2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

17 hours ago, mackeycold said:

Does anyone have any feel for what the best qualitative programs are? How would Wisconsin rank in there? And does anyone have any general thoughts on how Wisconsin would compare to Colorado and Rice and how Colorado and Rice are? 

If these are your options, I would advise you to go to Wisconsin and not Colorado 

So, do you guys think that if haven't heard back from Notre Dame (not even to schedule an Interview) yet I should a abandon hope? I think I'll be admitted to another school (interview pending, but I got a very positive email from the committee), but I was hoping to be admitted in ND.

Comparative politics, by the way.

5 minutes ago, DuBois said:

Hey people ..When does Yale release its decisions ?

It looks like they release decisions around mid to late February but as last as the start of March. I would say the earliest would be in about two weeks but could be anytime in a three week window starting then. 

Does anyone have advice on how (or even whether) to respond to a super short personalized email from a professor at an admitted program? (I went to a lax school and I've never addressed a prof by anything other than their first names — should I address them as "Professor Lastname" or "Dr. Lastname" or just "Professor"???) 

2 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

Does anyone have advice on how (or even whether) to respond to a super short personalized email from a professor at an admitted program? (I went to a lax school and I've never addressed a prof by anything other than their first names — should I address them as "Professor Lastname" or "Dr. Lastname" or just "Professor"???) 

Dear Prof [ name ]

8 minutes ago, Gbrog said:

So, do you guys think that if haven't heard back from Notre Dame (not even to schedule an Interview) yet I should a abandon hope? I think I'll be admitted to another school (interview pending, but I got a very positive email from the committee), but I was hoping to be admitted in ND.

Comparative politics, by the way.

My interviewer for CP told me he was interviewing 8 and admitting 5. He made it sound like everyone has been given an interview request already, but I could be wrong. I got an acceptance email from him today but it’s not a formal one from the DGS. Best of luck with both schools!

5 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

Google if they have a PhD and if they do say Dr. Lastname

does anyone know if uChicago theory decisions have gone out? saw acceptances on the results page for all areas except theory. at this point, i'm assuming rejection, but there's still that little flame of hope...

36 minutes ago, quesadilla said:

My interviewer for CP told me he was interviewing 8 and admitting 5. He made it sound like everyone has been given an interview request already, but I could be wrong. I got an acceptance email from him today but it’s not a formal one from the DGS. Best of luck with both schools!

Congratulations!!! I hope I can get there too, but according to what you said I don't think I'll progress any further with my application. May I ask you who carried out your interview?

48 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

Yeah, I was wondering whether to respond to a personalized email as well - I opted not to for now, but now I'm rethinking. As far as addressing them, if they are a professor always use "Prof" or "Professor." If they have a PhD but are not a professor, use "Dr." Else, use "Mr./Ms." Professors, essentially as a rule nowadays, have a PhD, so technically "Professor" is a level above "Dr." because some instructors (lecturers, postdocs) don't have the title of "Professor" but do still have a PhD.

5 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Just got mine. They said about 4% acceptance rate, which seems really low. 

Especially since they mention that “over 400 applicants” number.  So we’re talking probably slightly over 16 admitted across all subfields?  Hmmm. 

Edited by IcedCovfefe

5 minutes ago, IcedCovfefe said:

Especially since they mention that “over 400 applicants” number.  So we’re talking probably slightly over 16 admitted across all subfields?  Hmmm. 

It seems outrageous honestly, if you look at their program statistics from last year they say 10% selectivity from 385 applicants. And last year was a five-year low. 

What they're implying this year is that they accepted fewer than 20 people (assuming they're being pretentious and rounding 5% to 4%). They accepted 38 or 39 last year. 

Lol I'm a little sore but more than that I'm so perplexed at what's going on. 

Edited by eggsalad14

3 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I can see that, sorta, their yield jumped from 38% to 54%, and they enrolled 20 instead of the usual 15 last year. 

Yep. Seems like there were some weird dynamics last year that led to Michigan having higher matriculation, and PhD students are expensive so they have to compensate. Sucks for those who applied this year.

What's going on with UMich? The results page shows several rejects but only one admit. If the decisions are out, where do those stand who have not heard by now? Any idea?