2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

late post - but also claiming NYU for Political Economy!

By the way, anyone else applying to Harvard PEG notice something weird on their application? In particular, did a "Terms and conditions of acceptance" link appear on your application as an optional form and then disappear the next day? ?

2 hours ago, mackeycold said:

Does anyone have any feel for what the best qualitative programs are? How would Wisconsin rank in there? And does anyone have any general thoughts on how Wisconsin would compare to Colorado and Rice and how Colorado and Rice are? 

Im also interested in qualitative methods and it seems that northwestern has quite a few scholars who are qualitative methodologists. If you’re into historical institutionalism, James Mahoney at northwestern is an excellent qualitative scholar. 

2 minutes ago, Neo_Institutionalist said:

Im also interested in qualitative methods and it seems that northwestern has quite a few scholars who are qualitative methodologists. If you’re into historical institutionalism, James Mahoney at northwestern is an excellent qualitative scholar. 

Totally agree! Goertz at Notre Dame is great too

Is there anyone who accepted by The University of Iowa Political Science PhD but will go to another school? If so, please decline the offer if you have a better choice. I am waitlisted and Iowa is my best choice.

3 hours ago, frankfrank said:

I just received an email from the Department inviting me for a phone conversation. How about you?

A couple of hours ago I got an unofficial acceptance mail from the DGS. Two weeks ago; I made a phone conversation. Good luck!

Anyone know anything at all about Northwestern? There's another acceptance on the survey page from the 23rd, but there don't seem to have been any rejections since that first wave. I know most of their rejections came out around Feb 22nd last year, so I'm not exactly hopeful at this point, but I don't understand what they're doing with all these other applications. 

6 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

UCLA and Michigan are both a couple days later than last year as of now. I would expect Michigan today or Monday, don't know about UCLA.

I have it on fairly good authority that Michigan will release decisions on the 12th. 

11 minutes ago, scdaaljobe said:

Anyone have any idea when the UC Davis decisions will go out? I would have thought they'd be out by now. Seems like we have a bit of a break now before Harvard/Stanford/Columbia come out. Not looking forward to the wait. 8 applied/ 0 acceptances/ 3 rejections

There's still UCLA, MIT, Michigan yet to come before Harvard/Stanford/Columbia. But yeah, for the most part we'll be waiting until the end of the month seems like

14 minutes ago, scdaaljobe said:

Anyone have any idea when the UC Davis decisions will go out? I would have thought they'd be out by now. Seems like we have a bit of a break now before Harvard/Stanford/Columbia come out. Not looking forward to the wait. 8 applied/ 0 acceptances/ 3 rejections

The thing that's throwing me is that while last year, Stanford/Columbia came out late in Feb, it looks like it past years decisions HAVE come out sooner (even like Jan 30th soon!!). While probably this year is going to be like last year's, I'm...still refreshing those portals every 15 minutes lol

25 minutes ago, quesadilla said:

Is anyone else worried that the professors they mentioned on their SOP for schools like Harvard are TOO famous? Like why would a NYT bestseller want to work with me (even though our research interests are literally the same)?

Same! But they have to work with someone if they're still active in research? So you might be that someone, since you share the same research interests!

Edited by sandmoon
typo

2 hours ago, sandmoon said:

Same! But they have to work with someone if they're still active in research? So you might be that someone, since you share the same research interests!

True true! I just hope they don’t think I ripped off their idea and regurgitated it into my SOP. I came up with a really similar thesis before I read their stuff.

My application at Minnesota says "submitted-decided" but no result shows. I'm assuming they have emails coming out shortly. Anyone else seeing the same thing? 
EDIT: never mind, rejected. Disappointing, but that's OK. Wish I would have gotten an email to check the portal. 

Edited by schuaust