW if all the acceptances have gone out? Last year there waaasss a big gap between the first acceptances and the rejections, but it did seem like more acceptances had been posted by that time, and they didn't all come out in one day. 

Does anyone know if it annoys the admissions teams if you try to contact to find out when admissions are set to come out? I'm feeling unreasonably impatient and want to know dates so I don't frantically check everyday, but I also don't want to annoy them...

1 minute ago, humanpinata said:

Does anyone know if it annoys the admissions teams if you try to contact to find out when admissions are set to come out? I'm feeling unreasonably impatient and want to know dates so I don't frantically check everyday, but I also don't want to annoy them...

I would personally say the downside is worse than the upside. The upside is the very small chance they tell you a date, which they probably don't have nailed down anyway considering they're academics and deadlines/dates aren't real (only half joking). The downside is they're on the fence about you and an email annoys them enough to choose someone else. Maybe I'm overly risk-averse, but I would personally not send an email, although I absolutely understand the agony you're in right now lmao

47 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

I would personally say the downside is worse than the upside. The upside is the very small chance they tell you a date, which they probably don't have nailed down anyway considering they're academics and deadlines/dates aren't real (only half joking). The downside is they're on the fence about you and an email annoys them enough to choose someone else. Maybe I'm overly risk-averse, but I would personally not send an email, although I absolutely understand the agony you're in right now lmao

you can always try from a different email and signing with a different name

1 minute ago, magicdonhuang said:

Sending positive energy everyone's way. Let's get some good news today! 

Thanks!

Currently resisting the urge to call their office, the portal will update today, but honestly the waiting is killing me 

49 minutes ago, Mallarme said:

So, for Princeton, if we have not received an email with good news should we assume we were rejected? 

Are you in any of the subfields that have already received decisions?

Repost from yesterday:

Some IR, CP, and American have received decisions from Princeton.

No Theory yet?

POI at Princeton reports "review process is complete and decisions letters are being processed by the Graduate School. Official notifications of our decisions will be sent next week."

2 minutes ago, taraeh said:

Anybody want to take one for the team and call Northwestern?? :)

Don't think they'll answer. The entire region is closed down, I know that at least for my school not even administrative staff came in, its only like the dinning hall and maintenance workers who are deemed "vital" by the school. 

Edited by Dwar

5 minutes ago, appleapple said:

Are you in any of the subfields that have already received decisions?

Repost from yesterday:

Some IR, CP, and American have received decisions from Princeton.

No Theory yet?

POI at Princeton reports "review process is complete and decisions letters are being processed by the Graduate School. Official notifications of our decisions will be sent next week."

I applied to Political Economy. I remember reading someone who applied to this sub-field already got a decision. However, I am just not sure whether they only contacted all admitted students or just some...

Edited by Mallarme

7 minutes ago, Mallarme said:

I applied to Political Economy. I remember reading someone who applied to this sub-field already got a decision. However, I am just not sure whether they only contacted all admitted students or just some...

For now, no one here is sure about that either. 

Could any of the officia Princeton admits check their portal for Mallarme? Is it updated?

11 minutes ago, appleapple said:

For now, no one here is sure about that either. 

Could any of the officia Princeton admits check their portal for Mallarme? Is it updated?

1 minute ago, trinityshot said:

Not updated. Still says "Submitted."

Thanks to both! I guess I will just wait and hope for the best

I know we're all focused on results, but visits come after that! Does anyone know how to find out when schools' visit days are? Two of the schools I've heard back positively from conflict, and I've still got many more to hear from. It's hard to start arranging any travel without a better idea of whose visit days are when. I'm looking particularly for these schools:

• Harvard
  • MIT
  • Stanford (FAQ on their site says "early April")
  • UCSD
  • UPenn
  • UChicago
  • UMich
  • NYU
  • Columbia

43 minutes ago, Dwar said:

Don't think they'll answer. The entire region is closed down, I know that at least for my school not even administrative staff came in, its only like the dinning hall and maintenance workers who are deemed "vital" by the school. 

The university reopens at noon today per their website.  May get an answer...

1 minute ago, upsy said:

I know we're all focused on results, but visits come after that! Does anyone know how to find out when schools' visit days are? Two of the schools I've heard back positively from conflict, and I've still got many more to hear from. It's hard to start arranging any travel without a better idea of whose visit days are when. I'm looking particularly for these schools:

• Harvard
  • MIT
  • Stanford (FAQ on their site says "early April")
  • UCSD
  • UPenn
  • UChicago
  • UMich
  • NYU
  • Columbia

Lol I feel like this is really getting ahead of ourselves. There's a thread awhile back that has some old visit dates, and I'd be surprised if they deviated much from previous years. Top schools will try hard to not make theirs intersect. 

For Northwestern, the last update I had (at least for American politics) is that no final decisions had been made as of January 24th- and the university has been closed. As fo the recent decisions people have posted, they may now be considering waitlist . Or, the university is just closed and the decisions, whether accepted or denied are delayed. 

Edited by Kiki2706

Just now, Kiki2706 said:

For Northwestern, the last update I had (at least for American politics) is that no final decisions had been made as of January 24th- and the university has been closed. As of the recent decisions people have posted, they may now be considering waitlist . Or the university is just closed and the decisions, whether accepted or denied are delayed. 

Did you call them or something?