2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

Hi everyone: I received an e-mail from a UNC-Chapel Hill faculty member that I was admitted, with full tuition covered as well as a stipend. Could anyone tell me what the stipends for UNC usually are? They said I'll learn the specifics in my official ltr, but that's supposed to come in about 2 weeks and I'm rather curious.

Edited by martinn

4 minutes ago, martinn said:

Hi everyone: I received an e-mail from a UNC-Chapel Hill faculty member that I was admitted, with full tuition covered as well as a stipend. Could anyone tell me what the stipends for UNC usually are? They said I'll learn the specifics in my official ltr, but that's supposed to come in about 2 weeks and I'm rather curious.

You can use this website to look up stipends, but keep in mind that they do change on a year by year basis, so just look at it as a general range of stipends 

http://www.phdstipends.com

1 hour ago, martinn said:

What's your subfield if I may ask?

57 minutes ago, quesadilla said:

That’s so exciting! Do you think they’ve sent out all the comparative emails at once?

Thank you! From what other people are saying, it seems like all acceptances for all subfields will be out either today or tomorrow. Good luck!!

1 minute ago, TheBunny said:

I saw that someone got accepted to UMass Amherst. Can anyone confirm it? 

Yep that was me. Visiting days are Feb 28 and March 1. I'll definitely be there.

1 minute ago, mcm1 said:

Yep that was me. Visiting days are Feb 28 and March 1. I'll definitely be there.

Congratulations. I did not receive any e-mail but I was kinda sure that I will get in. I guess I did not. What was your subfield? I applied for IR

Edit: Amherst is a great place. 

Edited by TheBunny

4 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

Congratulations. I did not receive any e-mail but I was kinda sure that I will get in. I guess I did not. What was your subfield? I applied for IR

Edit: Amherst is a great place. 

I'm IR as well. Thanks. Amherst has some fantastic IR profs that I'm really excited to finally meet.

Are UCSD acceptances all out now? Anyone willing to claim a UCSD theory admit (only sub-field I don't see represented...)?

Heartfelt congratulations to everyone who received acceptances today! UNC, UCSD, Minnesota, UMass-Amherst....these are all fantastic schools and departments where anyone should feel really proud to attend.

Edited by wara

54 minutes ago, wara said:

Are UCSD acceptances all out now? Anyone willing to claim a UCSD theory admit (only sub-field I don't see represented...)?

Heartfelt congratulations to everyone who received acceptances today! UNC, UCSD, Minnesota, UMass-Amherst....these are all fantastic schools and departments where anyone should feel really proud to attend.

As far as I can tell, we have seen no UCSD and no UNC theory admits in these forums. Is theory in general slow on these things?

17 minutes ago, mackeycold said:

Does anyone have any feel for what the best qualitative programs are? How would Wisconsin rank in there? And does anyone have any general thoughts on how Wisconsin would compare to Colorado and Rice and how Colorado and Rice are? 

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean the best programs that do qualitative research or the best programs qualitatively speaking? In either case, not sure there's a good answer